Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#211 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 931 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

Last night I had dueling Pink Gins with the newly acquired Fords and Tanqueray Old Tom. The latter was the clear winner. I expected the sweetness of the Tanq, but it has a layer of spice that is spectacular. There's a different sort of sweetness altogether to the Fords, something that reminded me of ginger or galangal. I'm not going to be sipping this one, as it's rather one dimensional, but looking forward to mixing with it.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#212 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

For me at the moment, a Balaklava special #1 (Jade 1901/Combier).  A nice change from all the recent rum.

#213 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,511 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Dinner is not going well at all, my hands were shaking.  So I made Mississippi punch.  To which I almost added dashi rather than the lemon juice.

Just for fun I tried raspberry gum rather than plain sugar.  The raspberry gum did not add much.  I'm not sure the professor would approve, but I think he would have understood.