• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Baked two pizzas yesterday for breakfast. The dough had been in the fridge since last Tuesday.    

I had intended to make the pizzas for dinner on Sunday night and never got around to it.  

Tomato%20Olive%20Pizza%20July%2025th%2C%

One for my son.

Tomato%20Olive%20Pizza%20July%2025th%2C%

Topped with tomatoes, olives and basil.

Mushroom%20Pizza%20July%2025th%2C%202016

and one for Moe and I

Mushroom%20Pizza%20for%20breakfast%20Jul

topped with mushrooms.

• Like 19

Toasted ciabatta topped with homemade whole milk ricotta mixed with some tapenade and lemon zest, olive oil drizzle.  Pickled mushrooms inspired by the ones @Anna N made over here and farmers market tomato.

IMG_3433.jpg

As I was eating, I kept thinking that a glass of wine would go nicely with this so perhaps there will be a repeat later in the day....or another day.

• Like 11

Stir fried zucchini, fresh tomatoes and over easy eggs. No real complaints except that I had to get up from the table and make some Italian toast for "moppage". Not sure why I didn't see that coming.

IMG_1507.JPG

Other than that, no complaints!

HC

IMG_1512.JPG

• Like 10

Probably the last iteration of the bacon-egg-muffin.  With sweet potato fries, watermelon and tomato.

Toast bread round, pre-bake w/o egg for 5 min, add egg and bake an additional 8 min.  400 degF steam-bake in Cuisi steam oven.

IMG_3453.jpg

Bacon crispy - check

Toast round crisp - check

Egg yolk runny - check

IMG_3454.jpg

I much appreciate @robirdstx's suggestion to pre-cook the bacon cup with toast round and spinach/mushroom/onion layer and @rotuts's recommendation of a CI piece on baked eggs Florentine.

The sweet potato fries were the last of a bag in the freezer and I put them into the unused muffin cups to bake along with the egg.

• Like 17

They're just the Trader Joe's frozen sweet potato fries but they do crisp up fairly nicely.  In my regular oven, they can go from soft to cinders awfully quickly but the steam-bake function seems more forgiving.

I gave them 10 minutes on a baking sheet then stuck them in the muffin cups.  Not exactly my usual protocol but it got everything ready at the same time!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

that's the temp and total time  if one were not to use cups ?

Steam bake, 425 deg F for around 22 minutes.  I usually pull them out and flip the bigger ones over at some point.

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

TJ's SPF's neer worked for me.

I wouldn't say they are super crispy but they do get a nice crunch at the browned edges, especially when you eat them right away.

Great job blue_dolphin.   Very "showy", excellent for a breakfast for guests.

This morning was some fried potatoes and spiced lamb mince that I wanted to use up (made for Bon Appetite's recipe which has the minced stuffed inside a pita bread then cooked on the grill...a lunch item).

Lamb anytime of the day is fine with me.  We get lovely free range, grass fed lamb and it is very mild and tender.

DSC01549.jpg

• Like 11

I had a few tablespoons of rendered duck fat, from the pan-seared duck breast we had for dinner the other night, and one lonely potato, so...

image.jpeg

...we had duck fat roasted potatoes and onion, eggs over easy (also cooked in duck fat) and applewood smoked bacon.

• Like 14

I am by myself this weekend and can eat whatever suits me for any given meal.

Tomato and cucumber salad with creme fraiche and dill.  Veggies from my neighbors garden.

image.jpg

Last of homemade bread pan fried in duck fat.

image.jpg

Hot dogs that split open in  CSO steam bake!  Still tasty!

image.jpg

• Like 8