• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

Husband picked up this chopping devise at a flea market.   Neither the seller nor he had a clue what it was but husband was sure it was worth more than $10.     Its use is very specific.

1335099594_Chocolatechopper.jpeg.4316d079a0cf4886c0e66848ec61db21.jpeg

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 3

eGullet member #80.

One of my favorite finds.   Husband swears he found it.    Memory is a fickle companion.

46142226_ScreenShot2021-08-27at9_14_10AM.png.a1fb4ffe9b08bd8be1226be02552bd11.png

Actually, I was looking for one.   He hadn't clue what it was, neither did the seller, hence my ability to scoop it up at a comfortable price. 

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

One of my favorite finds.   Husband swears he found it.    Memory is a fickle companion.

46142226_ScreenShot2021-08-27at9_14_10AM.png.a1fb4ffe9b08bd8be1226be02552bd11.png

Actually, I was looking for one.   He hadn't clue what it was, neither did the seller, hence my ability to scoop it up at a comfortable price. 

State Fair funnel cake machine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is very close.   It is a 19thC French fireplace basting tool.   one of its several names, a coqueron.   One put chopped fat in the cup and held it in the fire until the fat melted and then wafted it over a roasting chunk of meat, melted fat dripping out the bottom hole.   In the Landes department, they used ham fat for a particular flavor.

In the country, we often cook in the fireplace in winter.    I sought and bought this to use.   But husband became so enamored of it that he refuses to use it as it was intended.    So now, it's a kitchen artifact.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 8

eGullet member #80.