• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

I was thinking of a few jugs of MR for dinner tonight.

Im thinking of moving to HardLiquor.   perhaps with some ( now legal in MA ) Herbs.

Ill stop by TotalWine on the way to TJ's

see what they've got.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

May switch to a bosom caresser.

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Inquiring minds need to know...

I'm with gfweb...what the heck is a bosom caresser?

errrr...Someone we know? :o

Or perhaps a different kind of booze...which would make it a "booze-um caresser". ;) xD

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

image.jpeg

Today I was lucky enough to be taken grocery shopping which was quite a thrill compared to submitting a shopping list online and having someone else select my produce!  Of course I went overboard. Tonight's dinner was roasted delicata squash and roasted mushrooms with a simple salad from Power Vegetables. I forgot to buy parsley. 

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

White bean chicken chili  tonight.  Broke down a chicken.  Used the white meat for the chili. The leg quarters and wings will be used at a later date.  The carcass made the base of the stock along with the bean liquid 

We really dug the chili.  Onions, garlic, celery and  carrots were the aromatics along with parsley and a touch of cilantro,  poblanos and jalapeño for depth and heat 

Edited by scubadoo97
Sp (log)
  • Like 5

November 9th and it was +18C!

Picked up a couple of bone-in strip loins - perfect for the BBQ.

Eaten with sauteed mushrooms, roasted cauliflower, and tater tots for hubby. Haven't had those for a long long time!

Getting a turkey ready to brine and "deep fry" in the Big Easy Friday when the kids are all home for a belated Canadian Thanksgiving...

Steak & Tots0003.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'm not much of a dinner eater but I needed something to go with all my wine and whining.  A salad with roasted delicata squash, fresh apple, dried tart cherries, pickled red onion, sweet-spicy pecans, blue cheese and sliced sous vide chicken breast.

Dressing was a maple Dijon vinaigrette.

IMG_4114.jpg

And there was wine.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 17

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Inquiring minds need to know...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146762-drinks-2014-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1957621

Edit:  comfort food.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:54 AM, HungryChris said:

I just found one this morning on sale because the use or freeze by date was coming up. To me, that means it has been "wet aged" which is a good thing. It is in the brine as I type and I will deliver a full report when I make the first sandwich.

HC

IMG_0224.JPG

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:37 PM, Okanagancook said:

Well, if you do it again, we would love to see your steps, etc.

I can get whole tongue frozen.  I've done one once, posted here somewhere, and it turned out fabulous.  Thin slicing is important seeing the meat is so dense and strong tasting.

Well, it's been just about 3 weeks and it's time for an update.  Right after I took this pic, I took it out of the cryovac, trimmed a bit of fat off the bottom.

IMG_0226 - Copy.JPG

Mixed up the brine (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of Tender Quick), put the beef in the brine and injected it well, all over.

IMG_0228 - Copy.JPG

Added some bay leaves, rosemary, black peppercorns, hot sauce and held it submerged with a dish, covered it and put it in the fridge for 3 weeks.

IMG_0230 - Copy.JPG

In the past, I would braise it for about 3 hours, but this time I put in the IP with 2 cups of water, a splash of cider vinegar, more bay leaves, raw onions and unpeeled garlic. Cooked it for 90 minutes and released the pressure after 10 minutes. I ran it under cold water to get it cool enough to handle and the skin slipped off in one big piece. Then it went into the fridge to cool. It is much easier to slice when cold.

IMG_0404.JPG

Well, of course, I had to make a sandwich. I went for a Reuben.

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

It just doesn't get much better than that!

HC

IMG_0409.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

I found this recipe on line looking for things to do with all the leeks I have hanging around from the garden. Salmon with apple butter sauce and creamed leeks. All the reviews raved about the sauce. I thought it tasted like, well, buttery apple sauce. But it did go well with the salmon much to my husband's surprise. And I really like creamed leeks. There was also rice and a salad with endive, pears, cucumber and red onion. And wine. Right now, lots of wine seems called for. 

DSC01814.jpg

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎09 at 11:15 AM, rotuts said:
20 hours ago, daveb said:

Well that takes the fun out of that!  

bosom caresser

So does drinking it... at least, for me. Way too eggy tasting.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

48 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Tonight I made lahamagine for dinner.  Flour tortillas makes a good sub for the traditional base.  

image.jpeg

Sent me to google, that one did.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

On 2016-10-22 at 6:54 AM, HungryChris said:

I just found one this morning on sale because the use or freeze by date was coming up. To me, that means it has been "wet aged" which is a good thing. It is in the brine as I type and I will deliver a full report when I make the first sandwich.

HC

IMG_0224.JPG

On 2016-10-21 at 3:37 PM, Okanagancook said:

Well, if you do it again, we would love to see your steps, etc.

I can get whole tongue frozen.  I've done one once, posted here somewhere, and it turned out fabulous.  Thin slicing is important seeing the meat is so dense and strong tasting.

Well, it's been just about 3 weeks and it's time for an update.  Right after I took this pic, I took it out of the cryovac, trimmed a bit of fat off the bottom.

IMG_0226 - Copy.JPG

Mixed up the brine (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of Tender Quick, put the beef in the brine and injected it well, all over.

IMG_0228 - Copy.JPG

Added some bay leaves, rosemary, black peppercorns, hot sauce and held it submerged with a dish, covered it and put it in the fridge for 3 weeks.

IMG_0230 - Copy.JPG

In the past, I would braise it for about 3 hours, but this time I put in the IP with 2 cups of water, a splash of cider vinegar, more bay leaves, raw onions and unpeeled garlic. Cooked it for 90 minutes and released the pressure after 10 minutes. I ran it under cold water to get it cool enough to handle and the skin slipped off in one big piece. Then it went into the fridge to cool. It is much easier to slice when cold.

I am surprised it took 90 minutes.  Anyways, looks forking amazing!

great job.

• Like 2

A co-worker with my son gave him some ground deer meat and I made some meatloaf with part of it. I started with a recipe for deer meat loaf from 1949 called Meta Givens Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking and updated it with a few additions which included some onion and carrot and topped with brown sugar and tomato and a bacon weave. 

DSCN3830.jpg

DSCN3833.jpg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, HungryChris said:

IMG_0226 - Copy.JPG

Mixed up the brine (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of Tender Quick, put the beef in the brine and injected it well, all over.

IMG_0228 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0230 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

Well, of course, I had to make a sandwich. I went for a Reuben.

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

It just doesn't get much better than that!

HC

HCIMG_0409.JPG

NICE!!!!!  I'm saving your post.  Would love to do this.  Good job!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

So does drinking it... at least, for me. Way too eggy tasting.

But by that time it shouldn't matter.

Dinner here is an overly old aged rib pork chop, grilled.  Baked potato, bread, and Brussels sprouts.  The potato is being baked by what is represented by the NY Times to be the James Beard method:  425 deg F, two hours in salt.  Contrasted with the Jo Norvelle Walker tradition of 450 deg F, hour and a half or so, in salt.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou