• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

Wegmans oreo knockoffs are good, but I wish they made the version with the vanilla cookies and chocolate cream!

I really don't like the Newman-Os. Something in the flavor and the texture really turns me off. Maybe it reminds me of an old person's musty house, for some reason?

Visiting a supermarket in NE Ohio earlier this week, I saw Golden Oreos with limeade creme. We didn't get any because I was afraid they wouldn't do well in the car with the sun beating down on them for 6+ hours.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oreos are one of the basic food groups, in our house.   It doesn't matter- kids or adults- Oreos disappear at lightening speed.

And, thanks to their new packaging with the peel-back opening, I've been frustrated more times than I can count.  I set them under a towel, in the corner of the counter, in my workshop, thinking they'd be safe. Later, I went in to begin work, and it looked like I had an undisturbed, unopened package sitting on the counter.  But no!  The opening can be perfectly re-sealed!!!!    My son (17)  ate the entire contents, and put the package back in exactly the same place with the top perfectly re-sealed. Stealthy little bugger, he is.  Now, the workshop door stays locked.

Oreos and PB Oreos make terrific truffles, btw.  Original Oreos work well with white chocolate; the PB Oreos go with Milk Chocolate.  Pulverize them to kingdom-come, and blend into the ganache.  

I've often thought the imprint on the Oreo would make the perfect family crest. :wink:

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 9 months later...

Cass Lake, Minnesota: a town of about 770 people and, at this time of the year, many additional campers and fisherfolk. For a town of its size, it has an impressive grocery store.  I went in to pick up packages of this season's wild rice.  

Product demonstrator cast the line: "Hello, have you had your Oreos today?"

"No," I said, struggling to remember when I last had eaten an Oreo.  Has it been in this decade?  This century?  Not that I'm opposed to them, mind, except for the calories.

She set the hook: "They have a dozen new flavors. Want to try some?" She had samples of half a dozen new cookie flavors: all with the traditional chocolate or vanilla wafers, but the cream/creme filling was different.  There were vanilla wafers with lemon.  Chocolate wafers with a raspberry/strawberry combo.  Chocolate with peanut butter.  Chocolate with mint.  I tried all that she had. Untested but visible were variations for folks who want to change the wafer/filling ratio: on the one hand they had triple sandwich cookies with three wafers and two layers of filling; on the other hand they had single wafers with a layer of cream/creme, the whole lot coated with chocolate.  Think Mystic Mint Meets Oreos.  

She reeled me in: "See if you can guess the fillings."  In almost all cases I could get them - they really did taste as advertised - but one confounded me.  "It looks like confetti in the filling," I said.  I liked it, both because and in spite of its too-rich back-of-the-throat sweetness. I couldn't place it. "Most of us love these until we're about 30 years old," she hinted, "and then we want nothing more to do with them."  Aha!  

Oreo birthday cake flavor.jpg

My purchase.  The cookies have that rich sweet flavor of a fully-loaded birthday cake with frosting.  I'm not sure I dare open the package.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Er, I opened the package. Here is a sample of the contents:

Orea Cookies split.jpg

Bad idea.  What a way to go. :laugh:

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Love the Lemon and Marshmallow Crispy......IMO stay far away from the brownie one......

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I went to the Oreo web site to review these, but the site was Sooo  complicated I couldn't fine the new flavors.

BTW  The Donald has given up Oreo's as the parent company moved

some jobs from Chicago to Mexico.

that's what Google thought i needed to know.

go figure.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

". . . on the other hand they had single wafers with a layer of cream/creme, the whole lot coated with chocolate.  Think Mystic Mint Meets Oreos.  

I used to love Mystic Mints, so I like this Oreo version. They have to be frozen, though.

• Like 1

One of my former coworkers used to eat Oreos regularly.  Almost ritualistically - 2 oreos each afternoon before he went to the gym.  No more, no less. 

Anytime I spotted a new flavor, I bought a package, tasted a couple and passed them off to my coworker so I got to try them without the risk of eating a whole package.  He was happy to try all the flavors but didn't want any double stuffed, triple decker or chocolate covered versions.  Something of a purist there. :laugh:

I thought the peanut butter ones had potential but the filling was too sweet, not surprising, but they'd be good if it had more of a salty peanut buttery taste.

The cookie dough and marshmallow crispy flavors tasted like their names would suggest.  I recall trying 2 types of mint flavor.  One was pretty good and the other not but I can't remember the specifics.

The raspberry flavor seemed very artificial.  Lemon was OK.  I never tried the birthday cake flavor since my coworker told me that he had tried them and didn't like them.  

The lemon ones are like Crack! Once you start eating them you can't stop. I hope they are not just a summer treat and they keep having them all year round.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

For those of you who haven't looked lately, there is also a Key Lime Oreo w/ graham cookies ( not a true graham cracker, but better than a regular golden oreo) Quite tasty. very intensely limey.

• Like 3

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

For those of you who haven't looked lately, there is also a Key Lime Oreo w/ graham cookies ( not a true graham cracker, but better than a regular golden oreo) Quite tasty. very intensely limey.

Oy vey. Now I'm tempted.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I recall trying 2 types of mint flavor.  One was pretty good and the other not but I can't remember the specifics.

I tried the mint version that are coated in chocolate and liked them. The local store brought them in one year around Christmas, got me hooked and they've never brought them in again. I'm semi glad about that... I really don't need them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I really liked the Cotton Candy Oreos that were at Target earlier this year. Really, really liked them. Probably a little too much and I repurchased more than I should have.

I don't think I will have the same problem with the new Brownie Batter Oreos. Just had one and the filling doesn't seem to go that well with the cookie I think.

My son liked the Red Velvet Oreos that were out before the Cotton Candy. He must not have been alone because I remember wanting to pick up another package for him but the next time I was at the store, they were all out.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
  • Like 1
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

the is probably only interests me :

Market Basket, an unusual chain in my area, they were in the news for the first many months of this year due to Cousins "A" disliking Cousins "B" and staging

a take over for more profit.  The store chain is very similar to two other large chains in my area, Stop&Shop and Roche Brothers, a local family chain.

at MB everything is cheaper, significantly so.  1 QT non-fat 'house' yogurt is $ 1.00 less than the other two stores. Management and employees work together 

etc. etc.

So I went there to look for some 'birthday' Oreos.   I try not to buy 'branded and advertised' stuff, as TJ's has similar-enough-for-me stuff at 1/3 less.

I could afford the 1/3d premium, but try not to as why should I pay for national advertising, which, if you are a Student of Economics, is more or less a

Body of Lies.

now you say : Cookies ?

several of the new Oreos at the MainBrand store cost 3.69 a unit.  at MB they cost 3.00 a unit.

but they only have 2 -3 types and no Happy Birthday cookies.

their shelf 'space' for Oreos is significantly less than the other two stores and we know AgraCon pays for that shelf space

to some up :  

I guess I know now why that yogurt I buy is $ 1 less

the employees at MB love working at the store and rarely leave

and

this policy at MB probably added 30 minutes + to my life as I went away w no Oreao's.

I hope some of those added minutes might involve some Home 'Q', with a nice glass of M.R.

I'll see.

F.D.:  this is not a Political Statement in any way.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 5 weeks later...

I have been looking for the key lime Oreos that caroled mentioned upthread but no luck so far.  Ditto on the red velvet Oreos - I know they were out over the summer and I suspect they are long gone.

As far as limited-time flavors, I spotted caramel apple, pumpkin spice (vanilla cookie with flavored filling), brownie batter and the Halloween variety with filling that's orange but not flavored differently.  

I think I tried these last year, but went for a bag of the caramel apple:

oreobag.jpg

oreoplate.jpg

There's a little caramel flavor in the brown icing, a little "artificial green apple/Jolly Rancher" flavor in the green icing.  The cookie part seemed a bit stale. 

Two was enough.  Have to figure out how to get rid of the rest of the bag now that I can't just leave them in the break room at work!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

From The Onion: "Pope Francis Reverses Position On Capitalism After Seeing Wide Variety Of American Oreos"

I would have posted in the Food Humor forum, but then this one showed up.

• Like 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

The Pumpkin Spice Oreos were OK. Actually the filling and cookie combined to really give a pumpkin pie filling/crust vibe. But a little goes a long way and it took a long time to finish the bag.

My son and his friends tried the caramel apple and they all thought they were too chemically. They even tried to get creative and created apple only and caramel only versions. Apparently neither were palatable - "The apple were really bad and the caramel were just bad".

Next up, Toasted Coconut...

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
  • Like 3
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Next up, Toasted Coconut...

I haven't tried them, but I wish they'd done the coconut with the chocolate cookies, to get a Mounds bar–like vibe going.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

One of his friends doesn't like coconut so he passed but feedback from the rest of the test subjects his friends on Toasted Coconut Oreos was very positive. My son noted in general that the cookie part of these limited run flavors seems to be softer than regular oreos. Its been a while since I've had a regular oreo but I think he might be right.

I had my first deep fried Oreo at an Autumn Festival this past weekend and it occurred to me that some of these limited flavors would probably be interesting with that treatment. (BTW, the DFO was good but I would rather just have a Funnel Cake)

Apparently, Cinnamon Bun Oreos are planned for the near future (January?) so we'll have to see what if any other flavors pop up in the stores until then.