• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

6 hours ago, ninagluck said:

on 11th of November we traditionally eat goose, so did I yesterday.

What is the reason for the goose?  I ask because I was in Germany this time of year in 2005 and the Hotel dining room special was goose.  I believe the only occasion I have been served goose in my entire life.  I assumed perhaps incorrectly that goose on the menu was an early Christmas thing.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's St. Martin's day ("Martinstag") and to honor the saint there will be bonfires, children parading in the dark with lanterns, singing and reciting poems. And there will be goose ("Martinsgans"), stemming from the legend of St. Martin and the geese, where, depending on traditional belief in your region, the geese either betrayed St. Martin while hiding or sustained him during his time hiding. In both versions, he and the flock are remembered by eating contemporary members of the latter ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4

The idea for dinner tonight was to go out for pizza.  Then we remembered that today was the annual epic football game between SUNY (State University of NY ) Cortland (our nearest town, location of our favorite pizza place) and Ithaca College (known as the Cortica Jug), Who ever wins there will be hoards of celebrating, usually very drunk, students every where in Cortland. ( A couple of years ago it got so bad that we made the national news). So we stayed home.

I had no plans - so - a lesson from MFK Fisher -  An Omelette and a Glass of Wine. Maybe several glasses. An omelette filled with sautéed tomatoes, onions and bacon, pan fried potatoes and a salad of endive, pears, red onions and cucumbers. 

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg

The best laid plans and all that....  The endive was supposed to be sous vided as per @mm84321 but my trusty Anova, which has never given me a lick of trouble, died at the 20 minute mark. I finished off the endive on the stove top.  Leftover pork roast and gravy completed the plate.  If you have never tried endive slowly braised in butter you haven't quite lived. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, ninagluck said:

@liamsaunt, would you mind sharing your cornbread recipe? we don't have a cornbread tradition and I am still experimenting

I'm not liamsaunt, but you may find this topic interesting: Cornbread.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Methi chole - chickpeas in a curry rich with fenugreek, gently sweet and quite hot - served over pancakes (made with yogurt and flavored with fennel seeds).

It might be a little unusual, but makes sense considering that fenugreek has a maple-like aroma to it. Some real maple syrup was added to give a little sweetness and balance the chili. The pancakes did a great job of soaking some of the curry, without turning overly soft.

20161112_191256.jpg

The remaining curry went into the freezer, and will accompany some cauliflower in a few weeks. 

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

On 11/12/2016 at 0:20 PM, ninagluck said:

@liamsaunt, would you mind sharing your cornbread recipe? we don't have a cornbread tradition and I am still experimenting

I used this recipe for the cornbread:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017494-east-coast-grills-cornbread

It's a bit cakier and sweeter than my usual cornbread.

y family came over for dinner yesterday and we had antipasto.  

Assorted meats and cheeses

meat and cheese.jpg

Mortadella stuffed with taleggio and baked

mortadella.jpg

Pepper frittata topped with an arugula, olive, and goat cheese salad

frittatta.jpg

There was also grilled bread, a bit pot of meatballs, and assorted marinated vegetables and olives.  My Dad's plate

dinner.jpg

My brother's plate.  He is very weird and is proud of the fact that he eats no vegetables. He insisted I take a photo of his plate.  I am not sure how he has managed to survive all these years.

bobby.jpg

• Like 14

@rotuts A really hot pan was used to crisp up the duck skin. Probably could have used a bit more fat rendering, for my taste.

Adding the diced  chorizo added an great depth to the sauce, BTW. I will do that a lot more for duck and perhaps pork.

Im going to have to move up to Duck.

I have not done a duck Br in a long time.

any tendons to tease out ?

I wonder what a very rare duck breast would be like MicroThin   ( ChefChoice'd ) in a sandwich ?

saving the fat for other applications of course .

this year I wanted to grow different vegetables from what I normally grow.  I decided to go for cardoons. todays harvest I served sauteed in anchovy butter under a parmesan/panko crust with gnocchi a la romagna from the freezer

IMG_2326.JPG

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I wonder what a very rare duck breast would be like MicroThin   ( ChefChoice'd ) in a sandwich ?

It is also VERY easy to make duck pastrami  or duck prosciutto. Just saying. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, rotuts said:

No tendons on these guys.

Best duck deal I can find is from Costco online. Something like 6 big breasts..about as big as my hand..and 6 confitted duck legs for around $150. Sounds like a lot until you look at the scrawny supermarket ducks. They run about $23 and have less meat on both their breasts than on one of these. A costco breast can feed about 3 servings. http://www.costco.com/D'Artagnans-Duck-Magret-Breast-and-Duck-Leg-Confit.product.11607531.html

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

I recommend checking with restaurant/institutional distributors. 

This is basically the middle of nowhere and I can buy good 'natural' ducks (if not from the Amish or Mennonites) at a food distributor — $50 minimum (cash and carry.)

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, shain said:

Methi chole - chickpeas in a curry rich with fenugreek, gently sweet and quite hot - served over pancakes (made with yogurt and flavored with fennel seeds).

It might be a little unusual, but makes sense considering that fenugreek has a maple-like aroma to it. Some real maple syrup was added to give a little sweetness and balance the chili. The pancakes did a great job of soaking some of the curry, without turning overly soft.

I was interested in this one until I read a couple recipes. I'm pretty sure there's never been a fresh fenugreek leaf within 500 km of where I live and that's not likely to change anytime soon. Sounds tasty though.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 11/12/2016 at 11:20 AM, ninagluck said:

I made East Coast Grill's cornbread for the first time a couple weeks ago.  We both liked it a lot.

• Like 1

Some Chicken Marylands on there way to the dinner table...

Very tender & juicy.  I had them in a brine for 4 hours.

IMG_20161113_193910.jpg

Sunday night and I was way to tired to get pics on the plate.  Sorry.

• Like 9

Dinners I wished I cooked but did not; I'm in Hong Kong for the week (actual dinners described hither):

But I saw these incredible red prawns in a supermarket here (hard to get a sense of scale from this photo but they were bigger than my forearm!) and was very much contemplating wrestling one back to my hotel room and going at it with my tiny kitchenette. Sadly, decorum prevailed.

IMG_9294.JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 9

Braciole, risotto from the Instant Pot (Hip Pressure Cooking recipe), and roasted broccoli from the CSO. I'm not certain how I ever cooked before eGullet taught me the wonders of all these small kitchen appliances.

braciole, risotto.jpg

This was before I cut the strings that tied the rolls together. That's really not worms on the lower right.

Tonight was a disappointment -- pork chops baked in sauerkraut with some brown sugar, vinegar, white wine and caraway; cucumber salad, German potato salad. I guess I'd cooked all weekend and was tired of it. Potato salad dressing was too thin, cucumbers had a tough skin, and the pork chops just didn't taste good. No photos.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It was a full weekend of carb overload!

Turkey on Friday, prime rib & yorkies on Sat.

Crab cakes, salad and udon noodles for lunch today.

Only had daughter and s-i-l here for supper tonight. We were all still feeling full, so it was Fuzzy Melon soup with sliced pork tenderloin. S-i-l didn't get any of the udon noodles (with leftover fried eggs from breakfast) I made for lunch (for the little granddaughters), so I made him a plateful... No pictures from supper, but here's what was for lunch.

The crab cakes were made with 2 lbs of crab claw meat (Phillips brand) a la Emeril Lagasse.

Emerial's Crab Cakes0001.jpg

SuperSalad0002.jpg 

Udon Noodles0003.jpg             

Host's note: for more delicious inspiration, click here for the next segment of the Dinner topic.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com