• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Heh. When asked to describe my time there my shorthand is usually "something like living in a Stephen King novel, except without zombies and vampires and whatnot". I realise he's actually a Maine resident, but his depiction of small town rural Maine was very recognisable to me!

At least there were a couple of OK Mom and Pop pizza places we got to eat at once in a while. :)

• Like 5

While waiting for the peach blueberry kuchen to finish baking some cold coconut pineapple fried rice and 2 of the sweet and sour meatballs with a little extra gravy.  Reading eGullet and prepping the weekly shopping order.

Warm kuchen out of the oven and a small piece with some vanilla yoghurt....just for quality control don't you know.  Would be interesting with some ice cream.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Squash from the neighbors garden sautéed with tomatoes.  Grilled hot dogs were eaten before photo was taken.  It was a rather late breakfast after walking on the beach and everyone was hungry.

image.jpg

• Like 8

not pretty :

TB Breakfast.jpg

Turkey Burger w a light dusting of Penzey's Bratwurst seasoning on a thick tomato slice on Bibb lettuce.  pan sauce

Visuals improved w a dab of Hellmans spread on the top.

far tastier than it looks.

Maybe the Heat has something to do with it .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13

41 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

First cook in the Instapot was boiled eggs with toast from the CSO.  Very nice.

Excellent use of 2 of my current top 3 favorite small kitchen appliances: Cuisi steam oven, Instant Pot and Anova - eG-inspired purchases all 3 :)!

• Like 3

First course - a mostly monochrome Monday morning view with my coffee:

image.jpeg

Followed by breakfast on the porch:

image.jpeg

Scrambled eggs, cherry tomatoes, the Sara Moulton zucchini with onion, lemon and thyme that @Anna N mentioned over on the garden thread, flatbread bushed with olive oil, garlic and thyme.

That zucchini is really great.  The salting/draining step removes enough water that the zucchini retain a nice texture after cooking and the lemon and thyme add flavor but don't overpower the squash.  That's a keeper!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add links (log)
  • Like 15

Peering into the fridge this morning and came out with a jar of maraschino cherries. Which I ate. The whole jar.

I credit this to having purchased some vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt because Kroger had it marked down, and I had not had a chance to make any. My yogurt and granola consumption has markedly reduced, although I even have fresh peaches in the fridge.

And the cherries were...there.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

First course - a mostly monochrome Monday morning view with my coffee:

image.jpeg

Monochrome? I think, you are officially jaded by the spectacular "first courses" you've been enjoying. :) Nice breakfast too, and I am going to try Sarah's zucchini recipe. I learned to swim on the VT side of Lake Champlain at my stepmom's parents' 6 bedroom "cottage". 9_9 I hope it is as gorgeous and clean as it used to be when I was there for you to enjoy now.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Showers and thunderstorms on and off all day yesterday so I wasn't sure what my AM coffee spot would bring...

image.jpeg

The last English muffin, peanut butter and banana, blueberries and iced coffee on a cloudy porch:

image.jpeg

Thus fortified, I'm heading to the airport and home so I will stop spamming the breakfast topic with my off-topic sunrises :D:D.  Though they do add a lot to my morning coffee!

• Like 14