• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutout cookies

Tri2Cook

I know the topic has to exist here but I searched it every way I could think of and got zero results. Does anybody have a recipe for chocolate cutout cookies that will really solidly hold their shape? Edible is a requirement but holding shape is more important than them being a delicious cookie in this case.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

How about these: Flo's Chocolate Snaps?  @emmalish shared the recipe a few years ago.  I've never done them as cut outs - only sliced, but they are very firm and I'm pretty sure that you could roll the dough out.  This was originally a David Lebovitz recipe that she adapted, so you know they taste great.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

How about these: Flo's Chocolate Snaps?  @emmalish shared the recipe a few years ago.  I've never done them as cut outs - only sliced, but they are very firm and I'm pretty sure that you could roll the dough out.  This was originally a David Lebovitz recipe that she adapted, so you know they taste great.  

I'll check it out. Thanks! For this particular use, I really need some fairly small details to keep their shape. I know it's sacrilege here and I feel a little dirty even saying it but I really am willing to compromise flavor/texture for baking stability in this instance.

I should also add that chocolate isn't essential, just preferred. It's more for the color than flavor so I can work around that part.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you already have a favorite roll out sugar cookie recipe, just replace 1/6th of the flour with a good quality cocoa powder and et voila -  you have a chocolate sugar cookie dough.  At least, that's what we do at the shop.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

How about these?  As you can see, they really hold their shape - the lettering on them is TINY and still completely legible:

cooky.thumb.jpg.6f70c3a3a1a4597a3c3c07a54caf681c.jpg

It was done with a little stamp set.  

10 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

If you already have a favorite roll out sugar cookie recipe, just replace 1/6th of the flour with a good quality cocoa powder and et voila -  you have a chocolate sugar cookie dough.  At least, that's what we do at the shop.

Thanks! I think combining that recipe with the cocoa replacement suggestion might be perfect. 

• Like 1