• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

IMG_8711.thumb.jpeg.6ecf0ce0a38c789762ce11c0c387ec9d.jpeg

Alubia blanca beans (pre-cooked), mixed with Parmigiano, roasted garlic and olive oil, topped with bread crumbs and more Parmigiano, baked for about 30 minutes and drizzled with MORE olive oil. This is a nice starter.

IMG_8713.thumb.jpeg.6feedaf6779eea7336591a5aca3a4d7f.jpeg

Penne all'Amatriciana.  Good Italian guanciale +  Pecorino Romano make this a standout. Sautéed green beans alongside.

• Like 21
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, scamhi said:

Bought online a 5lb package of guaciale. vacuum sealed many packages.

Biellese makes nice products...but 5 lbs. is a lot!!

(Check Supermarket Italy or Alma Gourmet next time).

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My parents have been with us for three days and will be leaving tomorrow morning, so tonight we had several rounds of Rummikub and …

SV Kalbstafelspitz (veal) …

682A7FF4-C71E-46E1-A41D-F3F9D6463530.thumb.jpeg.d9924774439923123a7109863139a2b1.jpeg

Snacks & “Italian” string beans …

0D6891EF-DB4A-4A6E-A208-EB92CF0BC9BF.thumb.jpeg.87693a68b4ecca7bb1ad7d893432eb8c.jpeg

Plus some whiskeys & Japanese snacks (and a long talk) for my father and me.

25357A9E-E7A1-434A-96E2-639F00DD76A0.thumb.jpeg.7e76fffb068bd62796abe8176cd03ccc.jpeg

A great evening 🤗

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

My parents have been with us for three days and will be leaving tomorrow morning, so tonight we had several rounds of Rummikub and …

SV Kalbstafelspitz (veal) …

682A7FF4-C71E-46E1-A41D-F3F9D6463530.thumb.jpeg.d9924774439923123a7109863139a2b1.jpeg

Snacks & “Italian” string beans …

0D6891EF-DB4A-4A6E-A208-EB92CF0BC9BF.thumb.jpeg.87693a68b4ecca7bb1ad7d893432eb8c.jpeg

Plus some whiskeys & Japanese snacks (and a long talk) for my father and me.

25357A9E-E7A1-434A-96E2-639F00DD76A0.thumb.jpeg.7e76fffb068bd62796abe8176cd03ccc.jpeg

A great evening 🤗

Tony's!  LOL what a coincidence.  I've never seen that brand before until I shopped at Misfits a couple days ago.  I couldn't resist and ordered a bar.

• Like 2

@MaryIsobel – we are so lucky in our city to have the variety and the quality of restaurants and food stores that we do.  In a metro area of just over 1million people we have almost every ethnic restaurant.  We have Beard nominated chefs, chefs who have competed on various cooking shows, a lady butcher who won “Chopped” and nationally recognized bakers.  It’s just a blessing.  That Holy Falafel place looks wonderful and that food is my usual go-to.  We are also lucky enough to have a wonderful assortment of Greek and middle eastern places here – from take out joints with a few rickety booths to fine dining. 

@rotuts – as soon as I saw that pork belly, I took out my phone and added that to my Trader Joe’s shopping list.  Fingers crossed mine is stocking it.

@Dejah – I assume the pictures that you posted were of YOUR egg rolls and not the nasty ones?  I wish I could get the wrappers you’ve used, but I’m betting that would be impossible.  I love how thin and bubbly they are. 

@kayb and @Tropicalsenior – re: goopy lasagna.  My lasagna is always overly juicy, too.  And I think I’ve figured out why.  I went to a pasta cooking class last weekend and one of the things that we made was a lasagna.  The layers were: pasta sheets, a thick ricotta/parm/egg sauce, shredded mozzarella, and a very thick meaty Bolognese.  My Bolognese is much saucier.  If yours is also, I’m guessing that this is what makes ours sloppier than some others, even after it sits for a bit.  I usually make extra sauce and serve it on the side at the table when I have lasagna and I think what I’ll do is continue to do that, but cook down some of it to actually go into the lasagna itself. 

@Norm Matthews – I saw that cake and went right to your blog for the recipe.  I can’t wait to make it!  Is it really just the height of a 9-inch cake pan? It looks higher than that. 

@gfweb – your pork schnitzel meal is gorgeous and one of my favorites.  And I just discovered that I can have pretty much all the red cabbage I want! 

Before Ash Wednesday (since we knew we were giving up eating in restaurants for Lent) we went to a Chinese place that Jessica and I had been to recently.  Mr. Kim hadn’t been there in years, so he ordered his usual “test meal” for his first visit to a Chinese restaurant – hot & sour soup and Moo shu pork.  It passed with flying colors.  His moo shu:

1-IMG_2289.jpg.5966366f79f3c259fc6ac283e78afe9f.jpg

Jessica had orange beef:

1-IMG_2290.jpg.802865665f681c857ccd3b830916d34f.jpg

I had beef chow fun, which is hard to find around here:

1-IMG_2288.jpg.e0da485d158fdd0e7062fa83abf01eaa.jpg

It was great – crisp vegetables, tender beef, and meltingly tender noodles.  SO much better than my attempts.  I think I try to add too many vegetables.  This was just onions, mung bean sprouts and some leafy green stuff. 

For dinner Sunday night, I had the other half of my cheesesteak leftover from lunch and some Progresso vegetable soup:

1-IMG_2316.jpg.566e7e07968553e387d6cedb74cc1368.jpg

Last night Mr. Kim picked up a pizza from Costco for dinner:

1-IMG_2321.jpg.616a8d736813d5749d59006f9eea5997.jpg

And I made a salad:

1-IMG_2322.thumb.jpg.b50d5e0dff4cda04d11b4c0cd36c31bb.jpg

We debated whether this went against our Lenten sacrifice and decided that it didn’t.  He went intending to buy an uncooked, refrigerated pizza for us to top and bake and they don’t sell them anymore.  This was still very inexpensive, so he felt like it was still in keeping. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Tony's!  LOL what a coincidence.  I've never seen that brand before until I shopped at Misfits a couple days ago.  I couldn't resist and ordered a bar.

Be careful - they have a special collaboration with Ben & Jerry’s, and their Strawberry Cheesecake is evil … just bought two more packs 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Be careful - they have a special collaboration with Ben & Jerry’s, and their Strawberry Cheesecake is evil … just bought two more packs 😱

THAT IS THE FLAVOR I BOUGHT!  

• Haha 4

0DE4BE52-58FE-440F-B164-5F1E835B861D.thumb.jpeg.c4a6d64e8732a0a2c3e119ca00b02510.jpeg

Not the prettiest - but very tasty sheppards pie.  Seasoning was a winner; tried to emulate something tortiere’esque; nutmeg, cinnamon, ground coriander and some chipotle powder.  Kids devoured it.  Served with chicken gravy and cochsalad (it’s what we call braised lettuce - well, kids can’t pronounce the throaty ‘ch’ so it turns into cocksalad….long standing family joke.  European roots to the name; the original, that is).

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dinner is in progress. We'll call it British Columbia Red Beans and Rice. British Columbia because I cannot find red beans here. I can buy them just a few miles away, in Lynden WA, but that involves a trip across the border and today is a snow day so making do. I used kidney beans, put to soak last night. Also had to use turkey keilbassa instead of andouille because that's what I had and even if I cared to venture out, andouille is not to be found within a 30 mile radius. Funny story on that; we have a great local butcher whom we love to patronize. They are great for custom cuts and I can get veal shanks there with a day or two's notice. They also smoke a lot of their own meat - their bacon is fabulous. A while ago I called them and asked if they had or would have andouille. The young woman who answered my call said "no, but we have chorizo and I think that's the same thing." Bless their hearts - they are great community supporters and hire a lot of local kids. Smoked ham hocks are increasingly difficult to find and again, snow day so using a few rashers of double smoked bacon from said butcher. Using some smoked paprika to up the smokey taste - I'll let you know...

• Like 5

Well, if you're going to bastardize, go big or go home. Along with above mentioned abominations, I also dumped a pound and a half of languishing spinach in at the end. It was suprisingly good. Lots of leftovers, not a bad thing. I am doing a half-hearted shop the pantry/shop the freezer this month and this meal met those parameters.

RB&R - 1.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Norm Matthews – I saw that cake and went right to your blog for the recipe.  I can’t wait to make it!  Is it really just the height of a 9-inch cake pan? It looks higher than that. 

I actually used a ten inch cake pan and it rose up at least an inch over the top.  I can't imagine how much taller it would have been in a nine inch pan.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I actually used a ten inch cake pan and it rose up at least an inch over the top.  I can't imagine how much taller it would have been in a nine inch pan.

Thanks so much, Norm.  I have a 9-inch silicone springform pan with a glass bottom.  I might try it in that.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:29 PM, MaryIsobel said:

Dinner is in progress. We'll call it British Columbia Red Beans and Rice. British Columbia because I cannot find red beans here. I can buy them just a few miles away, in Lynden WA, but that involves a trip across the border and today is a snow day so making do. I used kidney beans, put to soak last night. Also had to use turkey keilbassa instead of andouille because that's what I had and even if I cared to venture out, andouille is not to be found within a 30 mile radius. Funny story on that; we have a great local butcher whom we love to patronize. They are great for custom cuts and I can get veal shanks there with a day or two's notice. They also smoke a lot of their own meat - their bacon is fabulous. A while ago I called them and asked if they had or would have andouille. The young woman who answered my call said "no, but we have chorizo and I think that's the same thing." Bless their hearts - they are great community supporters and hire a lot of local kids. Smoked ham hocks are increasingly difficult to find and again, snow day so using a few rashers of double smoked bacon from said butcher. Using some smoked paprika to up the smokey taste - I'll let you know...

Here you go - small red beans not kidney beans - wait skip that - those are adzuki beans. 

Ok - let's try again - this is a brand I've been happy with before - here.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:29 PM, MaryIsobel said:

Dinner is in progress. We'll call it British Columbia Red Beans and Rice. British Columbia because I cannot find red beans here.

Not sure if these will work for you , but I order a small red bean that they call Chili Beans from Organic Matters.  They are in Nelson, BC.

I also order their black beans and pinto beans and herbs and spices from this company .

https://www.omfoods.com/collections/legume/products/legumes-organic-chili-beans-small-red

RoastTurkeyMarch1st2023.thumb.jpg.69fcbcab0cf4d190412e5b27788b74b9.jpg

I had a small turkey in the freezer so I decided to roast it tonight. 

RoastTurkeyDinnerMarch1st2023.thumb.jpg.e12147ff50c0266ac533fb71e9dda1e2.jpg

Served with our traditional sides.  

I still have the better part of a litre of turkey gravy leftover so I see hot turkey sandwiches in the near future. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Not sure if these will work for you , but I order a small red bean that they call Chili Beans from Organic Matters.  They are in Nelson, BC.

I also order their black beans and pinto beans and herbs and spices from this company .

https://www.omfoods.com/collections/legume/products/legumes-organic-chili-beans-small-red

RoastTurkeyMarch1st2023.thumb.jpg.69fcbcab0cf4d190412e5b27788b74b9.jpg

I had a small turkey in the freezer so I decided to roast it tonight. 

RoastTurkeyDinnerMarch1st2023.thumb.jpg.e12147ff50c0266ac533fb71e9dda1e2.jpg

Served with our traditional sides.  

I still have the better part of a litre of turkey gravy leftover so I see hot turkey sandwiches in the near future. 

Thanks for the source Ann

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

You all can debate beans but they will never ever be in my plate or in my mouth. They look like poop.  

I believe there is a therapy for that.

Back to red beans - I always thought red beans and rice were made with a bean or field pea like these...

https://ansonmills.com/products/41

Or

https://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/store/products/Carolina-Plantation-CowPeas.html

or

https://marshhenmill.com/collections/pantry/products/sea-island-peas

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I believe there is a therapy for that.

Back to red beans - I always thought red beans and rice were made with a bean or field pea like these...

https://ansonmills.com/products/41

Or

https://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/store/products/Carolina-Plantation-CowPeas.html

or

https://marshhenmill.com/collections/pantry/products/sea-island-peas

And then there's this:   https://www.camelliabrand.com/the-red-beans-parade/ 

Personally I'm ready to join the Dead Beans Parade.

Camellia beans does sell something they call "Small Red Beans" and associate them with Carribbean tradition. This is a way deeper rabbit hole than I originally thought. My guess is they are related to Domingo Rojo beans, but what do I know. So if you want to experiment making red beans and rice with small red beans instead of kidney beans there are clearly many options. Camellia Brand does seem to push their red kidney beans for RB&R.