• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

@JoNorvelleWalker Acme is still present in Northern NJ— specifically Morris Plains. “Acme” was my first actual word as a child outside of yes, no and forms of mom and dad. 

I haven’t been in their store on probablt 15 years but it changed a bit since my childhood. I have had them delivered via Instacart. 

A&P I remember fondly as the one that was in Morristown (and is now a Whole Foods) sold alcohol so I could shop there for food while in college and buy beer and have my friends give me money back for it when my parents thought I was just getting food. 🙈

Jeff who? Corzine? 

I also foundly rememner Grand Union in Basking Ridge. 

In this case Jeff Bezos.

I do have somewhat fonder memories of Acme from when I was growing up in Philadelphia in the 1950's.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

There is an Acme near me, in Hamilton Square. It doesn’t get nearly as much business as the ShopRite which is a 1/2 mile away, smaller store, higher prices. 

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, chefmd said:

Went to H mart in Merrifield to replenish our kimchi supply.  Saw these mushrooms.  Does anyone know what meat flavor means?  And lobsters were on sale 7.99 a pound.  There is some glare from the glass but these crustaceans were huge!

58EBF548-8A50-4177-B889-BF7D81B38F73.thumb.jpeg.b9d521a219b2a3e0bd5bfe15182e36ae.jpeg

604B27AD-AF1C-42B8-87CE-FFC4366B8811.thumb.jpeg.04b0811dd47ad3b89adc75b10eec3754.jpeg

Just a marketing miss-step as usual with Asian countries and English mash up. . They are "meaty". My favorite Korean market slices them cross-wise, sautees and does a soy sauce/wasabi dip. Wonderful.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The end is nigh! Prepare to meet your maker! Confess your sins and cash in your assets!

Today I went to the supermarket in search of a carrot. Well, not just a carrot obviously. But when I got to the hitherto unsullied carrot section, I found all the carrots had been kidnapped and bound to alien lifeforms pretending to be food!

I ran all the way home and had a good lie down. I'm still shaking in horror!

1301778859_20191128_1143111.thumb.jpg.a8b036b0fc774b8f4baef3964869a987.jpg

I may never be able to face a supermarket again!

• Haha 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

That is just weird.  

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just to let you know, I live in Iowa, the Corn State.  To take our minds off the constant stream of presidential wanna-bes roaming the state right now we have decided to create mischief.  Swapping out mundane veggies like carrots for corn is just the beginning.  I have heard potatoes are next on the list, followed by squash..  And a tip and a word to the wise, enjoy that rice while you can😌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I wonder what the reason for that was.  Is there a prominent dish that always uses corn and carrots together?  I mean, why not bundle up potatoes and onions, or eggplant and potato etc.?

Good question. I'm not aware of any dish that uses both carrot and c*rn, but as you may have noticed, I eschew c*rn dishes, so am no expert. That said, this is the fìrst time I've seen that combination.

Combination purchases are not unusual, but as you suggest are more usually based on tried and tested, popular combinations. Clams and mustard greens is a big one. Carrots and daikon radish. Gin and tonic.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps it’s acknowledging American expats shopping for Thanksgiving where corn will be traditional and you’ll need a carrot as a traditional vegetable alongside.

• Like 2

I think this is a Top Notch Marketing.

someone in Bizz School thought this :

This will be a DoorBuster   ( or what ever they call it )

Ill bundle some Junk we have to get rid of

w something everybody will just have to buy anyway

and I wont sell the second item alone.

Nobel Price in Economic pending.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps it’s acknowledging American expats shopping for Thanksgiving where corn will be traditional and you’ll need a carrot as a traditional vegetable alongside.

I don't think the only one  American who lives here would ever get through the amount they had on offer until next Thanksgiving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The appearance of corn at Thanksgiving has always mystified me. There is no fresh corn in late November in the US. Perhaps in corn growing regions people put corn by in jars, or use frozen corn for whatever corn dishes they think belong on the Thanksgiving table. Now anything made from dried corn I can see: cornbread dressing of a side of grits would be excellent. But my in-laws are very reluctant to give up potatoes. This year they won't be getting mashed potatoes because the nephew who makes them isn't coming. I'm making a version of Smitten Kitchen's Melting Potatoes that works for vegetarians, which four out of the six people at our table tonight will be. This promises to be the most relaxed, quiet holiday in the history of my husband's family. No grandparents,, no millennials, no dogs. 

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin  Those clips were hilarious. I have tears in my eyes. Then channeling them I went to the kitchen, cleane=ed off a knife with mayo on it, somehow got mayo on my finger which I used to brush my bangs out of face....

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Picked up my grocery order curbside earlier today.

Lucky for me the skirt steak was back in stock but no wine!

Montana no longer allows alcohol to be purchased online even though you have to agree to an ID check.

That’s really unfortunate and If I have to go inside to buy my beer and wine I may as well get all my groceries then and save the ‘courtesy charge’.  I hope this will change, it’s not good for me or the merchant.

• Sad 1

I got a delivery via instacart today. Always nice people. I ended up with can of tomato paste I did not order - but hardy an issue. As to wine - California allows. I think they just can't substitute unless pre-approved. Especially around holiday party time seems a lobbyist is needed :)

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, lindag said:

Picked up my grocery order curbside earlier today.

Lucky for me the skirt steak was back in stock but no wine!

Montana no longer allows alcohol to be purchased online even though you have to agree to an ID check.

That’s really unfortunate and If I have to go inside to buy my beer and wine I may as well get all my groceries then and save the ‘courtesy charge’.  I hope this will change, it’s not good for me or the merchant.

Thankfully wine may legally be delivered in New Jersey.  Can you call up by telephone and order wine to be delivered?  If not, the strains of Gillian Welch's opus Dry Town are running through my head:  "Hundred miles 'tween me and Missoula..."  Your only recourse may be the ballot box or burning tires in the street.

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, liuzhou said:

Confess your sins and cash in your assets!

Here's the part that horrifies me: Six kuai (80 cents?) for a single carrot- in season - and an ear of corn - deeply out of season.  How does China propose to keep the people fed with rising food costs like that??

On 12/9/2019 at 10:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thankfully wine may legally be delivered in New Jersey.  Can you call up by telephone and order wine to be delivered?  If not, the strains of Gillian Welch's opus Dry Town are running through my head:  "Hundred miles 'tween me and Missoula..."  Your only recourse may be the ballot box or burning tires in the street.

It doesn't make any sense to me.  

I can (and did) order a case from Naked Wines that will be delivered later today.  I do need to be here to sign.

So, I don't understand how it's different that-n picking it up from the grocer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fondue said:

Here's the part that horrifies me: Six kuai (80 cents?) for a single carrot- in season - and an ear of corn - deeply out of season.  How does China propose to keep the people fed with rising food costs like that??

Where do you get the idea that a carrot and an ear of corn cost ¥6?

While this store is a bit more expensive than some, the produce I posted is only ¥7.98 a kilo! Around $1 USD.

Vegetables are still very cheap in China, although meat prices are rising due to African swine fever.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

1 hour ago, lindag said:

It doesn't make any sense to me.  

I can (and did) order a case from Naked Wines that will be delivered later today.  I do need to be here to sign.

So, I don't understand how it's different that-n picking it up from the grocer.

If I were into that I'd charge a lot extra for delivering in the snow.

• Haha 1