• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

On 7/29/2016 at 9:47 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Probably the last iteration of the bacon-egg-muffin.  With sweet potato fries, watermelon and tomato.

Toast bread round, pre-bake w/o egg for 5 min, add egg and bake an additional 8 min.  400 degF steam-bake in Cuisi steam oven.

IMG_3453.jpg

Bacon crispy - check

Toast round crisp - check

Egg yolk runny - check

IMG_3454.jpg

I much appreciate @robirdstx's suggestion to pre-cook the bacon cup with toast round and spinach/mushroom/onion layer and @rotuts's recommendation of a CI piece on baked eggs Florentine.

The sweet potato fries were the last of a bag in the freezer and I put them into the unused muffin cups to bake along with the egg.

That is a thing of beauty. What was the temp?

On 7/29/2016 at 10:34 AM, rotuts said:

TJ's SPF's neer worked for me.  did not think to use the CSB

that's the temp and total time  if one were not to use cups ?

Ill try them again.

Re: SPFs -- if you have Schwan's delivery frozen stuff in your 'hood, they do a good SPF.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Thanks.  I have a bunch of carrots with tops in the fridge and need ideas to use the tops 

There is a recipe for "roasted carrots with carrot-top pesto" from July 2013 page 91.  Uses basil also. Should be able to find it on their website.

2 minutes ago, Winston Jefferson said:

A rutabaga is within season during the Fall and Winter months. Surely you would not eat a tomato in December? Thus why would one prepare a rutabaga dish in July?

You confine your thoughts to the Northern Hemisphere.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Spork said:

i-37cdQqf-L.jpg

Don't know where they got it from, but:

Real pepper. Nanny would have used hot banana. I use habanero. Milk and cream are two different things.

http://www.chowhound.com/pictures/fall-soup-recipes/smoked-paprika-rutabaga-bisque

Definitely an underappreciated and underrated vegetable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

There is a recipe for "roasted carrots with carrot-top pesto" from July 2013 page 91.  Uses basil also. Should be able to find it on their website.

Thanks.  I did pesto the last time I had tops.  Was recently looking at a recipe by Michel Richard.  A little more involved but looked good. I may have to give it a try

• Like 2

I tried my hand at zucchini fritters this morning. They were good, but did not seem worth the effort when compared to simply frying the breaded coins. I bought the big hot sauce with the intention of using it to refill my smaller bottle, but then discovered it had a shaker top too.

HC

IMG_1556.JPG

• Like 10

I got up hungry this morning (because I didn't have time to eat dinner last night amid canning tomatoes), so I cooked bacon (needed some chopped up bacon to keep in the fridge anyway), and eggs. Added a slab of Anadama bread toasted in the CSO, topped with some fresh ricotta and apple butter.

breakfast 0802.jpg

I'm ready for the day.I

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

More stuff on toast.  

Today's version taken from Smitten Kitchen's Summer Squash Pizza.  I planned to make the Sara Moulton zucchini with lemon and thyme later on today so I did the grating and salting and pulled out a handful for this and mixed in some grated gruyere.

Instead of a pizza crust, I put the zucchini/gruyere mixture on toasted ciabatta that I rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil.  Sprinkled with a bit of parm and into the Cuisi oven for 10 min.

IMG_3474.jpg

I must consider trying the pizza as it looked really good and I bet the leftovers would be excellent for breakfast....maybe even with an egg on it :D!

• Like 16