• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

2022035751_eggs5d.thumb.jpg.5b916734f2cd3e171c2701c4b39d27d1.jpg

Egg shopping this morning. Clockwise from top - duck, chicken, quail, goose.

1296203286_eggbasket.thumb.jpg.cee9379649df79b98dd2a3105657e141.jpg

Just curious, is this a weeks worth of eggs, two, three ? They look yummy.

I did notice that you avoided putting all your eggs in one basket.  What a pretty assortment.  The Easter Bunny did himself proud.  Off topic, but a small town near-by is holding a hard boiled egg eating contest on May 11.  I hope the wind is blowing away from us the next day,  The gas leak may be horrible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

One of my favorite combos is pickled quail eggs with chunks of knockwurst (pickled as well). I canned 10 pints of those for Christmas gift baskets one year, and had calls for repeats.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Amazon again came through!  Seventeen limes.  Seven organic.  Ten conventional.  For the moment I am safe.

• Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, IowaDee said:

I wonder how many slices of Key Lime Pie one would need to eat to protect yourself from scurvy?

Sudden death may occur in patients with scurvy.  The RDA for vitamin C is 60 mg.  An average lime contains 19.5 mg vitamin C.  A random key lime pie recipe calls for 3/4 cup lime juice.  That's about three limes.  Assume the pie makes six slices and that would be your answer.

But wait!  Vitamin C is heat labile.  It is best to be conservative.  When does your therapy begin?  (And should you run out of pie vitamin C is available as an injection.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/28/2019 at 1:01 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This week's amazon prime now delivery was again strip steak rather than the dry aged ribeye I ordered.  Amazon didn't charge me and they gave me a $10.00 credit on top of that.  I don't see how they make a profit.  It would seem so much easier to just send the ribeye I ordered.  They sent ribeye once, I know they can do it if they want to.

I’d keep ordering ribeye. Nice little income. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I’d keep ordering ribeye. Nice little income. 

Spoken like a true pragmatist. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Haven't had to buy eggs this week. My geriatric chickens seem to be adapting to the warmer weather. Got six of these beauties yesterday! No double-yolkers, though. 

20190503_094916.jpg

• Like 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Haven't had to buy eggs this week. My geriatric chickens seem to be adapting to the warmer weather. Got six of these beauties yesterday! No double-yolkers, though. 

20190503_094916.jpg

Am I correct that double yolkers are a product of younger hens when they first start laying?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

H'mm. The new house has a BIG yard. Room for chickens.....perhaps there is a chicken coop in my future?

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

@Kerry Beal... I'm not sure.  We've had a mix of young and old hens, and I don't really know which ones popped out the doubles.  I always thought their productivity - single or double yolkers -  was related the amount of sunlight and nutrients they received.   I do recall that when the younger ones had just started laying daily, some of them would pop out 2 eggs per day, so, maybe that could segue into one egg with two yolks later on. (?) 

I will report back, should I come across any doubles with this gang.  

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

9 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Beautiful eggs

• Thanks 1

I don't know if it's national or just a test in our region, but the Sobey's chain (one of the two main Canadian supermarkets) has begun offering "sensory shopping" for those with autism or other sensitivities. Once or twice a week the lights are dimmed, the sound system muted, and noisy activities (cart collection, shelf-stocking, etc) are put on hold.

It's not something I'd plan a shopping trip around (not most days, anyway) but I can see how it would be a boon for anyone who needs it.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I actually found myself in our local Sobey's last night during the "sensory shopping" hour (not intentionally, I'd just gotten back from out-of-province and needed a few things).

It took me longer than it really should have to realize what was going on (in my defense, I'd been driving most of the preceding three days) but once I did, I quite enjoyed it. It was rather relaxing.

• Like 4

Some grocery chains here play the most god-awful music, and it's very loud as well.  I don't know who this is for, certainly not me.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We "commute" between our Mexico and Florida homes every few months, but only stay a week or so at the FL house so I don't do a lot of grocery shopping.  We keep butter in the freezer and it lasts us a long time.  But we ran out so I bought some this morning at Publix.  When the heck did Land O Lakes butter go to $5.50 a pound (even the store brand was just under 5 bucks)?  My best guess is the last time I bought butter was last Thanksgiving (or maybe earlier than that).  

Granted Publix is not a discount store but it is where I normally shop and my recollection is that the last time I bought butter it was in the 3 dollar a pound range.  

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

We "commute" between our Mexico and Florida homes every few months, but only stay a week or so at the FL house so I don't do a lot of grocery shopping.  We keep butter in the freezer and it lasts us a long time.  But we ran out so I bought some this morning at Publix.  When the heck did Land O Lakes butter go to $5.50 a pound (even the store brand was just under 5 bucks)?  My best guess is the last time I bought butter was last Thanksgiving (or maybe earlier than that).  

Granted Publix is not a discount store but it is where I normally shop and my recollection is that the last time I bought butter it was in the 3 dollar a pound range.  

Food52 published this "best butter for baking" piece last month using prices from the NYC area. They're showing Land O' Lakes @ $4.89/lb, Whole Foods store brand @ $3.49 and Trader Joe's @ $2.99. 

I buy Kerrygold for the table and it's higher, $2.85/8 oz.  I haven't scoped out local prices for the others.

• Like 1

Aldi butter is fairly regularly $2.69 a pound. I buy four or five pounds at a time and stash in the freezer. I've found them to be consistently cheaper on all dairy products, though Kroger will periodically match their price on milk on a sale basis.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.