• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Just when you think they're done fiddlin' with the recipe, they try something different:

"Oreo's Biggest Cookie Ever, The Most Stuf, Is Coming Soon"

See the article for the photo (scroll down the article).

No release date has been announced.

Gak.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

If you like mint and chocolate, the peppermint bark oreos are quite good.  Out of all the flavors they are throwing out there, this is the only one I've really enjoyed.  (I like mint oreos so this isn't that far off; the mint in these is not as overwhelming).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

If you like mint and chocolate, the peppermint bark oreos are quite good.  Out of all the flavors they are throwing out there, this is the only one I've really enjoyed.  (I like mint oreos so this isn't that far off; the mint in these is not as overwhelming).

Are these generally available wherever Oreos are sold, or are they specific to one store?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

21 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I wonder how they compare to Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe Joe's?  I purchased my annual box of them just the other day. I'll keep my eye out for the Oreo version.

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I wonder how they compare to Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe Joe's?  I purchased my annual box of them just the other day. I'll keep my eye out for the Oreo version.

I wondered that as well. Overall, I think I prefer the cookie on the Oreo to the Joe Joe cookie, but the Joe Joe creme flavors are usually marvelous.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

I found them in the local Market Basket grocery store, but they weren't with the other Oreos in the cookie aisle, they were on a merchandiser up front with other holiday stuff.  The package is small - smaller even than the usual specialty flavor packaging :( but I have to say I like these better than the mint ones ;)  At the rate I'm going, I'm going to need to buy several more packages in the next week!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A new flavor going on sale Jan. 2nd, 2019:

"Dark Chocolate Oreos"

This new treat sounds like a true chocolate lover's delight since the vanilla creme so deeply associated with the traditional Oreo will be given the heave-ho and replaced with — you guessed it — a rich chocolate version. The original crunchy chocolate cookie will still be same one fans know and love.

According to the company, Dark Chocolate Oreos are slated to hit store shelves nationwide on Jan. 2, 2019.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Carrot cake oreos spotted at Target today, I picked up the package and put it down. Said they had cream cheese frosting flavored filling. Willpower worked today. I was tempted.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 11/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, blue_dolphin said:

When they begin to stock these, Mr. Kim has standing orders to purchase boxes and boxes of them for co-workers who don't live near TJ's.  We currently have at least 4 boxes in the freezer.

5 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Carrot cake oreos spotted at Target today, I picked up the package and put it down. Said they had cream cheese frosting flavored filling. Willpower worked today. I was tempted.

I heard about them.  But I feel like they've done these before.  Can't find anything to back that up, so I guess I'm wrong.  But it sounds so familiar.  

I saw the carrot cake oreos at Wegmans earlier in the week, along with a "love" version that advertises a pink "sweet and tangy" creme, and a dark chocolate version. I can't imagine how they're getting the carrot flavor into the cookie, because I can't imagine a fake carrot flavor and I bet they don't spring for real carrots. I'm also not at all sure about sweet and tangy, because that could be code for fake tutti-frutti bubblegum flavor or worse. But I caved for the dark chocolate, which are tasty but not super-special IMHO.

I wish I could get the Oreo chocolate cookies with the strawberry filling from the Neapolitan Joe-Joes.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

16 hours ago, Shelby said:

😲

You HAVE to post a picture of one.  With a review.

Well its way too late for that :) I scarfed them down...and not because they are that good. They have the texture of those dry peanut butter cheese crackers that you get at the gas station. The flavor was sweet and salty, sort of umami meets a light sweetness. I would not get them again except for shock value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"5 New Oreo Flavors To Look Forward To In 2019"

We've heard about the Dark Chocolate flavor coming.

The article has photos and descriptions of all 5 of the new flavors:

Dark Chocolate

Carrot Cake
Love, Oreo
Easter Egg Oreo
The "Most Stuf" Oreo

Edited by Toliver
to kill the empty space in the post (log)
  • Like 2

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I'm sort of horrified by the notion of a carrot cake oreo. A carrot cake ought not be crunchy. 

Jessica tried them (she did a live video on FB).  She was underwhelmed.  She said that the cooky part tasted a bit like Biscoff cookies and the creamy part was just sweet and a tiny bit tangy.  She's bringing me some to taste.  I'll report if she remembers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened a package of the dark chocolate oreos.  

YUM!

I'm going to have to put these in the freezer so I don't scarf the whole (small) package at one sitting.

and I now realize I'm going to have to buy more of these. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, JeanneCake said:

I just opened a package of the dark chocolate oreos.  

YUM!

I'm going to have to put these in the freezer so I don't scarf the whole (small) package at one sitting.

and I now realize I'm going to have to buy more of these. 

I bought a package, too, this weekend. But I haven't opened them, yet. Thanks for the report!

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:28 AM, Toliver said:

I bought a package, too, this weekend. But I haven't opened them, yet. Thanks for the report!

I demolished them.

The dark chocolate cream inside somehow combined with the chocolate cookie outside for a really nice flavor.  I would buy these again in a heartbeat. :x

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

My  name is Jeanne and I have an oreo addiction -- limited specifically to the dark chocolate ones.  I bought six packages and have hidden them in the back of the freezer. But knowing they are there is the real problem...

• Haha 4