• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

To be honest, I just bought it out of amusement value. It was very cheap. However, it doesn't do anything I can't do with the same knife I still need to cut the mango in half in the first place. It just adds another unnecessary tool to be washed.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I can't see that it would have much value here because our mangoes very in size from 8 oz to almost a kilo. One would be always looking for a mango to fit the tool.

Same here. My knife can deal happily with any mango, no matter the size.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

To be honest, I just bought it out of amusement value. 

Yet I cannot help but admire the mind that addressed all the steps.

Edited by Anna N
To finish my thought (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 7 months later...

Saw this today and thought how idiotic, so I bought it. About 75 cents US.

IMG_20240115_171000.thumb.jpg.7fce2348b22e9b94e6bc47d07db1defc.jpg

A combined knife and fork. Of course, if the knife were to be anywhere near able to cut anything, it would be a useless handle for a fork. Also, the design renders both tools impractical at best. Difficult to hold and your hand will be slathered in food.

What sort of idiot did they think would buy one? Oh! Wait a minute!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Saw this today and thought how idiotic, so I bought it. About 75 cents US.

IMG_20240115_171000.thumb.jpg.7fce2348b22e9b94e6bc47d07db1defc.jpg

A combined knife and fork. Of course, if the knife were to be anywhere near able to cut anything, it would be a useless handle for a fork. Also, the design renders both tools impractical at best. Difficult to hold and your hand will be slathered in food.

What sort of idiot did they think would buy one? Oh! Wait a minute!

Buy a few for serving spaghetti dinner on April 1st.

dcarch😆

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Also, the design renders both tools impractical at best.

But that's just it, the design! Look at those sculptural lines. Something with that much movement and flow is not supposed to be practical. It is there to be admired not used. Don't be such a Palestinian or philistine or something.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

But that's just it, the design! Look at those sculptural lines. Something with that much movement and flow is not supposed to be practical. It is there to be admired not used. Don't be such a Palestinian or philistine or something.

I didn't buy it in an art gallery. Unless they have taken to disguising art galleries as supermarkets complete with kitchen utensils aisles complete with regular forks and knives. And checkout lanes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Actually I think that is a fork designed for people with limited hand mobilities.

dcarch

If that knife with sharp enough to be called a knife they would definitely have limited Mobility after using it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Actually I think that is a fork designed for people with limited hand mobilities.

dcarch

No. it isn't. The packaging ( which I have since binned) described it exactly as I did, except in Chinese. 

On 1/15/2024 at 7:02 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

Yes, you got it. And It75 years from now when everybody else has throwing theirs away, he can put it on eBay and make a fortune.

It would be more valuable with it's companion piece, the KNOON

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...