• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

What'd you think of the fish? been wanting to try this. 

The fries were some of the best I've had (as usual) but my wife described the fish as the showstopper. It was really good. I used AP flour instead of lower-gluten cake flour because I already have 4 kinds of flour on hand and didn't want to buy another bag for a single recipe. I suspect that the crust would be lighter and lacier if I used cake flour instead. I also want to try Heston's method of aerating the batter in a whipping siphon.

But the core of the ChefStep's technique -- a quick brine and a dip in Methocel F50 before breading -- works really well and kept the fish crispy for quite a while.

• Like 1

Followed by Malaysian fish curry with roti bread.

Looks interesting. Does not look "familiar", though. Is the one you made of Malay, Nyonya, Chinese-Malaysian, Mamak, or something else derivation? What was in it?

Snow peas???!

Edited by huiray (log)

Looks interesting. Does not look "familiar", though. Is the one you made of Malay, Nyonya, Chinese-Malaysian, Mamak, or something else derivation? What was in it?

Snow peas???!

Yes, snow peas Huiray. I don't follow tradition too much, more what I like, and what we're growing. It also had potatoes, broccoli and tomatoes.

And, here's the paste ingredients.image.jpeg

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 4

Tonight was poached cod fillet sous vide, steamed tiny Yukon gold potatoes, thirty second haricots verts.  Accompanied by Chateau Montaud Cotes de Provence.  All I can say is it was one on the finest meals I have had in some while.  (The recent Lopez-Alt chicken marsala has been quite exceptional but after three dinners in a week it is getting a little old.)

I can add that the Chateau Montaud people are going to be getting a lot more of my discretionary income.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I can't see that I've posted this previously (apologies if I have!), but here is a dinner before I went out of town:

gumbo.JPG

Shrimp and andouille sausage gumbo. The shrimp were left over from a shrimp boil and frozen, in the shell; thawed and peeled, then tossed in the gumbo at the last minute, just long enough to heat through.

I must be slipping. Time was, there would NEVER have been shrimp left over from a shrimp boil.

carbonnades.JPG

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yes, snow peas Huiray. I don't follow tradition too much, more what I like, and what we're growing. It also had potatoes, broccoli and tomatoes.

And, here's the paste ingredients.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ah, OK, great. Thanks for showing the ingredients. Oh, of course one cooks what one likes and tradition be danged. I was puzzled by what it was, though, simply because "Malaysian curry" is a very vague term and could refer to all sorts of styles/cuisines within Malaysia and doesn't tell me what's in it.

Edited by huiray (log)

Sort-of Cantonese-style steamed bass.

DSCN7094b_800.jpg

The fish was swimming around a few hours before. (From the tanks at a local Vietnamese grocery)

Cleaned & gutted fish was marinated w/ scallions, ginger, oil, white pepper, Shaohsing wine; then steamed. The fish only was recovered from the steaming dish, discarding all liquids and other stuff (the scallions, ginger etc) and plated, garnished w/ fresh scallions, coriander leaves & ginger, then dressed w/ a sauce of {hot oil quenched w/ a mixture of good light soy sauce and hon-mirin [Takara] diluted w/ some water & with a good grind of white pepper}

I used Wei Chuan "Naturally brewed soy sauce with Hokkaido kelp flavor" just for the hell of it.

Taiwan bok choy with mushrooms.

DSCN7098b_600.jpg

Peanut oil, chopped smashed garlic, cubes of "Wet Bean Curd" (白腐乳) [Liu Ma Kee] (this one), chicken stock, water, sliced fresh Chinese mushrooms ("heong koo" (香菇) variety), Taiwan bok choy (the store calls this "King vegetable"); simmered till done, seasoning adjusted.

Several bowls of white rice.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

Ah, OK, great. Thanks for showing the ingredients. Oh, of course one cooks what one likes and tradition be danged. I was puzzled by what it was, though, simply because "Malaysian curry" is a very vague term and could refer to all sorts of styles/cuisines within Malaysia and doesn't tell me what's in it.

I do write a fairly detailed method and ingredients list for my daily FB page "What's for dinner ?", but thought that this forum, or in particular this thread was more about just a photo and brief description.

What's the consensus ?

I'm happy to post the details, seeing I've already written them....

Khao Soi with chicken. Garnished with basil, green onion, lime and chili oil. The suggested cilantro would have been nice but the cilantro at the local grocery store was not looking too fresh so I skipped it.

khaosoi1_zpslb8jigs9.jpg

• Like 9

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The breakfast sandwiches posted in various topics have been calling out to me! This is an English muffin on which I melted some Gruyere and then topped with a fried egg. A bit messy to look at and eat but very satisfying.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I do write a fairly detailed method and ingredients list for my daily FB page "What's for dinner ?", but thought that this forum, or in particular this thread was more about just a photo and brief description.

What's the consensus ?

I'm happy to post the details, seeing I've already written them....

I'd say light details here, unless requested.  Or perhaps a link to the FB page where the details reside

Fair enough, will do, thanks.

I'd say "light details" includes a rubric of what one did, without the details typical of a full-fledged recipe with quantities and timings. I've often included such things as you might notice. I dislike a bare statement of, for example, "Lamb Curry"; or "Fried Chicken" and any other similar abrupt descriptors.

• Like 1

Tonight's dinner was really just a variation on last night's

We have had torrential rain non-stop for the last 18 hours. I did have a different dinner plan, but wasn't going out to the market in that. Fortunately, I had another duck breast in the freezer and some leftover cooked chickpeas in the fridge. So plan B.

So, pan-fried duck breast (again)  with a spicy chickpea and mushroom puree. There were some (duck fat fried) fries on the side which forgot to have their picture taken.

dcp.jpg

The forecast for tomorrow is better, so I may revert to plan A.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Braised octopus, chorizo and potatoes. There's also blood sausage but it's kind of hard to see. I ran out of parsley so just used fresh bay leaves for greenery and something for the camera to focus on. The focus seemed to struggle to find some texture in this red-brown mess.

0dRycp2.jpg

• Like 6

A riff on pad woon sen (ผัดวุ้นเส้น).  Eaten with pickled Persian cucumbers w/ scallions & sesame seed.

DSCN7104a_800.jpg

DSCN7107b_800.jpg

Fresh shrimp shells & heads (the shrimp were swimming around a couple hours before) sautéed w/ a little chopped garlic & sea salt, water added, simmered for a while to make shrimp stock. The stock was sieved off, reserved. Hot pan, hot oil, a wee bit of chopped garlic, peeled & de-headed fresh shrimp, toss for 30-40 secs, remove shrimp & reserve. Peanut oil added to the same pan, then chopped garlic, sliced yellow onions, chopped de-seeded hot long chillies, quartered Thai eggplants (good fresh stuff), glass noodles (pre-softened, cut across the bundles), a well created & a couple eggs scrambled there in situ & folded in, a mixture of good soy sauce, oyster sauce & fish sauce, the reserved shrimp stock, trimmed scallions & coriander leaves, washed & trimmed mung bean sprouts, the reserved shrimp, toss/stir everything around. Plate, garnish w/ fresh trimmed coriander leaves.

The shrimp shells and heads (chopped somewhat w/ the spatula and w/ a kitchen shears) being sautéed before water going in...

DSCN7102a_600.jpg

• Like 7

We watch a lot of PBS Create TV and earlier in the week Vic Rallo's program featured a spinach crespelle from Chef Lia Schiera.  It looked so good that I I made a pretty close facsimile for dinner tonight.  The crepe recipe was from Jacques Pepin and the spinach/ricotta mixture was a pretty standard blend including a small egg and Parmesan Reggiano.  I used a commercial sauce (please God forgive me ) that did not have sugar and was pretty tasty.  I probably ate ten crepes as a quality control measure by the time that I assembled dinner.

crepeP1040444.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 13