• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 5)

liuzhou

31 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Chicken, stuffed swiss chard, albufera sauce

Screen_shot_2016_06_03_at_11_14_09_PM.pn

I wanted to like this immediately and I had no idea what was albufera sauce.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I am in complete agreement re green stuff in a ML esp celery and green pepper. They are an abomination in my sight.

Um...parsley? 

I put parsley. 

• Like 5

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Night before last I made a crustless quiche with some of the leftover ham I baked. This ham was so good. I bought it on Easter loss leader sale, and was in a hurry to get it in the oven, so just washed the packing and balled it up and tied it up in a plastic grocery bag. After tasting the ham, I had to dig through the trash, and untie the bag to discover the brand. It was just Food Lion, which is one of our lower end groceries. The ham was not full of a bunch of extra "solution", it was deeply hickory smoked, and just excellent! It cooked up moist and very delicious, and much better than the ubiquitous Smithfield brand. If you are in reach of a Food Lion, do yourself a favor and do not pass up their fully cooked hickory smoked half hams. Bake it until the deep center register 135 F and you are set! It will rise to 140 F during a rest. It makes heavenly sandwiches and I picked up some dried baby limas today to cook with the ham bone. I'm looking forward to that with some cornbread, which I can now cook in an oven with an actual functioning thermostat!

I also put cheddar cheese into the quiche along with some sauteed yellow onion and mushrooms. I added a couple pinches of ground cloves to the custard batter, and it was most enjoyable. This was served with the holiday green bean casserole with canned cream of mushroom soup, french cut green beans and TJ's fried onions from a can. I have tried making a more homemade version of this and no one likes it as well, including me. :$ We also had some nice ripe sliced tomatoes with this dinner and slices of Kim Shooks' coconut cake.

Tonight we went to Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken. You can smell the chickens cooking as soon as you drive into the parking lot if the windows are down. Here's a picture from the Yelp link of the delicious chickens cooking in their imported oven. We had green beans, and they were fresh and well-seasoned. The yucca fries are delicious, and inspired me to pick up a yucca root to cook at home next time I run across one. I also got maduros, fried ripe and sweet plantains. These were the sides most lauded in the reviews, and none of them disappointed. I also loved their spicy green sauce, but did not want to put it on the chicken because it was perfect on its own. I wound up drinking it and dipping yucca fries in it. Hot, but with a complex flavor that I could not dissect. Lovely. It was far too spicy for my husband, but he like the yellow mustard mild sauce, although I didn't notice him putting any on the stellar chicken either.

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

Octopus.

octo1.jpg

Octopus, vacuum packed and then sous vided for 7 hours.

octo3.jpg

Octopus, chopped and braised in Korean gochujang chilli paste with green onions, carrots, honey, sour plum syrup and sesame oil.

octo4.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Its impossible for me to discuss SGP's

some people will eat anything it seems.

to each their own, though.

rotuts, How did you come by these aversions? Celery, green peppers.....what else is on your taboo list from the vegetable kingdom?

HC

• Like 2

celery is its slimy stringy consistency when cooked

green bells simply because they are awful.  the only reason they exist is greedy ConAgra picks them early when green.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

Its impossible for me to discuss SGP's

some people will eat anything it seems.

to each their own, though.

What are SGP's?

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Quasi cassoulet. Served with crusty sourdough and a green salad.

I used chicken drumsticks, slices of speck, pork and garlic sausages, and pork belly slices. Three hours in the oven, chunky breadcrumb crust, and a rich tomato sauce. This was good.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 14

image.jpeg

Matar paneer (familiarly known as Peas and Cheese).  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lobster bisque (which is a PITA to make, but worth the effort when it turns out good, which this batch did), reheated smoked baby backs and marinated artichoke hearts. I like to serve my take on a Peidmont BBQ sauce on the side, with the ribs.

HC

IMG_0987.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

Hi Guys. Unsure if I'll even get formatting right. However I decided to take the plunge and post after excessive lurking and attempting dinner following advice on a separate thread. 

Simple roast chicken and trimmings. And Whiskey.

20160605_183146.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry
Err.. Formatting - Swear it looked fine on my phone! (log)
  • Like 19

20 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Hi Guys. Unsure if I'll even get formatting right. However I decided to take the plunge and post after excessive lurking and attempting dinner following advice on a separate thread. 

Simple roast chicken and trimmings. And Whiskey.

Welcome. I'd eat that!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Kangkong belacan.

DSCN9615a_400.jpgDSCN9619b_400.jpg

Hot pan hot oil, garlic, har mai (dried shrimp) pre-softened in water, a chunk of toasted belacan semi-crumbled in, sliced hot long finger chillies, trimmed washed kangkong, bit of this-and-that sauces/seasonings.

Shrimp wonton noodle soup bowl.

DSCN9624a_600.jpg

Small brown shrimp (from Florida) (bought live) [Viet Hua Supermarket]. Killed, deheaded & peeled, marinated w/ scallions & garlic & stuff. Wontons made using Hong Kong style square wrappers. Shrimp stock made w/ the shells + heads + ginger + stuff + some chicken stock. Skinny wonton noodles [Twin Marquis] cooked as usual, "King vegetable" (a form of pak choy wong nga pak) blanched in the noodle-cooking water (slightly alkaline). Wontons cooked in the pot of water after the veggies. All bowled w/ some of the shrimp stock/soup. Some scallions & coriander leaves.

Marinating shrimp.  

Munchies – deep-fried wonton wrappers cut into strips.

DSCN9609a_400.jpgDSCN9611a_400.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11

Wonton wrappers fried into strips here, too, @huiray. Vietnamese bun nem nuong; grilled pork meatballs on vermicelli, with spring onion oil, crispy deep fried wonton skins, crispy, pickled shredded carrot, and chilli/garlic/fish sauce dressing.

image.jpeg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 16

Tonight features my new addiction. Spicy mango relish.

duck1.jpg

Pan fried duck breast with mango relish, rice and asparagus (fried in the duck fat).

The relish is slightly adapted from part of the first recipe here. I extracted the relish part and used it in a different dish. It goes great with cheese, too. In fact, I'm struggling to think what it doesn't go with. Muesli, perhaps?

duck2.jpg

• Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Hi Guys. Unsure if I'll even get formatting right. However I decided to take the plunge and post after excessive lurking and attempting dinner following advice on a separate thread. Simple roast chicken and trimmings. And Whiskey.

Well, the dinner looks pretty well formatted and that's why we're here.

HC

• Like 1

Light dinner:

Tamagoyaki with wakame.
Defrosted semi whole meal bread with sesame, aniseed, flax and orange peel. Lightly buttred with browned butter and lightly toasted  (picture taken before. Don't want the bread to chill while taking pictures (: ).

20160604_201156.jpg20160604_201755.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

Cemitas for sandwiches tonight. 

As per James Kenji Lopez-Alt's recommendation, I used cream in the dough instead of milk and butter (he said heavy cream i.e. 38%, I only had light whipping cream i.e. 30%). 

I am extremely happy with the result.

DSC06316.JPG

Edited by zend
weird artefact at the beginning of post, removed it (log)
  • Like 11

Stewed pork and crabmeat balls, aka Lions Head meatball soup.

Minced pork and canned crab get blended with ginger, spring onions and cornflour, shallow fried then stewed in homemade stock with wombok. I add bean sprouts for crunch.

image.jpeg

• Like 7