• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: fresh tomatoes in December

Darienne

Tomatoes I love to excess.  And mostly Ed buys the grape/cherry tomatoes because they actually taste like tomatoes.  But right now I can't eat those little tomatoes because I can't deal with the tomato skins. 

So my question is has anyone had any luck at all buying any other kind of fresh tomato in the chain grocery stores in Ontario?  What kind and which store, please.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

The only ones I've come across that resemble tomatoes are Kumatos, the ones with the brownish/dark green skins.

Never heard of them.  Please where did you find them?  We don't have a full complement of stores in Peterborough so if it was Farm Boy, we are SOL.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Loblaws usually has them.  John is going out today to track down Maclaren's Imperial cheese and I'll ask him to check.  For sure he is going to Loblaws and if they don't have the cheese, he will be checking Metro.  I'll get back to you.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The only ones I've come across that resemble tomatoes are Kumatos, the ones with the brownish/dark green skins.

I have two Kumatos sitting on the cutting board to become tonight's dinner, along with bread and cheese.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We don't have a Loblaws in Peterborough, however we do have a Superstore.  I've added Kumatos to the grocery list with the words 'ask in produce' and now we wait. 

Thanks for the help, all.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, John wasn't any help.  He forgot, despite me having written it down on "the list".  I'm sorry.  But, I'm pretty sure Superstore carries it.  Another type that isn't too bad is Campari, though they are the "cocktail" size.

The Sunset website has a 'find a store' search. They list 60+ varieties.  Sunset link

Kumato and wild wonders are my winter go-to tomatoes. 

I make Dad a favorite feta bake using wild wonders. Olives, artichoke hearts, lots of lemon and olive oil on a bed of shaved fennel. Served with a big fresh baked boule. 

FETTA BAKE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

The cute Italian gal with her US husband on their U-tube channel rubs all around the tomato with the back of a knife and peels. I suppose another method would be to cut a small x on the stem end and blanch 10 seconds, then into ice water. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 6:17 PM, Annie_H said:

The Sunset website has a 'find a store' search. They list 60+ varieties.  Sunset link

Kumato and wild wonders are my winter go-to tomatoes. 

I make Dad a favorite feta bake using wild wonders. Olives, artichoke hearts, lots of lemon and olive oil on a bed of shaved fennel. Served with a big fresh baked boule. 

FETTA BAKE.jpeg

Wow, I like it. I never heard about kumato before.

On 12/22/2023 at 7:54 AM, Darienne said:

Ed brought home a package of Kumatos and I'll try them out today.  First to find out how to skin a tomato.  Thanks, @ElsieD and the others who have helped.

The Kumato tomatoes are delicious and I'm so glad that we now have them.  I'm also using bottled Mutti Passata and it tastes good...skinless and strained.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

The Kumato tomatoes are delicious and I'm so glad that we now have them.  I'm also using bottled Mutti Passata and it tastes good...skinless and strained.  

The Mutti canned tomatoes are also very good.

• Like 1

Im still enjoying the Campari from TJ's

they come from Mexico vs those from Canada,

there was a hint of orange on them a few weeks ago.

I passed for a few says.  nice and red since , different average size from time to time.

I now get several packs , so they stay on the counter for several days before i eat them

helps mature them a bit I think

no complaints

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I agree with @rotuts on t h e Campai tomatoes.  They're good too.

Campari, Kumato, Mexico or Canada, same company.  Wish I had some now.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou