• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Shopping

huiray

Been re-stocking the vinegar shelf.

vinegars.thumb.jpg.64363eeea5deec29c4ff1924d9508792.jpg

L-R White rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, Shanxi (6-year) aged vinegar, Zhenjiang vinegar, Zhejiang red vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar di Modena, cider vinegar, apple vinegar.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

38 minutes ago, lindag said:

If you need help, let me know.  I have resources.

Thanks very much but I'll be fine for food and toilet paper.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Do report back when you find out what has changed. 

There is a bill in the NJ Assembly (A1278) and Senate (S2282) to allow the # of retail liquor licenses held by an individual or corporation to increase from 2 (the current level) to 10, gradually over ten years.  

I believe those bills are both still in committee.

I find the wide range of state liquor laws amazing.  New York State also forbids wine and liquor sales in grocery stores and restricts the # of retail liquor licenses to one per individual or corporation, so no sales by chains either.  It also forbids retail liquor stores from selling anything besides liquor and wine (food, cigarettes, etc.) except for a few specified items like ice, corkscrews, wine publications, etc.

I can't speak to your local situation, @rotuts,  but liquor prices at my TJ's, by and large, are generally within a dollar or two (up or down) of the prices at Total Wine.  They do have some of their own labels and sometimes get in a name brand product that is quite a good deal but those things come and go and can't be relied on.  

I have not used them in a while, but in the past, have had great success with Pop's Wine delivered to my front door. If getting around is an issue, you might give them a try.

https://www.popswine.com/

HC

• 3 weeks later...

On our recent trip to Italy, we developed a fondness for aperol spritz's and I decided to add them to our home bar set-up. UPS just delivered the Prosecco, but Pop's Wine can no longer deliver "spirits" outside of the state of NY, so I'll have to pick that up locally.

HC

IMG_2070.thumb.JPG.7ebd953ce5ce901f75eee05f67f4e873.JPGIMG_2073.thumb.JPG.9955b9d0e6cbade7562d94bb5f7047b8.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Today's haul after shopping for an empty fridge.

Only thing missing from the picture is 2 litres of milk.

Turkey thighs will be brined and eaten on Saturday along with the sweet potato and the eggplant; trout will be stuffed with shrimp and cooked in parchment paper served with the long beans and some mushrooms and coconut rice from the freezer tonight.  Caesar salad for lunch.  The pineapple may go into tonight's cocktail. 

DSC02788.thumb.jpg.3c2f41c4d0b08de4402abb9b7046d1d2.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

The weather has not been cooperative for grocery shopping so this afternoon I was putting together a Prime Now order for delivery from Whole Foods.  All well and good till my dinner started disappearing from the shopping cart from being out of stock.

Reluctantly I strapped on my faux Gore-tex booties and headed out to Shoprite (with a well earned detour by way of  the spirits monger).  Shoprite was full of people, horribly crowded and this largest supermarket I have ever seen.  I had made a list but triage was necessary, both for expense but more so for what I could carry.

By the time I finished checkout it was dark.  My backpack was full and I was juggling three bags.  The trip home was no fun at all.  I was hiking through dark deep water which is why I guess they call it "Nautical Twilight".  My arms were failing.

Now it's midnight, I am showered, and the rice is cooking.  Dinner is plan B.

But I did my good deed for the day!  Prime Now was sold out but I had wanted a branzino for my dinner (plan A).  Shoprite had decent looking branzini so I took a chance and bought one.  The recipe is from the CSO instruction booklet.  It is a favorite of mine.  The recipe calls for fresh thyme and oregano.  Oregano there was but no thyme.  I overheard a young couple devastated that there was no thyme.  I asked the woman in the produce section if there was any thyme in back.  She said whatever there was was out.

Then by happenstance I found another display with thyme!  Why a store, even a large store, needs four locations for fresh thyme is beyond my ken.  Some while later I ran into the young couple at the other end of the store as I was buying eggs.  I apologized profusely and asked if they were the people looking for thyme.  They were.  I described the location as best I could and they seemed most grateful.

Plan B was necessitated because my amazon same day delivery never came.  If indeed I eat this morning it may be in the dinner section.

• Like 1

I find one of the biggest frustrations with online grocery shopping  is the amount of stuff that is out of stock. I get it that fresh meat and vegetables are sold out. I don’t understand canned goods being out of stock.   Sometimes I place an order because I want one particular item and when my order arrives that is the one thing that is not in the box.  Grrrrrrr. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

By the time I finished checkout it was dark.  My backpack was full and I was juggling three bags.  The trip home was no fun at all.

Jo,

You need to buy a carabiner or two. They are large easy open, easy close clips that hook onto the strong loops most backpacks have. (Mine has three of these woven nylon loops.)  Plastic grocery bags can then be clipped onto the load on your back, making it easier to carry. It leaves your arms free to swing with your gait and saves that biting pain that can come from trying to carry grocery bags long distances in your hands.

Carabiners are used mostly by rock climbers so are sold in sporting goods stores, but I know you can find stuff online when you can't get it within walking distance locally. They are cheap, light aluminum, and I guarantee you will think this one of the best purchases you ever made.

I too am often frustrated by "out of stock" designation on grocery deliveries. It was no exception today, but at least I was able to get what I needed to make what I had committed to for the dishes for a Thanksgiving invite from my sister. I will be bringing the infamous green bean casserole with French's onions and lima beans for the eldest niece that loves them as much as I do. I am so looking forward to some of my sister's bread. She is a master at breadmaking, and it will be lovely to spend time with my family and see Sis's new horse. I am so looking forward to this!

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I find one of the biggest frustrations with online grocery shopping  is the amount of stuff that is out of stock. I get it that fresh meat and vegetables are sold out. I don’t understand canned goods being out of stock.   Sometimes I place an order because I want one particular item and when my order arrives that is the one thing that is not in the box.  Grrrrrrr. 

I've been having that same problem for the last months with Walmart.com.  

No less than 90 percent of the items in my cart are still  out of stock.  That is just ridiculous!  How can they sell  items if they're not available!?  Makes no sense.

And these are not luxury items, they're basic, day to day products that ought to be readily available everywhere.

• Like 3

I haven't tried Walmart's online shopping, but I have tried Boxed.com - and except for a couple mishaps with mayo and bread, I've been exceedingly happy with product selection and availability.   They've started carrying a few meats and seafood items, but I'm always a little leery about purchasing "fresh meat" without seeing it first-hand and examining it.  Some of the pricing is a little out there- like cereal, but there are some fantastic deals.  Everytime I purchase there, I can select 2 free sample items, as well. 

In the beginning, it was the big bulky items from Boxed, like TP, Papertowel, tissue, etc.  that I'd get.  Having that stuff delivered to my door is wonderful, esp in the winter.  Compared to what Wallyworld charges, there are fantastic deals to be found with the Prince and Spring brand name items.  Rarely have I found things out of stock.  And ladies, if you are of that age group or have daughters that are----there is no "Pink Tax" on those kinds of items. Razors and pit are included in that grouping. 

They've got all kinds of condiments, snacks, cereals, snack bars, canned goods, drinks, bread, crackers, English muffins, bagels, etc.  And, yes, they do have a fair selection of organic items.   

So, for your first order, you get 15% off the total.   Sometimes they kick in other sale items. So, if you're not happy with what you are currently  getting with other retailers, maybe take a look there. 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I've been having that same problem for the last months with Walmart.com.  

No less than 90 percent of the items in my cart are still  out of stock.  That is just ridiculous!  How can they sell  items if they're not available!?  Makes no sense.

And these are not luxury items, they're basic, day to day products that ought to be readily available everywhere.

Yep, this "out of stock" thing is a problem! My Instacart shoppers are going to the same Food Lion at Reedy Creek and Maynard Roads I used to walk to and regularly find all of my requested items. They regulary ignore the fresh loose carrots in favor of a bag that is so much easier to grab but is not nearly as fresh and hate to pick up seltzers in 2 litre bottles in favor of the more expensive seltzers in cartons of 12 oz cans.

I know this stuff is actually in stock, I know they do this willfully, but what are you going to do? I need help right now until I can get back to my ground-eating rolling gait that used to bring me in person to my grocery stores. It's a four mile round trip, and I hope I'm on my way to getting back to it. I'm getting stronger every day and so looking forward to picking out my own stuff again. Met my neighbor out at the garbage cans the other day and she said she'd be glad to walk with me when I'm up to it. Looking forward to when I can again do this and getting rid of the $20 and $30 delivery fees.

Ha! That makes my late brother's stealing over $50 and then demanding another $100 come into perspective after he shopped for me a week after coming home from the nursing home and eating mostly expired food. He was determined that I would be desperate. It did not work for him long term, though, and before we knew it he had passed. I never asked him for help again after the first rip off. I did give him the $100 even after the $50 theft. I just wanted him gone after he kept hammering me. He wasn't a nice person, but I still loved him. He sneered after he picked up the $100 bill off the floor where I had thrown it and after I asked him why he said, "Because you have it and I don't." Something that will always be between us. I was confined to a wheelchair at the time and he was extorting me. To my credit, this was the last time this ever happened, although it caused much fear that I would starve. I didn't. My neighbors were great and brought me groceries.

Today's delivery included two packages of chicken wing "drumettes". This is probably my least favorite cut of the chix. I requested whole chix wings. I will eat them, but I really prefer the wing tip and the two-bone "flat" that I put up with the drumettes to get.

I do wish they sold the flats separately as they do in some restaurants for an upcharge. Those are my favorite cut of chix.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I use InstaCart. They are really good about texting possible substitutions and letting you approve or not. Poor guy the other day couldn't find the Jiffy cornbread mix. I told him it was probably in a separate display cuz of holidays. Sure enough!

Edited by heidih (log)

I tried Instacart once. Cost was prohibitive and the constant emails drove me to distraction.  The service I do use is not cheap but the interaction is limited to a single phone call a few minutes before they expect to arrive at my house and then a very brief and very polite monetary transaction. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Jo,

You need to buy a carabiner or two. They are large easy open, easy close clips that hook onto the strong loops most backpacks have. (Mine has three of these woven nylon loops.)  Plastic grocery bags can then be clipped onto the load on your back, making it easier to carry. It leaves your arms free to swing with your gait and saves that biting pain that can come from trying to carry grocery bags long distances in your hands.

Carabiners are used mostly by rock climbers so are sold in sporting goods stores, but I know you can find stuff online when you can't get it within walking distance locally. They are cheap, light aluminum, and I guarantee you will think this one of the best purchases you ever made.

I know the things you mean.  I never thought of them!  Unfortunately (I just got up and checked) my backpack has no points of attachment.  I also have a big backpack that holds a ton but is pretty much too large and heavy for me these days.

• Sad 1

For me Uber runs $16 round trip to nearest decent market. Instacart delivery is $12.  Not exactly chep either way but until foot and knee heal I am stuck. I like shopping but imposing o n friends gets old...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Wouldn't an Uber car solve the problem?

Do they have attachment loops?  I suppose in some way Uber might be a solution if one is willing to pay the price.  And if one had a cell phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, I don't have a cell phone either, so Uber is out. Cabs accept cash around here while Uber does not as well. Also, when I got an estimate for a destination from Uber website it was equivalent with the cab company I use. You have to be careful, though, because one cab company I used one time was 50% more expensive than the one I've settled on. All they offered more than the cheaper one was getting out and opening and closing the door. Even though I was on crutches at the time, it's not worth 50% more. Didn't help with packages or anything, just the door.

> ^ . . ^ <

Wow, you all just made me realise how lucky I am. I use one or two stores for a monthly grocery order. Save On which costs anywhere from $4.95 to $9.95 for shopping and delivery (the time slot of your choice) but they suck at subs. Thrifty's (Sobeys) which I used to shop at regularly in my other life which offers shopping for $4.95 and delivery for $3.00. Thrifty's is by far ahead of the pack for customer service. They call you after they shop for you and let you know what items weren't in stock and what your options are. They also sell Stirling Silver beef, the cows are raised by standards set by Dr.Temple Grandin. Happy cows happy Bev. Walmart has just started grocery delivery and Real Canadian Superstore will shop for you but you have to pick it up. I get around by scooter so I can whiz over to the nearest shops to pick up anything small I need. 

• Like 1

Wall Street Journal today has a review of online grocery stores operating in NYC.  I'm home, on the wrong side of the paywall, but as I recall they favor Prime Now.  There was another grocery service the reviewer said was good if you were drunk.  She did not have a high opinion of Jet which is owned by Walmart.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

xD

Can you remember the name of this service so we can avoid it?

No but she was serious, she liked it!  Limited selection and high prices but easy to use interface and good delivery.  This afternoon when I'm back inside the paywall I'll try to take another look.

Here's the WSJ article in case any can access it: Checking Out New York’s Online Grocery Stores and All Their Trimmings

The three services discussed are FoodKick (operated by FreshDirect), Amazon Prime Now and Jet (owned by Walmart).

Foodkick is the service that @JoNorvelleWalker refers to as having a limited selection and simple to use interface that made it very easy to use.  Here's what else the author had to say about it:

FoodKick is the most fun of the three, suggesting bread, cheese and butter pairings for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich, for example. Its “Trending Now” chart, meanwhile, details what’s currently popular with customers (last week: ground bison and salty caramel Raw Bliss Balls).

The selection is more pared down. While FreshDirect offers 24 kinds of lettuce, for example, FoodKick offers 10. This made ordering simple and straightforward. In fact, my FoodKick order was the only one on which I didn’t make a goofy mistake. It is the best option if you’re drunk, in a hurry or just too tired to think.

On the downside, FoodKick offered just 13 of the 20 items on my shopping list. And it is expensive. A pound of cashews cost $11.49, for example, compared with $7.99 on Amazon Prime Now. On average, items on my shopping list cost about 25% more on FoodKick than on Amazon or Jet.

FoodKick says its average prices can be higher because it focuses on high-quality products and premium brands. Amazon and Jet both say they offer customers a choice, including premium options.

I was pleased with my FoodKick delivery. Upon placing my order at 9:18 a.m., I chose the earliest available one-hour slot, between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. My order arrived at 11:53 a.m. with no errors.

• Like 3