• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Kimchi in an Ontario grocery store

Darienne

I've never tasted kimchi but I keep reading about how important it is in a diet.  OK.  So I'll buy some and try it.  

What grocery store in Ontario carries a brand which one of you favours?  And where in the store is it likely to be?  Please remember, that I am sending Ed to get it.  

(Please don't suggest Farm Boy.  We do not have one in Peterborough.)

Thanks.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't know if you have a Costco membership, but I have seen it there.  Natural food stores might carry it as well.  The main grocery stores may sell it, but I've never looked for it there (or anywhere).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For someone new to kimchi, I'd suggest the Green Table Organic. It's a Guelph-based brand carried at some Sobeys/Longos as well as smaller grocers and health food stores. It's quite light and fresh tasting, and a good place to start. Not sure who might carry it in your area but you can contact Green Table via their website to ask -- they have a store locator but it isn't working for me.

For something a bit stronger/more pungent, Loblaws carries Wildbrine in their organic foods section.

Both of these are vegan -- i.e. no fish sauce or shrimp paste.

• Like 1

Hey @Darienne, I can't remember if you are still seeking kimchi or if your husband was able to find it locally.  You mentioned elsewhere that your daughter is coming from Toronto for a visit.  How about asking her to pick up a jar of kimchi for you?  As @dianem noted, there are a lot of vegan versions out there if that would be a consideration for you or your daughter. 

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hey @Darienne, I can't remember if you are still seeking kimchi or if your husband was able to find it locally.  You mentioned elsewhere that your daughter is coming from Toronto for a visit.  How about asking her to pick up a jar of kimchi for you?  As @dianem noted, there are a lot of vegan versions out there if that would be a consideration for you or your daughter. 

Ed found it locally in one of the chain groceries.  That weekend I tried 3 K's:  kimchi, kombucha and kefir.  Afraid none of them are going to make it onto the preferred list.  Kimchi is not unlike other vegetable mixtures we are already using.  

Thanks, @blue_dolphin for asking.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.