• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

32 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I think they look pretty good after, too!

HC

Totally gorgeous. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On August 29, 2016 at 5:04 AM, rarerollingobject said:

Pretty before, less pretty but more delicious after; apple puff pastry roses. It's just slices of macerated apple, wound through puff pastry cups.

Baked with innards of apricot jam and cinnamon/clove/nutmeg/chilli and ground rose petal sugar.

rose3.jpg

rose1.jpg

rose2.jpg

Where on earth do you come up with these combinations!  Very unusual but delicious looking.

• Like 3

Egg Salad , ran out of toast :

Egg Salad.jpg

3 min HP IP'd egg  large.  chilled over night in frig w 11 of its friends , Hellmans , S & P

delicious.   this is one of the rare , if not unique instances  ( egg salad ) where a little less mayo is better than a little more.

IP thread here:

note the yolk.   Yum !

• Like 8

After last night's heavy dinner, I wanted something much lighter for breakfast. I steamed a half dozen eggs on the stove top and, after letting them chill for a bit, had one for breakfast today.

image.jpeg

Easy peel!

image.jpeg

Perfect!

image.jpeg

Salt and Black Pepper added!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Egg Salad , ran out of toast :

Egg Salad.jpg

3 min HP IP'd egg  large.  chilled over night in frig w 11 of its friends , Hellmans , S & P

delicious.   this is one of the rare , if not unique instances  ( egg salad ) where a little less mayo is better than a little more.

IP thread here:

note the yolk.   Yum !

I agree completely with less mayo for egg salad.  When I was looking for help to make perfect egg salad, folks here advised me to use much less mayo than I thought would be necessary and taste.  I probably use a third of what I used to!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

After last night's heavy dinner, I wanted something much lighter for breakfast. I steamed a half dozen eggs on the stove top and, after letting them chill for a bit, had one for breakfast today.

image.jpeg

Easy peel!

image.jpeg

Perfect!

image.jpeg

Salt and Black Pepper added!

I always steam my eggs now.  I saw it on America's Test Kitchen and it works for both soft- and hard-cooked.  Easier to peel, too, it seems to me.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2016 at 7:04 AM, rarerollingobject said:

Pretty before, less pretty but more delicious after; apple puff pastry roses. It's just slices of macerated apple, wound through puff pastry cups.

Baked with innards of apricot jam and cinnamon/clove/nutmeg/chilli and ground rose petal sugar.

rose3.jpg

rose1.jpg

rose2.jpg

Just gorgeous. With a wedge of cheddar on the side!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@robirdstx 

nice.   very nice.  like the green onion addition.   do you   "" window-grow "" your own ?

now that I have some  sourdough bread from TJ 's   ( pigs that fly clone 0

Im thinking of a tomato - egg salad toastie soon

lightly toast sourdough in the CSB  for a little base line crunch    sliced tomatoes on top , hint of steam-broil on them

then a 2 egg salad on top of that.   steam broil until lightly golden.

egg salad is a frequently forgotten gem  sur-le-plate.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Here's a "Summer Punch" plumcot and an "Emerald Beaut" pluot from the farmers market, brushed with a mix of ginger infused simple syrup and lemon juice, ready for the oven:

IMG_3619.jpg

The Emerald Beaut sort of fell apart during the last few minutes of broiling but still made it on to the plate:  toasted multigrain bread, goat cheese and broiled fruit:

IMG_3620.jpg

• Like 13

image.jpeg

Why not?

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Continuing with the same theme...

28805271723_f0238bac68_z.jpg

Open faced fried egg sandwich (broken yolk, of course) with melted cheese atop toasted organic sourdough peasant bread. Side of heirloom tomatoes.

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I smoked a point end corned beef yesterday to make pastrami.  This morning used the ends and chopped them  up and mixed with a scramble egg for a pastrami and egg sandwich on toasted Cuban bread.  Topped with some baby kale so it sounded  healthy 

• Like 4

Zucchini and carrot muffins with oatmeal bran, a little olive oil (though butter also works) and a touch of cinnamon. With very little added sugar, it's has a nice savory-sweet balance. The grated zucchini gives them a nicely moist texture. The carrot is finely diced to give some texture.

The muffins were served with tahini and ricotta.

I used a double baking method, in which I bake the muffins in their pan until just baked through, then take them out and place on a wire rack. I increase the oven temp a bit and turn on convection baking, the muffins go back in for 15min and turn brown and crisp from all sides, without over baking. I use this method for all muffins, both savoy and sweet.

20160827_205534.jpg20160827_205812.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.