Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)


Darienne
 Share

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

None of that can ever compare to a blown up pressure cooker. My kitchen is 15 x 25 and it managed to Splash every wall and everything in between.

 

No, but close to that I had an exploded can of coconut cream.  Blew the cabinet open, got the ceiling, didn't quite make it to the opposite wall.

 

  • Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

No, but close to that I had an exploded can of coconut cream.  Blew the cabinet open, got the ceiling, didn't quite make it to the opposite wall.

 

Eew cuz that has got fat in it - more of a pain to clean up. At least when the ex put his can of Pepsi in the freezer and forgot about it there was a mess but it was diet so not sticky sugar to clean. He did it more than once. The exploding beer bottle (well n/a Sharps) in the camper shell was not amusing either. Dog tried to come through the window into the cab in a panic. Jostling from a rough road made the cap just loosen enough to make a loud squealing noise and spray everywhere.

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Eew cuz that has got fat in it - more of a pain to clean up. At least when the ex put his can of Pepsi in the freezer and forgot about it there was a mess but it was diet so not sticky sugar to clean. He did it more than once.

My late wife liked her Diet Pepsi just at the very cusp of freezing, so that happened pretty predictably a couple of times/month. I got mightily tired of cleaning those...

  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we got a new solid surface countertop and a tile backsplash.  DW oohhed and aaawed for days insisting we had to keep the counter cleared off and neat.  lasted a week or so....

DSCF2083.thumb.JPG.93b1be6ce5b86b0f96bd8d42a77d1f06.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ate too much pineapple while cutting it up, seemed to be pretty high in acid because I burned my tongue. Should've stopped after the first piece when I sensed it could be an issue...

  • Sad 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Ate too much pineapple while cutting it up, seemed to be pretty high in acid because I burned my tongue. Should've stopped after the first piece when I sensed it could be an issue...

My husband had great difficulty with raw pineapple resulting in an extremely sore mouth. Grilling the pineapple seemed to make it much less of an issue. I suspect,without any evidence, that it has something to do with deactivating the “tenderizing” enzyme. 

  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Ate too much pineapple while cutting it up, seemed to be pretty high in acid because I burned my tongue. Should've stopped after the first piece when I sensed it could be an issue...

 

That happens to me too.  I now stopping eating it at the first "tingle"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It's the enzymes.  Pineapple has the same effect on me.  Think of it as being eaten by your food.

 

Oh you have not lived until it is pre AIDS facts and you look at your hands that look like a related skin lesion - later

 to realize you are suffering from sun + lime - juiced bunch of limes off my tree for a salsa...  quite scary  https://www.verywellfamily.com/sun-and-citrus-fruits-arent-a-good-match-616635#:~:text=Citrus fruits and celery can,into contact with the skin.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, lindag said:

Oh, yes.  I did that with a  big (think Costco size) bottle of Worcestershire sauce in the corner carousel of my kitchen cabinet, dropped it and it broke and splashed everywhere!  Stink and mess.  

 

Remind me to store my excess wooster sauce in zipped baggies with bubble wrap surround.   🤔 😀

 

Edited to add:  Maybe my hot sauces also.  😄

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will never again decide I want more coffee to warm up the half (+/-) of the 20-oz. Yeti cup I’d let get too cool, and mindlessly make my usual 16 oz. cup.

  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shall never again decide to pull out a pork tenderloin from middle of the stack in the upright freezer while in bare feet. Yup - major bruise and a mightily complaining little toe.

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I shall never again decide to pull out a pork tenderloin from middle of the stack in the upright freezer while in bare feet. Yup - major bruise and a mightily complaining little toe.

 

If you had done that a couple of weeks ago we could have compared little toes.  Mine was of the right foot.  Yours?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

If you had done that a couple of weeks ago we could have compared little toes.  Mine was of the right foot.  Yours?

Right foot as well. A year and a half ago I broke my 3 & 4th metatarsal bones in the same foot! Not a freezer mishap that time though, but it has made me very protective of my toes!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shall never again -- not sure how to explain this -- go searching in the bedroom for a thermometer.  As it turns out the thermometer was not in the bedroom.  But what I did find was a leaking bag of what looked like liquid dog poop.  (I do not have a dog.)

 

The bag had fallen down between my battery of rolling pins and a pile of jeans.  Last fall publication of Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cookie Bible was delayed, and I did not bake cookies.  Which means the Teflon rolling pin had not been touched in over eighteen months.  And thankfully the jeans on the bottom of the pile are sizes I can't wear anyhow.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shall never again misplace the thermometer I had just recently located.  I must have set it down somewhere?  I went looking for a small tripod to hold the thermometer.  I eventually found the tripod, but now where is the thermometer?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again misplace the thermometer I had just recently located.  I must have set it down somewhere?  I went looking for a small tripod to hold the thermometer.  I eventually found the tripod, but now where is the thermometer?

 

😂I am laughing with you not at you! I have done this sort of thing too many times to count. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found the thermometer again.  Now I can't get it to connect to WiFi.  So far today the thermometer has been my only project.  I changed the batteries.  Maybe a firmware update might help?  I need the thermometer for tonight's braise.  Events like this may explain why dinner is so often delayed.

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will never again try to carry the pizza peel with pizza on board and also the turning peel to save myself a trip back outside. 

 

IMG_4343.thumb.jpeg.2145ee33632d9e9d0c44ea7feb24d88c.jpeg

 

Toppings on my neighbors lawn 

 

IMG_4344.thumb.jpeg.48e8a3c792c92d0c47812789164ca1a9.jpeg

 

Naked crust 

 

IMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.e1ae135e1f6269c6a8217a7fe4cb6443.jpeg

 

What it should have looked like!

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I will never again try to carry the pizza peel with pizza on board and also the turning peel to save myself a trip back outside. 

 

IMG_4343.thumb.jpeg.2145ee33632d9e9d0c44ea7feb24d88c.jpeg

 

Toppings on my neighbors lawn 

 

IMG_4344.thumb.jpeg.48e8a3c792c92d0c47812789164ca1a9.jpeg

 

Naked crust 

 

IMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.e1ae135e1f6269c6a8217a7fe4cb6443.jpeg

 

What it should have looked like!

 

Outdoors I think you get the twenty five second rule.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Found the thermometer again.  Now I can't get it to connect to WiFi.  So far today the thermometer has been my only project.  I changed the batteries.  Maybe a firmware update might help?  I need the thermometer for tonight's braise.  Events like this may explain why dinner is so often delayed.

 

 

In keeping with this thread, I probably will never again ask this, but why do you need a thermometer for a braise?  

 

And maybe the intention of being so perfect with certain aspects of what should actually be fun and hobby-like (i.e. cooking), is why dinner is so often delayed?

 

After all, Escoffier's firmware was not often updated.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Outdoors I think you get the twenty five second rule.

 

The pepperoni was kind of stuck in the grass - so not really salvageable - but the crust was!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...