• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

huiray

Grocery Shopping

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

@JoNorvelleWalker Acme is still present in Northern NJ— specifically Morris Plains. “Acme” was my first actual word as a child outside of yes, no and forms of mom and dad. 

I haven’t been in their store on probablt 15 years but it changed a bit since my childhood. I have had them delivered via Instacart. 

A&P I remember fondly as the one that was in Morristown (and is now a Whole Foods) sold alcohol so I could shop there for food while in college and buy beer and have my friends give me money back for it when my parents thought I was just getting food. 🙈

Jeff who? Corzine? 

I also foundly rememner Grand Union in Basking Ridge. 

In this case Jeff Bezos.

I do have somewhat fonder memories of Acme from when I was growing up in Philadelphia in the 1950's.

There is an Acme near me, in Hamilton Square. It doesn’t get nearly as much business as the ShopRite which is a 1/2 mile away, smaller store, higher prices. 

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Found this amusing.

5CACB46E-72AA-44A4-926A-D457BBD49434.jpeg

• Haha 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 6/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, chefmd said:

Went to H mart in Merrifield to replenish our kimchi supply.  Saw these mushrooms.  Does anyone know what meat flavor means?  And lobsters were on sale 7.99 a pound.  There is some glare from the glass but these crustaceans were huge!

58EBF548-8A50-4177-B889-BF7D81B38F73.thumb.jpeg.b9d521a219b2a3e0bd5bfe15182e36ae.jpeg

604B27AD-AF1C-42B8-87CE-FFC4366B8811.thumb.jpeg.04b0811dd47ad3b89adc75b10eec3754.jpeg

Just a marketing miss-step as usual with Asian countries and English mash up. . They are "meaty". My favorite Korean market slices them cross-wise, sautees and does a soy sauce/wasabi dip. Wonderful.

• Like 1