• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: San Marzano tomatoes (or type) in Ontario

Keeping in mind that we shop in Peterborough and not Toronto and we don't have Farm Boy, Longo's or any of the other speciality grocery stores...where do you suppose Ed should look for San Marzano or San Marzano type tomatoes?  Costco is supposed to carry them, but in multiple quantities and this is out of our normal snack bracket.  We do buy Lindt couverture (admittedly not the best) and the best salmon, but probably that's about it for more costly ingredients.  

He's already looked at Super Store and they don't seem to carry them.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

where do you suppose Ed should look for San Marzano or San Marzano type tomatoes?  Costco is supposed to carry them, but in multiple quantities and this is out of our normal snack bracket.

Are you looking for canned tomatoes? I often buy from Costco - 6 cans for about $15 or so, I think. Here's the link but it shows the online ordering price and buying in store is less. 

https://www.costco.ca/la-san-marzano-whole-peeled-tomatoes%2c-6-×-796-ml.product.100417662.html

Edited to add:  I don't think 6 cans is a lot of tomatoes because I use them frequently but you may feel differently. 🙂

I like to make tomato soup with them, for example. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Are you looking for canned tomatoes? I often buy from Costco - 6 cans for about $15 or so, I think. Here's the link but it shows the online ordering price and buying in store is less. 

https://www.costco.ca/la-san-marzano-whole-peeled-tomatoes%2c-6-×-796-ml.product.100417662.html

Edited to add:  I don't think 6 cans is a lot of tomatoes because I use them frequently but you may feel differently. 🙂

I like to make tomato soup with them, for example. 

I just want to try them once.  If they are worth in my humble estimation...then I'll make the jump, after convincing Mr. Ed that it is necessary.  If not...then that's it and we are back to Unico as always.  

Thanks.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

12 minutes ago, Darienne said:

If not...then that's it and we are back to Unico as always.

Unico does have a "San Marzano Type" product. Have you tried it? I see it in some of the stores here, but I prefer the Costco version, partly because Unico adds a lot more salt. 

http://www.unico.ca/products.php?id=18&catid=16

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Wow. That's really interesting. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Nope.  $20.,00 to begin with...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Unico does have a "San Marzano Type" product. Have you tried it? I see it in some of the stores here, but I prefer the Costco version, partly because Unico adds a lot more salt. 

http://www.unico.ca/products.php?id=18&catid=16

You are correct.  I just opened a can of Unico diced tomatoes and was stunned at how salty they were to taste.  It's fine for spaghetti sauce...but not for tasting.  Ed bought some speciality tomatoes last week when he couldn't find the San Marzano...sorry the name is gone forever...and they didn't taste this salty at all.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 hours ago, Darienne said:

I just want to try them once.  If they are worth in my humble estimation...then I'll make the jump, after convincing Mr. Ed that it is necessary.  If not...then that's it and we are back to Unico as always.  

3 cans of DOP Strianese tomatoes for 7.99 is a good price. I don't feel right unless I have at least 6 cans  of good quality San Marzano tomatoes in the pantry.. I make tomato sauce and pizza sauce in large batches and store it by the pint in the freezer. Most Italian brands of whole tomatoes that say DOP are pretty reliable, at least the ones I've tried.  

Of course, I always have a flat of diced tomatoes for our cooking use.  This isn't a case of trying to use only one can...it's a case of not paying out of our normal price range for something that we end up feeling is not worth the money...TO US...not that it's not worth the money...but it's not going to be something we do.  Just as we don't use Valrhona chocolate either.  It's out of our comfortable spending regime...but we do eat the best salmon because we've decided it's worth it to us.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

21 hours ago, Darienne said:

You are correct.  I just opened a can of Unico diced tomatoes and was stunned at how salty they were to taste.  It's fine for spaghetti sauce...but not for tasting.  Ed bought some speciality tomatoes last week when he couldn't find the San Marzano...sorry the name is gone forever...and they didn't taste this salty at all.

Unico does sell diced tomatoes without salt but they still add calcium chloride which adds a weird rubbery texture in my opinion. I almost always buy whole tomatoes but rarely Unico as I think most of theirs have calcium chloride. There are a few different brands I buy but they are almost always whole peeled tomatoes with no calcium chloride and not too much added salt (if any). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Unico does sell diced tomatoes without salt but they still add calcium chloride which adds a weird rubbery texture in my opinion. I almost always buy whole tomatoes but rarely Unico as I think most of theirs have calcium chloride. There are a few different brands I buy but they are almost always whole peeled tomatoes with no calcium chloride and not too much added salt (if any). 

Thanks for the information, FauxPas.  I guess our taste in canned tomatoes is not all that sophisticated.  No, I am not being sarcastic.  I've never been aware of that rubbery texture you speak of.   

Somethings we are aware of...others not.  Chocolate yes (restricted here by snack brackets).  Canned tomatoes no.  Then I think we are all pretty much like that.  I have a family member who has travelled the world and eaten with the best of them and yet she loves Cheese Whiz (gah!) and birthday cakes from Loblaws with the icing containing well...other than butter for sure (Gag!).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 hours ago, Darienne said:

I guess our taste in canned tomatoes is not all that sophisticated.  No, I am not being sarcastic.  I've never been aware of that rubbery texture you speak of.   

I know there are others who agree with you - they don't think that rubbery texture is there or else it just doesn't bother them. But it's one of those things for me - once I noticed it, I couldn't ignore it.  🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use a blunt ended wooded "spoon" to crush tomatoes as I make sauce.    I just keep "stomping" on them gently.    I have never found rubbery parts in my sauces.   Everything reduces to a thick sauce with body.    While I would love to be hooked on San Marzano tomatoes, I find ordinary plum tomatoes from good brands their equal, IMHO.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.