• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Fried eggs, stir fried zucchini, Italian toast and spicy hot pickled ribbon zucchini. The hot sauce and stir fried zucchini makes my mouth water and the hot pickled zucchini makes my eyes water, in a good way.

HC

IMG_1633.JPGIMG_1634.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

Zucchine al tegame.

Basically, zucchini cooked in garlic-infused olive oil and a very minimal amount of water until the zucchini is soft, extremely tender and "creamy".  We served that with a few slices of mozzarella cheese and some Italian bread.

IMG_7940.JPG

Cranberry beans with lamb sausage and heirloom tomato.

Contains a base of onion fried in olive oil for 35 minutes.  Sausage cooked in olive oil in a separate pan, deglazed with white wine.  Added onions to the sausage, then the diced tomatoes, salt, black pepper, cooked cranberry beans.  Minced parsley to finish.

• Like 10

ICYMI, over on the Dinner thread, I made a Sichuanese 'ma la' (hot and numbing) hotpot base with a zillion spices, a billion chillies, and whole pack of butter, to boil yabbies (Australian crawfish) in.

So this is more of last night's precious, wonderful, unthrowawayable ma la hotpot butter, redolent with spices and essence de yabby.

Turned into fridge-clearing-out leftovers breakfast of champions; the hotpot butter spread on toasted brioche rolls, topped with grilled short rib that's been caramelised in fish sauce and black pepper, a smear of hoi sin sauce for sweetness, sriracha and shredded green onion. 

13900129_10154393972699122_7401295250228088554_n.jpg

roll.jpg

• Like 17

IMG_8091.JPG

IMG_8095.JPG

Padrón peppers, heirloom tomato, extra-virgin olive oil, Maldon sea salt.

IMG_8100.JPG

Insalata caprese.

Not a completely egg-less breakfast.  There was a four-egg omelette which B and I split between us.

As a bonus, I started on prep for tonight's dinner. 

(In case you haven't noticed, I rarely cook during the week mostly because I typically don't get home from work until 8 or 9 pm. That's why you almost never see pix. B knows to leave me alone in the kitchen on weekends because cooking is my therapy.)

IMG_8059.JPG

5 cups cold water, 1 quart cranberry beans, a couple of sprigs each of summer savory and chervil, a glug of extra-virgin olive oil, and a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.

IMG_8113.JPG

40 minutes later. These beans will cool in their broth. Half will be used tonight, and the remainder throughout the week.

I also made dessert for tonight.  Technically the effort was begun last night for reasons you will see below.

IMG_7980.JPG

1 stick butter cut into cubes.  Freeze for 10 minutes.

IMG_7984.JPG

In a food processor or stand mixer, combine 1 cup AP flour, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar and butter.  With the motor running and if you're in a humid climate, add 2 tbsp. ice water.  If not, add 3 tbsp.  Process until flour resembles coarse cornmeal.  

IMG_7987.JPG

This is about right.  Turn out flour-butter mixture on a floured board.  Dough will eventually cohere.  Form into a disk like so:

IMG_7992.JPG

Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour or preferably overnight.

IMG_8012.JPG

Clockwise from left:  4 tbsp. AP flour, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 beaten egg, 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest, 1 tbsp. lemon juice.

Pre-heat oven to 400 F (204 C).  Line a  baking tray with parchment paper.  If you don't have parchment paper, grease the tray with unsalted butter.

IMG_8015.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

IMG_8023.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

1 lb. assorted stone fruit (nectarines, peaches) that was peeled, pitted and then coarsely diced.

To peel fruit:  make an x on the bottom of each fruit as shown above.  Place in a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, then lift out with a slotted spoon and plunge in a bowl of ice water.  Peel will slip right off.

IMG_8035.JPG

Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest and a pinch of kosher salt in a large bowl.  Add fruit and lemon juice.  Mix well.  Set aside.

IMG_8036.JPG

Take out the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly-floured board.  Lightly flour your rolling pin too.

Roll out the dough until it's about 12"-13" across.  Transfer the dough by rolling it up on your rolling pin,

IMG_8042.JPG

and then unroll on the parchment paper lined tray.

IMG_8045.JPG

I like to smear the bottom of the galette with jam.  This helps punch up any fruit flavor.

IMG_8047.JPG

2 tbsp. nectarine conserve from http://junetaylorjams.com

IMG_8048.JPG

Spoon fruit in the center, making sure to leave at least a 2" rim around.  Fold crust over, making sure to overlap every so often.  Brush crust with beaten egg.  Sprinkle 2 tbsp. sugar over the egg wash.  

IMG_8052.JPG

Bake in a pre-heated 400 F oven for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.  Remove tray from oven and cool.  Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

IMG_8073.JPG

Stone fruit galette.

• Like 18

@blue_dolphin

yeah. Somebody accidentally brought me the multigrain ones…don't go there either!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning I halved some Honey Punch pluots from the farmers market, brushed them with honey and lemon juice and broiled them.  

Toasted ciabatta topped with homemade whole milk ricotta and slices of those still-warm broiled pluots:

IMG_3513.jpg

Summer on toast!

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Grilled Chicken and Mushroom Quesadilla

image.jpeg

Ok, those flat breads look awesome.  Are they flour tortillas?  They look nice and soft and not chewy.  How do you make yours?  Minimal kneading of possibly cake and all purpose flour mix with a touch of baking powder?  Rest for an hour. Divide dough then rest again for 1 minutes.  Cook 30 sec/side x 3??????

51 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Ok, those flat breads look awesome.  Are they flour tortillas?  They look nice and soft and not chewy.  How do you make yours?  Minimal kneading of possibly cake and all purpose flour mix with a touch of baking powder?  Rest for an hour. Divide dough then rest again for 1 minutes.  Cook 30 sec/side x 3??????

Flour tortillas, made in house at my local Kroger grocery store. This new store just opened recently and this was the first time I have tried their tortillas. They were still warm when I bought them, nice and soft, and their flavor is excellent!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Flour tortillas, made in house at my local Kroger grocery store. This new store just opened recently and this was the first time I have tried their tortillas. They were still warm when I bought them, nice and soft, and their flavor is excellent!

Just curious.... The Homesick Texan talks about flour tortillas Texas-style as being different. Is this what we are looking at?  Soft, puffy tortillas?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just curious.... The Homesick Texan talks about flour tortillas Texas-style as being different. Is this what we are looking at?  Soft, puffy tortillas?

Well, I compared the ingredient lists of the two and both are made with oil vs lard and contain leavening. The times I have made my own flour tortillas I have used only flour, salt, shortening and water. They did puff up when cooking but were not near as thick. I like both types.

I had been buying fresh flour tortillas from another grocery store and was looking to see which I preferred. These Kroger tortillas have basicly the same ingredient list as the other but have so much more flavor. And the store is closer, too!

• Like 1

On the topic of soft flour tortillas:  We were at a winery BBQ a couple of weeks ago and the chef made these incredibly soft tacos which he prepared to receive a chunk of pork belly and some kind of mango sauce.  Anyway, the tacos were amazing.  Not very large, maybe three bites.  I asked him how he made them and he said the secret is to not handle the dough very much...like pastry.  So I googled around and found this site:  http://www.lomexicano.com/recipe/flour-tortillas

I used the variation at the bottom for smaller tortillas.  These were the best ones I have made.  I little thicker than my normal ones and I used rendered pork lard :-)  I put the ingredients in a food processor and blended just until combined, turned the dough onto the counter and shaped it into a disk.  So very little handling.  They were cooked for 30 seconds on each side and then 30 sec more on the first side.  Not very brown, heat regulation is important.

• Like 5

Yes, this is dessert for breakfast:

IMG_3522.jpg

A small wedge of fig torte, blue cheese, spicy walnuts and black coffee.  For dessert, I'd add a little glass of port but that might be a bit much for breakfast, even for me 9_9!

Edited to add that the torte was still warm from the oven but I put the plate with torte and cheese in the Cuisi oven on "warm" @ 125F while the coffee brewed - just perfect to take the fridge chill off the cheese.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 15