• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

I ran into a tamale vendor at the start of his day n a parking lot around 9am. I'd had tamale cravings and figured it was meant to be. I got a pork with green chile and a jalapeno cheese. Of course I had to sample them as soon as I arrived home with some ripe tomato from the Farmers Market. The pork was interesting in that the chile sauce was on the outside as well as inside. Good flavor. The other one is ok - mainly I like the lightness and flavor of the masa. Will kick them up a bit with salsa and guacamole later after re-steaming. A tasty start on  a blessedly somewhat cooler day...

(they were 2 for $5)

photo 1 (40).JPG

• Like 4

If this information is ever leaked, I'll probably be deported from China, but an occasional breakfast I consume is this;

woo.jpg

Store bought frozen wontons (pork and shiitake stuffing) cooked as instructed, but instead of serving in soup, I have them dry, dressed with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

A strange breakfast even for me but another member, knowing how much I liked carrots, suggested I try it.

It is from Serious Eats . I added just a smidge (scientifically precise measurement) of maple syrup to the dressing and swapped out the cilantro for parsley.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, that looks really tasty. Although we eat a more traditional group of breakfast foods, I can eat a lot of non traditional things for breakfast and those carrots looks sweet and delicious and for me would trump pancakes or the like

no picture  but so good I had to share anyway

Charentais melon  wrapped in prosciutto, and homemade peach biscuits with honey butter with a large mug of coffee  with a splash of brandy.   

• Like 5

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

image.jpg

Toasred, home-made multigrain bread with a schmear of Boursin and some oven-dried tomato slices.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

BLY.jpg

BLT  1/2.

tasty.  there is plenty of hand-cut bacon in there, which is a bit of a problem.

:huh:

how can this be, you say ?

the hand-cut was a bit too thick.  more Porky than Bacon-ey.  If you know what I mean.

still, tasty.  just no stars this time.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

Me three... I actually like Oscar Mayer precooked (the husband doesn't like the aeserolized  stuff that might get on his clothes and attract bears in the woods) and now, with the tomatoes coming in it is heaven around here.......

Johnnybird is currently on a food kick: 

breakfast is French toast or pancakes - with blueberries if he isn't going out anywhere.

I want some fruit and either yoghurt or cottage cheese.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sausage, egg and cheese with peppery ketchup (a critical condiment here).

Completely understand the peppered ketchup. I very rarely use ketchup EXCEPT for ketchup on toast, a habit picked up in the RCAF, and which requires copious amounts of pepper.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

"""   I prefer thin, crispy (cheap) bacon. ""

ordinarily, in the past esp. Id agree.

however, my sister has sent me " mail-order " bacon for Christmas in the past.

usually slab  :  Edwards, and long ago Smithfield before it went 'national'

now she has sent this stuff :

http://shop.bentonscountryham.com/

bacon on the bottom.  pre-cut.

this is the best stuff ive ever had.  well worth the $

Id even re-order this myself, which is saying something Right There.

FD :  Im using up some slab bacon I cut up into manageable pieces , vac'd, and froze.

• Like 4

Second course:  refreshing melon drink with newspaper on the patio:

melondrink.jpg

I made lime-melon popsicles (4 cups Saticoy melon, ~1/3 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup homemade lime cordial and 1/4 cup homemade melon liqueur)

After filling the molds, I had some left over so I added some ice cubes and gave it another wiz in the blender.

Very nice!

• Like 6

"""   I prefer thin, crispy (cheap) bacon. ""

ordinarily, in the past esp. Id agree.

however, my sister has sent me " mail-order " bacon for Christmas in the past.

usually slab  :  Edwards, and long ago Smithfield before it went 'national'

now she has sent this stuff :

http://shop.bentonscountryham.com/

bacon on the bottom.  pre-cut.

this is the best stuff ive ever had.  well worth the $

Id even re-order this myself, which is saying something Right There.

FD :  Im using up some slab bacon I cut up into manageable pieces , vac'd, and froze.

If you're fond of Benton's, which I agree is pretty doggoned excellent, try some Petit Jean. Thick or thin cut, and also peppered. Their ham and pastrami also rock.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

nice tip

very nice

since my sister is not so Comp.savy

I have 10  1 lbs pack vac and frozen bentons

I used two for TML's   that's what i reserve this for.

but a very good tip

Ill just check my 'statin supply

:biggrin:

I made grits for Sunday breakfast and sometimes make a lot more than we need. Nothing new there.

Fried grits like fried polenta are so good. Usually a fried egg on top is heaven but have had decent tomatoes and randomly bought a Florida avocado the other day. Unlike the Hass they are big but more watery in texture and flavor. This is the avocado I grew up eating. It's been a long time and they looked good and were on sale so decided to give it a try

d3584d6db1670ba6cb6cd31c169711c3.jpg

• Like 8

I made a batch of homemade breakfast sausage on Saturday, got up Sunday morning and made sausage patties and biscuit dough, tossed the biscuits in the oven and sausages in a pan on the stove and ~15 minutes later realized, when things weren't going as they should, that I'd left the baking powder out of the biscuits. I've never done that sort of thing before... it stung a bit. I made cream biscuits and used all of the cream I had in the failed batch so it was sausage and toast instead.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sort of made this accidentally.  People arriving for the morning shift of baby holding.. 

7 eggs, some dijon, some milk, salt and pepper thrown in with spinach cooking with garlic.  

15789335534_1156ff57f8_c.jpg

A frittata flower... 

16225895137_9087c2cef2_c.jpg

16224400580_e14675a8cf_c.jpg

Homefries

16225891427_1189123746_c.jpg

like this one ....

• Like 2