• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Ha! This was broadly the recipe I followed, but it doesn't have to be that complicated..the only secret is cooking it long enough. Report back with how it turns out!

Still on a beef thing here; bo luc lac, or Vietnamese black pepper beef, with snake beans. And a spoonful of this intriguing Korean 'beef leg bone extract', to amp up the beefiness, and beef it up it does. It tastes a bit marrow-y, very umami. Resisting urges to mix it with butter and spread it on toast!

boluclac.jpg

legbone.jpg

Thank you so much!  I just read through the recipe and all the comments.   Wouldn't you know it, he said the Lee Kum Kee Chu Hou paste was too salty and that is the one I bought.  It was also the only one there.  Most of the ingredients I have, much to my surprise and a visit to Chinatown should provide me with the rest.  Do you let hours sit for 6 hours?

• Like 1

Last night's version of garlic chicken chez huiray.

Served over white rice.

DSCN9716a_600.jpg

Chicken leg quarters, chopped up, bone-in. Oil, lightly crushed garlic (two heads worth), chicken pieces, salt, water, onions, fresh thyme branches, celery, bit of this-and-that, simmer till satisfactorily done.

Plus a salad.

DSCN9712a_500.jpg

Spinach, parsley, sugar snap peas (they're there), Arbequina EV olive oil, 10-year balsamic, Maldon salt, black pepper.

• Like 8

I am a bit boring. When I have dinner in my local Xi'an restaurant I only ever order the same things. But hey! What kind of idiot goes to a restaurant and doesn't order his favourites?

"I think I'll have that. I don't really like it. That other dish is a hundred times better, but no. I'll have the bad one."

That's not me.

Tonight, for a change, an early dinner. Companion had to catch a bus.

First, 手工凉皮 (shǒu gōng liáng pí) - hand made liangpi.

bingpi.jpg

Second, 老虎菜 (lǎo hǔ cài) - Tiger salad

tiger salad.jpg

And finally, 肉夹馍 (ròu jiá mò), the so-called Xi'an hamburgers

jiaroumo.jpg.  

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

I was given one half of a rib cap (spinalis dorsi) which I trimmed, bagged and put in the Sous Vide for an hour at 56.4C  before searing it.   I was bored and fooling around with recipes from the Food 52 genius collection so my carb was some two-ingredient biscuits.  

I have heard a great deal about this cut of meat  and was delighted to receive some as a gift but to be perfectly honest I foundj it tough and the taste was not to my liking.  Don't know of course if it was this particular piece of meat or something else. Ribeye steak is my favourite cut of meat so am not quite sure what to think. I know it came from a high end butcher.   Lest you jump to the conclusion that the Sous Vide had something to do with it, I felt exactly the same about a piece I had the day before which I had simply grilled. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

...And a spoonful of this intriguing Korean 'beef leg bone extract', to amp up the beefiness, and beef it up it does. It tastes a bit marrow-y, very umami. Resisting urges to mix it with butter and spread it on toast!

legbone.jpg

Fascinating. Korean-style "Schmalz". I'm willing to swim 2 extra kilometres for this on toast.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 3

On 11 June 2016 at 0:12 AM, Ann_T said:

Sartoric,  your dinner looks delicious, all of it, but it is the warm potato salad that I'm drawn to.   Am I seeing bacon?

Last night's dinner.

Chicken%20Piccata%20with%20Pasta%20Aglio

My version of chicken piccata using green peppercorns instead of capers.

Not a fan of capers.  With a side of pasta Aglio E Olio.

Yep, sure was plenty of bacon !

Fried Stonington sea scallops, Shelby Fries and Deb's requested garlic and lemon aioli. I opted for ketchup on the fries and kimchi tartar sauce for the scallops. I have an abundance of garden lettuce, so I think salads will be on the menu tomorrow.

HC

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

• Like 10

I got some pork loin chops yesterday and was looking on line for something to do with them.  Then my son opened my new cookbook KoreaTown, to a Kalbi recipe and offered it as a suggestion. It is for ribs but he said it's meat from the same part of the pig.  He's right so I made them and grilled them today. I also made some quick kimchi with baby bok choy and bean sprouts.  We also had some store bought kimchi and rice.

DSCN3570.jpg

DSCN3572.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

After over 20 attempts, I think I've finally perfected my bo li guo tie (cut glass crispy-bottomed dumplings) recipe. They're dumplings you fry until the bottoms are just golden, and then pour in a slurry and steam them, till the water evaporates off and the slurry fries into a lacy, crispy, shatter-y, buttery 'skirt', and you slide them out of the pan bottoms up, in one connected crunchy disc.

It's all about the right flour (I've finally settled on tapioca, after trying wheat flour, bread flour, cake flour, rice flour, sticky rice flour, corn flour and potato flour) and the right amount of water, oil, heat and time.

The dumplings themselves are kimchi, tofu, cabbage and chopped sweet potato noodles, and the dipping sauce is soy, apple vinegar, sesame oil and dried chilli threads.

dumplings.jpg

dumplings2.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 26

image.jpeg

Encouraged by @zend and a mostly empty jar of funky kimchi I made kimchi jjigae subbing leftover rotisserie chicken for pork. Not your Umma's stew but still very good. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well the chicken breasts didn't get roasted after all but became chicken chasseur and was served with roasted carrots and small red potatoes.  Leftover chicken will go over some egg noodles I plan on making today.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner tonight, I'll concede, was a bit odd. I have a friend arriving tomorrow for a very long overdue reunion. Heading on 20 years. I know we are going to be eating out a lot, so I'm clearing the fridge.

But getting multi-cultural in the process.

An alliterative starter: Salmon Shashimi w Seaweed.

salmon seaweed sashimi1.jpg

Followed very incongruously by what probably looks like a slapdash plate of ordinary Scottish mince and tatties. Nearly so. I plead guilty to the slap dash but not the ordinary.  The mince was seasoned with Chinese flavours. Garlic, Ginger, Chilli, Shaoxing wine, Sichuan Peppercorn,  Shanghai Worcestershire Sauce. Scottish?

IMG_1572.jpg

This was served with some simple stir-fried cabbage which

a) I almost forgot to serve.

b) definitely forgot to photograph.

My stomach and the fridge are happy. My stomach full; the fridge emptier. Mission accomplished.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

rarerollingobject, your dumplings look delicious!

I did not cook any asian dishes recently, this should change. I love the flavours so much.  tonight: asparagus in crispy chicken with a spicy sauce

IMG_1924.JPG

• Like 9

i-xZGVw5n-D.jpg

"Barked" ham from Christmas. A 24 hour pickle on some romaine. Cornbread awaiting butter. Lima, pressure cooked with ham hock. Browned onion and garlic post the cooker. Pickled pepper, salt, and vinegar to garnish the beans

• Like 6

Cream of greens soup. Yes, clean out the fridge time ! 

Sweated onion, potato, celery, fennel, broccoli and beans in a chicken stock.

Finished with cream and spring onions. Toasties with spicy relish, shaved leg ham and sliced tasty cheddar.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 8

We left Friday morning for Northampton, MA to visit our daughter and just got back this afternoon. Lots of great meals posted while I was away!
Thursday dinner had to be easy as we were getting ready to leave (which primarily meant dealing with all the animal family members). So I picked up some vegetables to grill (zucchini, red bell pepper, sweet onion), some potato salad (which was mediocre) and a package of beef spiedies. Spiedies are a central NY specialty that becomes ubiquitous in the summer - beef, pork or chicken cubes marinated in "spiedie sauce" - a vinegary, herby marinade. Legend says they originated in Binghamton, NY - about 45 minutes south of here. For real authenticity the marinade should be made by one of 2 Binghamton companies - Lupo or Salamida. Out of curiosity, I googled recipes for spiedie sauce and found several - Epicurious, Food Network, etc. - all the usual suspects. The funny thing that for each recipe the comments section was dominated by former or current residents of Binghamton insisting that the recipe was NOT right.  I was amazed that so many people from Binghamton read recipe sites. 

DSC01172.jpg

Also - the first salad with greens from my garden!

DSC01170.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

34 minutes ago, Spork said:

i-xZGVw5n-D.jpg

"Barked" ham from Christmas. A 24 hour pickle on some romaine. Cornbread awaiting butter. Lima, pressure cooked with ham hock. Browned onion and garlic post the cooker. Pickled pepper, salt, and vinegar to garnish the beans

How interesting -- never occurred to me to pickle romaine. It looks like cooked greens, with the darker color. How do you do it?

I actually cooked, bum leg and all! I told my daughter I thought I could manage it by rolling around in my desk chair in the kitchen. She got stuff out of upper cabinets so I wouldn't have to, and cleaned up dishes for me. Granted, it was nothing exceptional, just scrambled eggs, an English muffin, and bacon, but I was so pleased to learn I'm not entirely helpless.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it from the kitchen to my little nest in the den, and I think I've got that sorted as well. I have never been so glad to live in a small house!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

...............How do you do it?.................

First, it's only a quick pickle, three to five days keep in the fridge. 

Nanny's insructions:

A couple quarts of water

A couple tablespoons of salt

A few tablespoons of sugar

Garlic to your choosing

Dill iffin ya got it

Pepper of your choosin'

Apple cider vinegar in the fall, white in the spring, a few tablespoons

A tablespoon of bacon grease to coat em' on the way in and out

Bring it to a boil

Tender greens ( leaf lettuce, iceburg, romaine, etc.) , drop them in and set to cool. In the fridge after an hour, then at least an hour after that. 

Tough greens ( kale, collard, spinach, etc. ) wilt em' with onion iffin you have time. Otherwise, boil em' till tender. Cool as you do the tenders. 

• Like 2