• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Secret Life of Groceries"

SLB

A new book by Benjamin Lorr.  The subtitle is "The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket."  

People, it's wonderful.  I'm always thrilled when nonfiction is presented with genuinely good writing, and Lorr is a master. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLB said:

A new book by Benjamin Lorr.  The subtitle is "The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket."  

People, it's wonderful.  I'm always thrilled when nonfiction is presented with genuinely good writing, and Lorr is a master. 

Thanks for the recommendation.  

Dave Arnold had Benjamin Lorr a few weeks ago on his Cooking Issues podcast: The Secret Life of Groceries with Benjamin Lorr

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  

Dave Arnold had Benjamin Lorr a few weeks ago on his Cooking Issues podcast: The Secret Life of Groceries with Benjamin Lorr

Thanks for the link. I forced a listen - the man banter was grating - but what I got was a sense that it was not so much "Kitchen Confidential" do not eat fish on Monday - as backstory labor issues. I'll probably read it.

ETA: it brought to mind @chardgirl's husband's piece in a book about agricuture in which he described in amusng and terrifying detail the difficulty of getting broccoli to market. Police, mobsters and toll booth characters were involved. Don't remember name of book. I also once had a client in the L.A. wholesale produce market . The stories!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

The biography of Joe of the California fixation "Trader Joe's," is magnificent.  

ETA:  I'm referring to the section of The Secret Life of Groceries, which wasn't clear at all.  

Edited by SLB (log)