• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

this is very interesting.  Ill try it soon.

if you don't want to chop off the end of the corn to get close to the base's max diameter , chop the corn off at its base, then take your

kitchen scissors and snip up to that maximum diameter area.   why ?  your loosing at least two mouthful of delicious corn

although  Mouthful is a relative volume.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this is very interesting.  Ill try it soon.

if you don't want to chop off the end of the corn to get close to the base's max diameter , chop the corn off at its base, then take your

kitchen scissors and snip up to that maximum diameter area.   why ?  your loosing at least two mouthful of delicious corn

although  Mouthful is a relative volume.

Not sure faffing about with scissors and A REALLY HOT corn cob really suits my lifestyle or my dexterity. Bite the bullet -- lop off its behind. xD

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

fair enough.  its a step after the chop but might not be needed at all based on 

@robirdstx 

data.

Data faulty!  Cob already semi-naked.xD

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

well .....

more research required.

of course , you could save the cobs and the rest of the non-edible stuff and make

the corn-cob inspired Corn Chowder.

Im wondering if a little crispy , slightly smoky bacon might be a good garnish for the CC ?

• Like 2

This morning's breakfast. My wife and daughter both crave onigiri frequently, they stop by a nearby Japanese bakery to buy more than they can eat. I figured I could pretty quickly pay for some new kitchen gear by keeping the profit in my pocket and making them at home. These are made with scrambled egg, chive, and some teriyaki glazed salmon that I recently smoked. My wife felt like a school girl heading off to work with her bento of onigiri.

2016-08-18 09.51.32.jpg

2016-08-18 09.57.36.jpg

2016-08-18 10.09.08.jpg

Edited by MRE
spelling (log)
  • Like 13

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

15 minutes ago, chefmd said:

A little bit of left over bread with Humboldt Fog cheese.  Espresso instead of glass of wine since it was breakfast ;)

That always gets me at breakfast time, when I've put together something that would be so perfect with a glass of wine.   Of course, if I gave into those thoughts,  I'd have to go directly back to bed for a while and start over....

Edited to add:  Love Humboldt Fog :x!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

well .....

more research required.

of course , you could save the cobs and the rest of the non-edible stuff and make

Im wondering if a little crispy , slightly smoky bacon might be a good garnish for the CC ?

rotuts,

That is how I make chowders. Cook the bacon till crispy in the pan I will make chowder in, set bacon aside, and crumble when cool, but reserve it to top the finished chowder bowls. I use the bacon fat to saute the onion, or any other ingredient I think would benefit from it, and proceed with the recipe. After plating, I put the bacon bits on top, and sometimes a little grated cheese if I feel like. I'm not in love with the kind of flabby texture the bacon takes on if simmered in the chowder, but it still tastes good, and individual tastes vary. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

Broiled English muffin with Tomato butter  and a slightly overcooked egg.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

STARVING this morning...not much to eat yesterday and good cool sleeping conditions revive my appetite.

Made a small tuna salad yesterday night : individual package of light tuna in water, minced red onion, sweet relish, celery salt, mayo and a tiny bit of Marzetti's original slaw dressing.

Nice and cold to just fork out of the container.  Only ate half - the other half will get mixed into a handful of cooked elbows.

OK that itch has been scratched for another 6 months or so.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On August 18, 2016 at 0:50 PM, rotuts said:

well .....

more research required.

Corn cob stock really pushes the corn flavor up a notch

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Home made ryebread lightly toasted, topped with homemade ricotta, lightly roasted peach slices and tajin (which is so far past its best before date that I binned it immediately after breakfast).  Credit goes to a number of people for the inspiration.  

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

Damn eh?

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_8517.JPG

1 cup assorted cherry tomatoes; 8 spring onions, peeled, trimmed and halved; and 5 garlic cloves -- seasoned with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

IMG_8527.JPG

Roast at 400 F for 45 minutes or until the tomatoes have burst.

Next time, I will line the bottom with foil and parchment paper instead of just parchment paper.  The foil prevents scorching on the tray underneath.  Oops.

Toast bread slices until golden brown.  Smear roasted garlic on bread, then spread each slice with a thin film of ricotta cheese.  Transfer tomatoes and onion to a bowl, then fold in torn basil leaves and 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil.  Mound roasted tomato mixture atop bread slices. 

Serve by itself or as you see here, with some soft-cooked eggs.

IMG_8535.JPG

Roasted tomato and onion crostini, soft-cooked eggs.

There was also this:

IMG_8524.JPG

IMG_8544.JPG

IMG_8551.JPG

IMG_8558.JPG

IMG_8567.JPG

Zucchini galette with champignon mushrooms and bacon.

• Like 13

Damn and blast!

I bought some beautifully fresh eggs and carefully poached one while simultaneously toasting some home made bread. The toast was ready and buttered and I was just about to scoop the marginally undercooked egg out of the barely simmering water to rest it on some kitchen towel to drain a little while continuing to cook to perfection in its own residual heat - something I've done a zillion times.

Then my cell phone bleeped to tell me I had a text message. At 7 am? Like, a fool, I checked it. Nothing important, of course. Then I returned to my egg, which had tipped over my preferred done-ness level. Ten seconds. :(

IMG_3809.jpg

bleep - bleep - bleep

IMG_3810.jpg

Still, it tasted OK.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Rapini and grape tomatoes, both a little long in the tooth, sauteed in bacon fat and topped with two eggs which, like @liuzhou's got a tad overdone. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I have been looking foreword to these first few shishito peppers for quite a while and they were a welcome addition. More to come, I hope. The first time I ever had them was at Ippudo Ramen on 4th Ave in Manhattan. They were blistered on the flat top and served with yuzu salt. I just loved them and spent quite a bit of time trying to track them down with little luck. Now I order seeds from Kitazawa Seed Co. every year and plant them inside on income tax day and outside in June.

HC

IMG_1816.JPG 

IMG_1815.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8