Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#211 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

Dinner is not going well at all, my hands were shaking.  So I made Mississippi punch.  To which I almost added dashi rather than the lemon juice.

Just for fun I tried raspberry gum rather than plain sugar.  The raspberry gum did not add much.  I'm not sure the professor would approve, but I think he would have understood.

#212 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:52 AM

Zombie off the back of finishing the latest Ellroy. Beaucoup booze. Baaaaaaad rum juju.

• Rafa likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#213 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Our own Chriss "Hassinho" Hassouni's inventive and delicious pop-up drinkery The Green Zone just got glowing coverage in Thrillist and a shout-out in Eater. If you're in DC and like tasty things, go tonight. 

• Hassouni and Craig E like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#214 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

That's fantastic. Congrats to Chris!

• Hassouni likes this

#215 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

cPykqU1l.jpg

My Black and Bitter Heart

My Kahlua is probably not as classy as whatever "craft" coffee liqueurs are out there, but its syrupy sweetness (in the prescribed small doses) works quite well for me in bitter drinks like this (or the somewhat similar Bombardier). This was complex, bittersweet, and tasty.

Edited by Craig E, 03 October 2014 - 06:00 PM.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#216 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

Our own Chriss "Hassinho" Hassouni's inventive and delicious pop-up drinkery The Green Zone just got glowing coverage in Thrillist and a shout-out in Eater. If you're in DC and like tasty things, go tonight. 

That's fantastic. Congrats to Chris!

Thank you both! Tonight was about twice as busy as any previous pop-uppery. Funny how some well-placed mentions online can change things...

Edited by Hassouni, 04 October 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#217 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Many autumns I have lived in Jersey.  Two I had tonight.

#218 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:34 AM

Dante's Requiem. Rit for the rye. Possibly need to cut down on the Benedictine. Even going HARD with the Fernet, the Benedictine pulls its way to the top of the pile like fucking Bailey's. A socially acceptable Bailey's, to be sure, but still très passive aggressive. Not the kind of Bailey's that likes to expose itself to unsuspecting members of the public and dance grotesquely. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#219 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Not the kind of Bailey's that likes to expose itself to unsuspecting members of the public and dance grotesquely. 

Hey! I met him recently:

Creepy pantless guy in the woods, shaking his ass in "sexy" underwear. Told him to put his pants back on. Ignored me, so I called cops. Walked a woman out of the woods and met the cops. Walked around with cops for a while. Gave up and finished my walk, but when I emerged from the woods, he was in handcuffs. No, not "sexy" handcuffs.

Edited by EvergreenDan, 07 October 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#220 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Dante's Requiem. Rit for the rye. Possibly need to cut down on the Benedictine. Even going HARD with the Fernet, the Benedictine pulls its way to the top of the pile like fucking Bailey's. A socially acceptable Bailey's, to be sure, but still très passive aggressive. Not the kind of Bailey's that likes to expose itself to unsuspecting members of the public and dance grotesquely. 

I had more or less the same issue with the inspiration cocktail, the Purgatory (which does not benefit from the addition of Fernet).

Oh and I am not sure what to say about Dan's post, other than I feel deeply perturbed and am starting to have horror visions. Need a drink quick, but not this kind obviously.

#221 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Since Dan's 'friend' was making a donkey of himself, I propose an Eeyore's Requiem.  Which is a very fine drink I haven't made recently, but should.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#222 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Absentmindedly I poured a full ounce of Cointreau into tonight's mai tai.  I compensated.  I might have been better served to dump the whole thing in the sink and start over, as it has taken me over an hour to get the balance close to right.

Edit:  fortunately La Favorite bottles are not hard to open.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 07 October 2014 - 09:47 PM.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#223 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:27 AM

Zombie season. Dictador, which is from the grand land of wherever, in favour of the Dem. What a grand drink.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#224 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

Nikka Coffey Grain and Benromach 10 at the Passenger, plus a few cocktails. Excellent whiskies.

Edited by Hassouni, 08 October 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#225 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Nikka Coffey Grain and Benromach 10 at the Passenger, plus a few cocktails. Excellent whiskies.

Indeed! I particularly like the Nikka Coffey Grain. Picked up the Nikka Coffey Malt on my way through Schiphol recently and looking forward to a SBS with the Nikka Coffey Grain.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#226 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

SBS?

#227 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

SBS?

Side by side.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#228 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

d'oh!

#229 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

No day drinking, just some daydreaming while looking at Dandelyan's beautiful cocktail menu (it's the new bar from the White Lyan team, at the Mondrian hotel in London). A lot of cool ideas. The Evil Manhattan and its botanical beer "vermouth" has me particularly intrigued.

There is a nice night/day rich/light decision matrix at the end that's a bit reminiscent of Pouring Ribbons'.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 15 October 2014 - 03:35 PM.

• Craig E likes this

#230 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

Dammit. I foolishly assumed I'd be one of the first to get a beer "vermouth" on a menu.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#231 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

Délit de Fuite, created by our very own Plantes Verdes.  Gin (mine), Cynar, Cocchi Americano, Campari, our newly-acquired Orange Cream Citrate and a strip of orange zest, but perhaps not looking its best as I'd already had a couple of slurps before I thought to take the photo:

Délit.jpg

Yum!  Definite Negroni family resemblance, which is rarely a bad thing.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#232 pto

pto
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted Today, 04:15 AM

2 oz Wild Turkey 86.8

1/4 oz Guanche Arhucas Honey Rum

1 small barspoon demerara sugar

2 dashs TBT chocolate bitters

orange peel'