• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

For the salad, I grate a carrot, add fresh orange juice, ground cumin, olive oil, season well, cover and put in the fridge. To serve add finely shredded mint leaves.

Sartoric, love the idea of this salad. So simple. Can't wait to try.

Sure. There are many versions (variations) , depending on the food. 

The basic sauce is just black garlic and EVOO blended with a stick blender to creamy consistency. Salt to taste.

For salads, I add balsamic.

For meats, I add soy sauce.

For fish, I add lemon juice, ginger and lemon peel. 

dcarch

dcarch...is the black garlic roasted prior to pureeing?

Baby Back Rib Bites

So these are the result of BB ribs cut into 2" horizontally strips, shorted , rubbed ( over night  ) smoked in cherry wood..

Then basted and finished on the grill

attachicon.gif22463651702_f969e07f82_k.jpg

Lovely things. Should take the sting out of a losing football team.

After a trying afternoon that involved leaving my car at the shop after the alternator gave out on, of course, a rainy afternoon and getting rescued, an hour away from home, we ordered out Asian. I had sushi, edamame and yakitori.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

DSC00369.jpg

Tonight - Oven roasted mahi-mahi with a citrus zest rub (lemon and lime) and a citrus vinaigrette with a salad of roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and spiced chick peas over spinach with a yogurt dressing. 

• Like 5

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Lovely things. Should take the sting out of a losing football team.

Yeah, they do sound tasty. I've been choosing my Saturday dinners to help soothe the nerves too. My team isn't losing but they did lose one game and now, even if they win out, their fate depends on the team that beat them losing to a division opponent. The problem is, I haven't really found any dishes that help a whole lot... maybe I need to start looking through cocktail recipes instead. :biggrin: 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

dcarch...is the black garlic roasted prior to pureeing?

No. Not roasted. The making of black garlic subjects garlic to a high heat process for up to 40 days. At the end, garlic is transformed into something that does not look anything like garlic or taste like garlic.

dcarch

Steamed pork spare ribs.

DSCN6986b_800.jpg

Short-cut pork spare ribs cut into single riblets, sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced deseeded mildly hot red chillies, preserved black beans, julienned fresh scraped ginger, minced smashed garlic, peanut oil, sea salt, good Shaohsing wine, trimmed scallions, ground black pepper; mix everything together by hand, let sit for a bit; then steam till done, dress w/ fresh chopped scallions & coriander leaves.

Braised bamboo shoots & stuff.

DSCN6981b_800.jpg

Pot on medium heat, peanut oil, crushed garlic, white fermented wet bean curd (白腐乳) [Liu Ma Kee] plus some of the steeping liquid (salty! but also containing rice wine), slender bamboo shoots (小竹筍) [Evergreen], chicken stock, pre-soaked dried lily buds (金針), pre-soaked & trimmed dried black wood-ear fungus (黑木耳), a dash of ajinomoto, water, simmer for a fair while. Trimmed wong nga pak (黃芽白) (Napa cabbage) leaves added, simmered for a short while more. 

Eaten w/ white rice.

DSCN6991b_800.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN6974a_600.jpg

DSCN6975a_600.jpg

• Like 6

Well, I think we finally had a tiny freeze last night, so this is the last of the okra.  And, the last of the fish that was caught this summer.

PA260881.JPG

PA260882.JPG

A lot going on right now.  Sigh.  I'm ready for a quiet weekend full of horse racing and good food.

Anyway, I bought a rotiss. chicken from the store.  I hardly ever do that, but it made for a fast , good meal and I didn't have to clean the rotisserie when it was done.

PA270883.JPG

• Like 10

Anyway, I bought a rotiss. chicken from the store.  I hardly ever do that, but it made for a fast , good meal and I didn't have to clean the rotisserie when it was done.

And there's many different dishes you can make the from rotiss, chicken leftovers. The trick is to pull off all of the meat while the chicken is still warm.

My Costco uses leftover rotiss. chicken to make up their ready-to-go meals (chicken fettuccine, etc) and the last time I was there, they were selling vacuum-packed packages of rotiss. chicken meat...no bones. 

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I thought it would be a good time to wake up the sour dough starter that had been sleeping in the refrigerator since May. I made some sourdough French bread today after feeding it for several days.  We had store bought deli fried chicken and baked beans to go with it. 

DSCN3091_zpsof1qtdo6.jpg

DSCN3094_zpskfy2dcnd.jpg

• Like 12

Chicken, bacon and veggie pie topped with avocado and cheese.

#Leftover roast chicken idea number 101.

Served with "not just potato" mash, fresh tomato relish and rocket leaves.

I make a pie filling using tiny diced onion, celery and carrot, all sautéed slowly in butter until soft. Season with pepper, turn up the heat and add a diced rasher of bacon. When it's browned add flour and stir for a few minutes until the flour coats everything and starts to brown. Add chicken stock, the shredded roast chicken, some diced broccoli and chopped thyme, stir until thickened and tasty ! Cool.

I spray a 21 cm pie tin with oil spray and line with shortcrust pastry, prick with a fork then blind bake (using dried beans) in a hot oven about 10 minutes. I use the same soy beans over and over for blind baking, they're labeled clearly so I don't try to add them to soup, lol.

I seed, peel and slice an avocado and grate some cheddar cheese.

Remove the baking beans, cool pastry slightly then add the chicken filling to come part way up the side, smooth the filling, then on top lay the sliced avocado and a sprinkle of grated cheddar. Grind on fresh pepper and pop it back into the oven until cheese is melted and browned.

Meanwhile, I boil potatoes adding chopped shredded cabbage in the last five minutes, then mash it all with butter, milk and horseradish cream.

For the tomato relish, I fry finely chopped onion plus grated ginger in olive oil, when soft, I add canned chopped tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar and simmer until thick.

Rocket leaves are sprinkled with a little salt, pepper, garlic oil and balsamic vinegar.

I serve in shallow bowls with the mash, relish and leaves alongside.

Eat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 12

DSC00372.jpg

Well, for tonight I planned on making a beef stew. Obviously that didn't happen. I became aware that things were not going very well at work for my husband and I know that for him (2nd generation Italian) the thing that always makes him feel better is pasta. So I threw the beef intended for the stew into the food processor and made Bolognese sauce. Luckily i had gotten home early enough to give it the full 3 hours of simmering. The time is worth it. 

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

attachicon.gifDSC00372.jpg

Well, for tonight I planned on making a beef stew. Obviously that didn't happen. I became aware that things were not going very well at work for my husband and I know that for him (2nd generation Italian) the thing that always makes him feel better is pasta. So I threw the beef intended for the stew into the food processor and made Bolognese sauce. Luckily i had gotten home early enough to give it the full 3 hours of simmering. The time is worth it.

Ha ha, that's so funny, I do the same. Mine is also second generation Italian, and bolognaise is the cure all remedy.

• Like 1

A simple night of grazing.

Earlier: "Singapore Laksa La Mian" [Prima Taste] (this one) with sliced aburaage, a hard-boiled egg and some chopped scallions.

DSCN6996a_800.jpg

I've posted more elaborate gussied-up preps on earlier threads here on eG.

Later: a plate of Prosciutto Rossa [La Quercia], Everton cheese [Jacobs & Britchford], Raclette cheese [Emmi Roth], semolina bread [Amelia's Bakery]. Plus a cup of hot Ti Kuan Yin tea [Yun Ding].

DSCN7002a_800.jpg

• Like 11

Pre-salted a chuck for 2 days. Pan seared. 48-50 hour @ 135 F.  Mashed potatoes. Sauce made from beef stock, roux, sous vide bag drippings. Added sauted onions, carrots, and mushrooms. Photography skills need work.

20151029_173526.jpg

Edited by mmille24 (log)
  • Like 7

Thai Massaman curry with beef.

Served with jasmine rice, cucumber sambal and roti bread for dunking.

I use skirt steak for this, partially frozen, then cut on a 45 degree angle into thin slices. Once they're completely defrosted, I toss the slices into a plastic bag with a little ground cinnamon and Garam masala, then flash fry in batches and remove to a plate.

I stir fry slivered onion and crushed garlic until soft, add massaman curry paste and fry until fragrant, add tamarind paste, coconut milk, beef stock and chunks of potato. For something different, I use a mix of regular and sweet potatoes.

Season with a little fish sauce and brown sugar, then simmer until potatoes are tender. Add the beef to heat through for two minutes only, scatter in torn basil leaves and sprinkle on chopped peanuts. I serve coriander on the side.

Meanwhile I've steamed jasmine rice, and made a dish of diced cucumber with red chilli in a rice wine vinegar & sugar mix.

Fry rotis with a smear of ghee.

Eat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Starving. Smelling the carbonnades a la flamande braising away in the oven. About to make cream cheese grits for the beef to go over. Possibly favorite fall dish ever.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I tried something new. I steamed a whole fish, head and all. I did not add anything to it :shock:  because I wanted to concentrate on getting the steaming right . the fish tasted great, very light :huh: For dessert, I celebrated with a glass of sweet vermouth (the other red wine).

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Starving. Smelling the carbonnades a la flamande braising away in the oven. About to make cream cheese grits for the beef to go over. Possibly favorite fall dish ever.

Updated with pic:

carbonnades.JPG

Yep. Still one of my favorite fall dishes.

The leading characters:

beef.JPG

Beef. (A chunked-up chuck roast.)

onions.JPG

Onions. Sliced thin, caramelized.

Green flash.JPG

Green Flash Double Stout. I've tried many and many other beers, but this is the best.

With supporting appearances by Dijon mustard, beef broth, brown sugar, and rosemary.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

I haven't. Never thought the fruit would go well. It does?

Very much so. Normally you would stir in some sort of red currant jam to accentuate the sweet/fruity notes, so putting Kriek in it serves as well the sweet flavor so as it does add a really nice acidity.