• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, mgaretz said:

Eating light again.  Shrimp with avocado, pickled watermelon rind, cherry tomatoes, celery, carrots, red bell pepper and compressed watermelon.

What is compressed watermelon?  How's it prepared?  What taste/texture/result are you expecting or looking for?

• Like 2

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

What is compressed watermelon?  How's it prepared?  What taste/texture/result are you expecting or looking for?

Watermelon chunks that have been compressed using a chamber vacuum sealer.  They have a denser texture and more flavor.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Beef shins slow-braised (stove-top) w/ bamboo shoots, lily buds, beancurd skin rolls, fresh thick-cap Chinese mushrooms.

Ladled over and onto "mei fun" (thin rice noodles, softened in simmering water/stand in hot water) and red-green lettuce leaves.

DSCN9693a_600.jpg

Whole beef shins, trimmed then cut into thick-ish rounds. Crushed garlic (lots) sautéed in rice bran oil, the shin rounds added & browned, a slurry in water of a generous number of cubes of fermented wet bean curd ("fu yee") [Liu Ma Kee] plus some of the liquid added, sautéeing continued. Sufficent water added, simmered for a bit. Trimmed winter bamboo cut into chunks added, simmered for a while. Cut-up fresh Chinese flower-pattern thick-cap mushrooms [from a CFM vendor, his first time growing it], pre-soaked dried lily buds & oiled dried beancurd skin rolls ("fu chook") added in, simmering continued, seasoning adjusted. 

On the way there.

DSCN9676b-82a_1k_600.jpg

DSCN9679a-90a_1k_600.jpg

• Like 8

A wonderful cool and dry day here.  I thawed out two chicken breasts on the bone.  I'm going to roast them and serve with some zucchini with tomatoes and some noodles(for John).  I am also doing a set of pizza dough for tomorrow...it's Friday so pizza, salad and Scrabble.  I'm also making blueberry muffins that John can snack on or eat for breakfast.

We have almost finished the Bolognese sauce I made with bison and I prefer to eat with either:

A)  bucatini

B)  good bread

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A perfect day for a BBQ. It's my first in weeks due to bad weather all over Europe. Lamb leg steak, with potatoes and asparagus.

xYK1mVQ.jpg

g8lfzNL.jpg

Plus lemon balm and rosemary from my garden to go with the lamb.

jF6U89r.jpg

• Like 18

Dinner was composed of the mid-week's leftovers:

20160609_203610.jpg

Cauliflower in marinara sauce (quite appropriately, cooked al-dente and crisp).
Bell pepper and eggplant stew, with a touch of mint and smoked Tabasco.
Wholemeal ptitim (aka Israeli couscous), with egg noodles, mild chili pepper and grated carrot. Served with extra black pepper.
Some sliced cucumbers, kohlrabi and overripe (yet quite good) cherry tomatoes.

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

Some meals that I keep failing to find time to post:

Corn chowder (the last of the corn I froze last summer), salad and home made bread. I seasoned the chowder as i always do but it tasted sort of flat. Then I remembered seeing a recipe somewhere for bourbon corn chowder so I added a pour - HUGE improvement. I almost forgot to take the picture as you can tell from the slice of bread. 

DSC01154.jpg

Grilled chicken breast with my tomato chutney, black-eyed peas with spices (cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom) tomato, yogurt and cilantro. There was a salad with this, as usual.

DSC01167.jpg

Grilled steelhead trout, roasted broccoli, rice with onions and pine nuts.

DSC01165.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Dinner last night was salmon filets.  My wife likes hers plain, so I made hers sous vide to medium rare.  Mine (pictured) was smoked to medium rare and glazed with honey-mustard-port sauce.  Served with steamed and buttered Brussels Sprouts.

smoked-salmon-2.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Schnitzels with spicy Harissa relish. Served with warm potato salad, broccolini and a few cornichons.

image.jpegSchnitzels with hot and spicy Harissa relish.

Served with warm potato salad, broccolini and a few cornichons.

image.jpeg

• Like 19

On 6/6/2016 at 7:16 PM, sartoric said:

Sorry, I couldn't get rid of this. The dog-eared blank sheet first icon in toolbar disappeared.

Tuesday I made mushroom, zucchini and hickory smoked ham spaghetti with a "creamy" (2% milk) sauce and served it with a salad. The husband was happy to get the leftovers for lunch.

Last night's dinner was inspired by Shelby's fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy with asparagus meal she posted on Tuesday, I think. We had roasted chicken wings with rosemary, basil and oregano, mashed potatoes, gravy from the drippings, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay knock-off biscuits and sliced tomatoes. It was really good, but would have been better with some homegrown asparagus.

Tonight was gringa taco night for me with ground chuck cooked up with white onion, a whole large jalapeno with all seeds and membrane and plenty of mild but flavorful chili powder. I topped it with shredded lettuce, yellow cheddar, chopped tomato and Daisy sour cream. This was stuffed into Old El Paso "Stand 'n Stuff" store bought taco shells crisped in the oven. I had a side of refried La Constena refried pinto beans drowned in Taco Bell hot sauce and topped with more yellow cheddar. I made a couple of burritos for the husband with purchased flour tortillas, a layer of the beans, the seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. I do make my own corn tortillas and fill with more traditional Latin American stuff and enjoy them too, but sometimes I just crave a crunchy American taco, and this dinner really hit the spot.

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

Sartoric,  your dinner looks delicious, all of it, but it is the warm potato salad that I'm drawn to.   Am I seeing bacon?

Last night's dinner.

Chicken%20Piccata%20with%20Pasta%20Aglio

My version of chicken piccata using green peppercorns instead of capers.

Not a fan of capers.  With a side of pasta Aglio E Olio.

• Like 17

Freekeh (lightly smoked green wheat), cooked risotto style. Flavored with bahart, stir-fried onion, garlic, smoked paprika, a little Parmesan cheese, thyme. Added stir fried zucchini, cooked dried peas and fresh (frozen) peas. Runny egg, poached in the stew. Finished with lemon, black pepper, sumac, more paprika and chives.

Salad of raw zucchini, cherry tomatoes, parsley, olive oil, sumac and lemon juice.

20160610_141345.jpg20160610_141330.jpg20160610_140517.jpg

Edited by shain
Removing unrelated photo (log)
  • Like 12

~ Shai N.

Ribeye, cooked SV to 122F then seared with a torch and seasoned with Montreal Rub.  Served with salad and white corn (which wasn't that good).  Sorry I started eating before I remembered to snap a pic.

ribeye.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Ribeye, cooked SV to 122F then seared with a torch and seasoned with Montreal Rub.  Served with salad and white corn (which wasn't that good).  Sorry I started eating before I remembered to snap a pic.

ribeye.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

SV'd steaks (oh man they were huge and GOOD.---perfectly rare for me) salad with lettuce from the garden and a few fries.  Homegrown strawberries from the wonderful girl that cleans my house and keeps me supplied with eggs :) 

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

• Like 10

19 hours ago, sartoric said:

image.jpeg

With scrambled eggs, onions and/or Sauerkraut/leftover veg etc in Germany it could be any of these: Bauernfrühstück/Farmer's breakfastBratkartoffeln/Fried potatoes, Hoppelpoppel/Berlin-style  etc (variantions depending on where in the country).

Austrian Tiroler Gröstl is similar and equally delicious. I like them all!

• Like 5

Faroe Islands salmon (I avoid the ubiquitous farmed salmon from Norway), simply seared. Boiled nice potatoes drizzled with metled butter and sprinkled liberally with chopped parsley.

cQK6tYU.jpg

I love my asparagus, there's no need for (strong) spices to "enhance" it. The samphire and Riesling do all the enhancing here.

Snpw2UK.jpg

• Like 10

On Tuesday, June 07, 2016 at 8:33 AM, rarerollingobject said:

Brisket, slow braised for 6 hours in chu hou sauce (sort of less sweet hoi sin), star anise, cinnamon and dried tangerine peel, with bok choy and egg noodles.

brisket.jpg

That picture made me go out and buy some chu hou paste, something I had never heard of.  So I picked some up today and am sitting here looking up recipes on the Internet that use it.  The Asian store where I bought it also had brisket for sale and I almost bought some but then I decided i'd better find a recipe first.  That plate of food looks sooo good.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That picture made me go out and buy some chu hou paste, something I had never heard of.  So I picked some up today and am sitting here looking up recipes on the Internet that use it.  The Asian store where I bought it also had brisket for sale and I almost bought some but then I decided i'd better find a recipe first.  That plate of food looks sooo good.

Ha! This was broadly the recipe I followed, but it doesn't have to be that complicated..the only secret is cooking it long enough. Report back with how it turns out!

Still on a beef thing here; bo luc lac, or Vietnamese black pepper beef, with snake beans. And a spoonful of this intriguing Korean 'beef leg bone extract', to amp up the beefiness, and beef it up it does. It tastes a bit marrow-y, very umami. Resisting urges to mix it with butter and spread it on toast!

boluclac.jpg

legbone.jpg

• Like 8