• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

IMG_1152.jpg

Pan fried sea bass fillet.

Couscous with capers, mint and gherkins.

Fried yellow bell pepper, garlic, ginger and Chinese chives.

Then I went back to the kitchen and cooked the other fillet.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Leftover steak, fried onions, fried mushrooms on a home-made toasted bun with some sliced Gruyere.   The whole thing was given a brief sojourn under the broiler. 

• Like 21

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Some recent dinners

Beef tenderloin with cauliflower  "cous cous"

024.jpg

BBQ Baby back ribs served with coleslaw and cornbread

197.jpg

Meatloaf with slaw and roasted cheddar cauliflower

184.jpg

BBQ Chicken with cheddar cauliflower and salad

029.jpg

• Like 18

@mm84321, is that Mt. Mansfield in Vt.? I went to Mt. Mansfield Union High for a year when we lived in Jericho.

This would have been in the 70's, and almost impossible to find any kind of mango, much less a good one with notes of coconut.

Absolutely gorgeous photography, as usual!

Yes. Mount Mansfield in Vermont! I passed the high school on my drive home. Such a beautiful state! 

Edited by mm84321 (log)
  • Like 1

re: Meatloaf

@gfweb

my 'likes' does not involve the ML

indeed the ML has given me Deep Concerns

I would have pointed out those concerns Graphically  but my Photoshop Elements has taken the week-end off early.

so I could not crop the Pic of gf to make my point a bit clearer:

a bit North of the center of the Plate, very much to the West  

there are various " Green Items " dans that loaf

I sure do hope that none of them are 

1 ) celery    o.O

nor

2) Green Bell Peppers   O.o

I am a Big Fan of "  To Each Their Own "

but those two Items Ive mention

if plated

require Toot Sweet  Thearapy

just saying.

even MR, many bottles can not make up for that aberration  

Just Saying

Good Weekend to all.

• Like 8

Part of tonight dinner.
Basmati rice pilaf, with toasted coconut, dried cranberries, toasted almonds.

Chopped vegetable salad, dressed in olive oil, lemon, slat and pepper.

20160603_203239.jpg20160603_202516.jpg

Dessert was a flaugnarde (in the desserts thread).

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

Fast dinner. Wanted to use up all the herbs and last of vegs, and with some sliced seared steak it became a meaty salad. Made some simple flat bread quickly with lots of snipped chives in the dough (folded several times and rolled out, and repeated). Turkish chilli oil for the bread, Vietnamese fish sauce for the steak salad.

d84eno0.jpg

• Like 11

Salad and bruschetta last night: Salad is Boston lettuce, chicken, avocado, fennel, tomato, red onion and pea shoots with a version of green goddess dressing (EVO, wine vinegar, yogurt, avocado, chives, parsley and cilantro all run through the food processor).On top is some crumbled, fried chicken skin - a nice crunch. 

DSC01124.jpg

The bruschetta are seasoned ricotta, red onion and oven roasted tomato.

DSC01125.jpg

Maybe someday I'll learn to clean up the edges of the plate before i take a picture - but I doubt it. 

• Like 18

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

re: Meatloaf

@gfweb

my 'likes' does not involve the ML

indeed the ML has given me Deep Concerns

I would have pointed out those concerns Graphically  but my Photoshop Elements has taken the week-end off early.

so I could not crop the Pic of gf to make my point a bit clearer:

a bit North of the center of the Plate, very much to the West  

there are various " Green Items " dans that loaf

I sure do hope that none of them are 

1 ) celery    o.O

nor

2) Green Bell Peppers   O.o

I am a Big Fan of "  To Each Their Own "

but those two Items Ive mention

if plated

require Toot Sweet  Thearapy

just saying.

even MR, many bottles can not make up for that aberration  

Just Saying

Good Weekend to all.

Thanks for your wise comments, Brother Rotuts.

I am in complete agreement re green stuff in a ML esp celery and green pepper. They are an abomination in my sight.

The vegetation in the ML are yellow onions.

Perhaps the color balance is a bit off in your screen?

• Like 9

I put celery (and carrots and onions) in my meatloaf and so far everyone has loved it, including my daughter who loathes celery in general.  I don't use green pepper, but how out of place is it when stuffed green peppers are a common dish?

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

A very satisfying meal from a day or two ago: The rest of the top sirloin cap & wild rice from here (eaten from the "holding plate" and straight from the pot with zero formality :-D but, then, plus a nice salad eaten with great relish.

DSCN9584aC_400.jpgDSCN9586a_400.jpg

DSCN9588b_400.jpgDSCN9592b_400.jpg

ETA: Stuff that went in included: Romaine, red-green, green leaf lettuces; bunching broccoli; baby spinach; fresh tarragon (from my garden); sliced scallions, shallots; Salina salted capers [Mongetto]; sliced hard-boiled local eggs; AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense, Arbequina EV olive oil, ground black pepper, Maldon salt

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11

35 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I put celery (and carrots and onions) in my meatloaf and so far everyone has loved it, including my daughter who loathes celery in general.  I don't use green pepper, but how out of place is it when stuffed green peppers are a common dish?

I do too...not always, but sometimes.  

I always tell Rotuts to avert his eyes when I've included anything like that :PxD

• Like 6

On May 29, 2016 at 5:18 AM, rarerollingobject said:

To book-end my day of obsessive noodle eating nicely (after Cantonese wonton mee for breakfast), dao xiao mian, or Sichuanese fresh knife-cut noodles. 

With chicken crackling and crispy fried shallots (which I made myself, so used the oil rendered from the chicken skin to fry the shallots), doubanjian Sichuanese chilli broad bean paste, ground Sichuan and white peppers, Chinkiang black vinegar, minced green onions and dark soy sauce that I simmered down with star anise, cinnamon, black pepper, tangerine peel and brown sugar.

You then slick it with a tablespoonful of chicken oil, mix up with the chewy cooked noodles, douse it with chicken crackling, and slurrrrrrrp.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The only time I would stop eating this is if my bowl was empty.

• Like 8

My husband had been wanting to go out for Indian food, but with his busy work schedule, we just hadn't found the opportunity, so I did a search and found a recipe for Indian-Spiced Chicken on bonappetit.com. The recipe made a large amount of sauce, so I added some carrots along with the potatoes. I served it with store bought garlic naan. Happy husband!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15

image.jpeg

Not sure if this was a late lunch or an early dinner. A baked potato with a (disappointing) mushroom ragu.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Thanks for your wise comments, Brother Rotuts.

I am in complete agreement re green stuff in a ML esp celery and green pepper. They are an abomination in my sight.

The vegetation in the ML are yellow onions.

Perhaps the color balance is a bit off in your screen?

Chefs after my own heart. You never have to worry about green bell pepper in anything I cook. And celery only extremely rarely.

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Stuffed green peppers are an abomination, too. Right, Rotuts?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Only worse thing to find in a meatloaf (or meatball) are raisins.

That's an absolutely horrible thought.

"This wasn't just plain terrible. This was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins on it."

-- Dorothy Parker

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com