• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies Redux

Jaymes

I usually don't do cookies at Christmas, it's been all candy. I have been wanting to give a caramel thumbprint cookie recipe a try for quite awhile so maybe I will finally give in a give it a whirl. Thanks for the link for Anna's goodies, lots of inspiration there!

Okay, that sounds really good. Can you point us to a recipe? :wub:

Absolutely, when I get home from work I will post the link for you.

• Like 1

I usually don't do cookies at Christmas, it's been all candy. I have been wanting to give a caramel thumbprint cookie recipe a try for quite awhile so maybe I will finally give in a give it a whirl. Thanks for the link for Anna's goodies, lots of inspiration there!

Okay, that sounds really good. Can you point us to a recipe? :wub:

Absolutely, when I get home from work I will post the link for you.

Actually I snuck in a search at work....don't tell :-) Anywho's this is the recipe I am going to try, but I am going to use scratch caramel, not the little candies. http://www.thekitchenismyplayground.com/2012/09/insanely-delicious-turtle-cookies.html

• Like 3

Actually I snuck in a search at work....don't tell :-) Anywho's this is the recipe I am going to try, but I am going to use scratch caramel, not the little candies. http://www.thekitchenismyplayground.com/2012/09/insanely-delicious-turtle-cookies.html

Thank you! Not sure I'll make it for Christmas, but I've pinned it and will try it at some point. Same as you, I'll make my own caramel.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd pull this back up to the first page since we're in the first week of December.

I decided against doing all bars, so I'm digging deep into my cookie files and making some really unique stuff. I've got sugar cutouts, baklava bars, jam splits, korova (world peace) cookies, lemon stars, snickerdoodle bars, Swedish creams, and Italian spritz cookies.

Has anyone started baking yet? I'm looking at next weekend, after I buy everything I need.

Edited by AnnieWilliams (log)

I would like to make some alfajores for Christmas. Never having made them before, I'm wondering how well they keep. Does the filling make the cookies crumbly after a day or two? Are they better filled just before eating? Should they be kept refrigerated? Thanks!

I would like to make some alfajores for Christmas. Never having made them before, I'm wondering how well they keep. Does the filling make the cookies crumbly after a day or two? Are they better filled just before eating? Should they be kept refrigerated? Thanks!

I've never made them, but Martha Stewart says "store in an airtight container for up to 2 days".

There was just a thread here about storing alfajores recently. Granted, the answer came from a manufacturer, but it has info regarding refrigeration:

Best way for long storage (up to 6 months) is the freezer. Just make sure to leave them on the shelf for enough hours for them to unfreeze completely. Refrigerator is not recommended at all.

They will also last on the shelf, you can safely consume them up to 10~15 days (not more than that, please) after expiry date.

wanna come with?

• 9 months later...

The latest 'Fruitcake' thread reminded me that it's time to start thinking about all of my holiday baking, including the fruitcake cookies that are always such a hit in our family.

And of course, need to get those rum balls sealed into their canister to begin ripening and mellowing.

Those two cookies are not optional in our house, but haven't finalized the list yet.

My father, 93, is the most popular fellow at the senior citizens' home where he lives (he calls it "Mortuary Manor") in part because I often send him treats to share with his table in the dining room (it's him and five women - his harem), so I want to be sure that this year's cookie selection doesn't disappoint.

Also, several of his tablemates and friends are fighting "the sugar," so I try to cut back on that in all my baking. I really love those Trader Joe's Kona Shortbread Cookies and think he would, too, but they're very sweet. Went online and found a copycat recipe that I think I could make, using a lot less sugar.

By any chance, have any of y'all ever tried to make anything like those cookies?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for starting the 2014 season Jaymes.  I did not bake last year but my 22 year old niece/god-daughter is here from Sydney and I promised her I would pass on the "baking secrets" so we will probably do baklava, amped up chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin spice bread, and Linzer Torte bars. Pulling the recipes out of my boxes and making sure I don't pack away the necessary pans.

• Like 1

I had been doing some prelim planning for this year's holiday baking but had to put everything on hold after ordering the extra supplies I usually need.

The cardiologist has told me I need to have my aortic stenosis fixed right away and has forbidden any "unnecessary" physical activity, including prolonged standing, lifting and in particular, vigorous stirring. 

So all the nuts/seeds/grains and etc., have been packed in Cambro containers and stored in the freezer (along with the various flours), the dried fruits vacuum packed and also packed into the big Cambro tubs. 

I had planned on Pecan crescents, fruitcake cookies, mincemeat cookies, oatmeal/cranberry/pecan, walnut sandies, orange creamsicle cookies, shortbread and peanut/peanut butter meltaways.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My Christmas list is short, Swedish ginger breads  ( thin biscuits/cookies and it takes two days to make)  Bond kakor  ( farmer's biscuits/ cookies)  and lussekakor ( saffron rolls).   We dont eat that much cookies/ biscuits at  Christmas.   It more about meat and candy over here.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I had been doing some prelim planning for this year's holiday baking but had to put everything on hold after ordering the extra supplies I usually need.

The cardiologist has told me I need to have my aortic stenosis fixed right away and has forbidden any "unnecessary" physical activity, including prolonged standing, lifting and in particular, vigorous stirring. 

So all the nuts/seeds/grains and etc., have been packed in Cambro containers and stored in the freezer (along with the various flours), the dried fruits vacuum packed and also packed into the big Cambro tubs. 

I had planned on Pecan crescents, fruitcake cookies, mincemeat cookies, oatmeal/cranberry/pecan, walnut sandies, orange creamsicle cookies, shortbread and peanut/peanut butter meltaways.

So sorry to hear this.  Take care of yourself!

But also tell me about those orange  creamsicle cookies...:)

• Like 3

So sorry to hear this.  Take care of yourself!

But also tell me about those orange  creamsicle cookies...:)

Yes, Andie, I agree with Sylvia...I hope all goes well with you.

And those Orange Creamsicle cookies sound delicious!

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I too am distressed to hear the news, Andie, and I hope the outcome is good. Creamsicle cookies and mincemeat cookies both sound unusual and interesting (hint, hint). Aside from that I admire the immense variety of what you'd normally do! I used to do meringue shells loaded with chocolate chips, spritz cookies of multiple flavors (an excuse to use the cookie press) and chocolate sandies. Alas, I seem to have reached a stage where my friends and I all want to make and admire the stuff but none can eat more than 2 or 3 cookies. I need to find more recipients to justify the operation.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I found the Orange Creamsicle Cookies on line two or three years ago and they live up to the hype.

RECIPE HERE

I used less sugar - substituted the sugar/stevia compound for the white sugar and the sugar/Splenda brown sugar baking mix for the brown because of my diabetes  and for me they turned out perfectly. 

I used a # 30 disher (ice cream scoop) as the 1 1/4 ounce measure is perfect for a medium-size cookie.  I did flatten the little mounds slightly with the back of the disher after the first batch which did not spread quite enough for my preference - not sure why but I a recommend a test pan with a few cookies before banging the whole batch into the oven.

I hope this helps, in my opinion these have the "flavor" of the holidays - that orange aroma during baking is wonderful.

Here is the recipe that I use with my homemade mincemeat............  This is a very old family recipe that I have "modernized" to use actual measures because a "fist-sized lump of butter"  doesn't take into account that some fists are smaller or larger than others.  I know my fist is much larger than my grandmother's. 

I also cut the size way down because the original recipe made about 200 cookies, 4 eggs, 2 1/2 pints of flour, etc.

Mincemeat Cookies

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup mincemeat
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F(moderate).
Cream butter and sugar together.
Add well beaten egg,
then mincemeat.
Mix thoroughly.
Sift dry ingredients together;
add to mincemeat mixture.
Mix well.
Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes or until done.

Yields 3 dozen.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Let me add my wishes for a speedy recovery, Andie, and hopes that you will soon be back to stirring, grinding, mincing with your previous vigor and aplomb. You are St. EGullet, after all. And we need you!

I'd be happy to offer to bake and send some of those orange dreamsicle cookies if you promise me that you wouldn't expect me actually to do it.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Oh, baby. I just looked at the creamsicle cookie recipe. I promise to make some for Christmas if not sooner. Thanks also for the mincemeat cookie recipe, Andie. I may also make that for Christmas, in honor of family past / passed. My mother used to make mincemeat pie for our grandfather, her father-in-law; what's left of that branch of the family still gets together for Christmas.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm not a great cookie maker because I either undercook them or burn them it seems.  My oven is not reliable either.  Which makes two of us.

Christmas cookies however always include Shortbreads handed down from a friend's Mother.  Best Shortbreads I ever tasted.  My friend used to make them every year after her Mother stopped making them, but now she won't do them and so the baking has passed on to me.  `She swears by making the entire process by hand...I don't think so, but don't tell her. :wink:

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oh Andie, I hope everything goes well and you're back to baking soon! 

I usually make the same things every year, but I'm focussing on trying new recipes so at this point I have absolutely no idea what I'll be doing. Jaymes, any chance you could share that fruitcake cookies recipe? 

wanna come with?

Oh Andie, I hope everything goes well and you're back to baking soon! 

I usually make the same things every year, but I'm focussing on trying new recipes so at this point I have absolutely no idea what I'll be doing. Jaymes, any chance you could share that fruitcake cookies recipe? 

Sure!  Posted it several years back on the first page of the original Christmas Cookies thread.

Scroll down (I think it's post #22):

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/13510-christmas-cookies/page-1?hl=+fruitcake +cookies

• Like 1

I have already gotten my sla... I mean  helpers for Christmas cookie bake of and it isnt even November. WOHO.

It could be because I promised them they could borrow  some of my  300 cookie cutter... could be closer to  400 now, I havent counted them in 5 years.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Andie, if I lived closer, I'd be one of the first on your doorstep to help out with the vigorous stirring and other hard labor associated with cookie baking. But instead, I'll just wish you an easy and uneventful recovery, and a fast return to the kitchen.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2