• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Home Kitchens

liuzhou

China manufactures by far the majority of the world’s microwaves, but while it is true that many people in mainland China have them, very few are actually used for cooking. They are mostly seen as tools to reheat the last meal’s leftovers. Of all those microwaves, those capable of baking (convection microwaves) are a small percentage and three to five times more expensive. Even those who do own such things seldom bake in them and they can’t bake everything.

There was a brief fashion about eight years ago for baking, but most people were using toaster ovens to bake Western style cakes. Nothing Chinese. Several shops opened selling the appropriate ingredients. 90% of them lasted a year or two at most. People moved on the next craze. The bookshops had a few Western style bakery cookbooks, but no longer.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Having been asked about the kitchen in my new apartment in China which I mentioned in the Dinner 2024 topic and not wanting to derail that topic, I have started this new one.

IMG_20240118_194931.thumb.jpg.9ae89dd14226a0a7217867de592fe905.jpg

This is how I found it on my arrival.

It has long intrigued me that despite the importance most Chinese people place upon their food culture, their favourite topic of conversation (along with money), their domestic kitchens seem almost an afterthought.

This one is, shall I say, compact. It is however, larger than the one I just left. I loathed that kitchen.

So, to answer some of your questions.

@dcarch asked

That is a serious exhaust hood above the stove for two burners, or is that also a microwave inside there? It that also an exhaust fan on the window wall?

Looks like a very functional and bright kitchen. I assume the refrigerator is behind you where the picture was taken.

That is a standard exhaust hood in these parts. Stir frying requires powerful hoods. No microwaves involved. Yes, the hood is supplemented by an exhaust fan.

The fridge is, as almost all fridges are here, located in the sitting room and by the front door

IMG_20240119_090855.thumb.jpg.3e5c7bdd39bd097cba49dc5da7e08600.jpg

@Katie Meadow asked

Looks very nice and serviceable. Great to have big windows over the sink and counter. Just curious, it seems to me that your last move wasn't very long ago, but my sense of time is getting less reliable. And I've been living in the same house since 1986, so moving is something I barely remember how to do. Why did you move again? And so happy you are back to cooking!

Yes, I too like the windows but the view isn't very inspiring.

IMG_20240119_091710.thumb.jpg.266892619c132db23f52e9e3e5adaea0.jpg

I last moved three years ago almost to the day and, at that time, my health was beginning to go awry, leading me to make a bad decision. I hated almost everything about the dump from day one but was tied into a three year contract. I am delighted to have moved, despite the inevitable stress. 

Right now, I have to get all these boxes emptied and the contents put in their appropriate places. The kitchen is the priority, of course. I'll post another photo when it is to my liking. Right now, it looks like a war zone.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

This one is, shall I say, compact. It is however, larger than the one I just left. I loathed that kitchen.

The new kitchen looks pretty serviceable. It looks like there is quite a bit of counter space compared to some places that I have known and loathed.  🙂

It does look like a nice big window, even if the view isn't the best. it's SO nice to have natural light! 

I always wondered about your kitchen but you never really seemed to talk about it. What was it that you loathed so much about the previous one? 

Will you make any modifications to the new kitchen? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Having been asked about the kitchen in my new apartment in China which I mentioned in the Dinner 2024 topic and not wanting to derail that topic, I have started this new one.

IMG_20240118_194931.thumb.jpg.9ae89dd14226a0a7217867de592fe905.jpg

This is how I found it on my arrival.

It has long intrigued me that despite the importance most Chinese people place upon their food culture, their favourite topic of conversation (along with money), their domestic kitchens seem almost an afterthought.

So, to answer some of your questions.

@dcarch asked

That is a serious exhaust hood above the stove for two burners, or is that also a microwave inside there? It that also an exhaust fan on the window wall?

Looks like a very functional and bright kitchen. I assume the refrigerator is behind you where the picture was taken.

That is a standard exhaust hood in these parts. Stir requires powerful hoods. No microwaves involved.

The fridge is, as almost all fridges are here, located in the sitting room and by the front door

IMG_20240119_090855.thumb.jpg.3e5c7bdd39bd097cba49dc5da7e08600.jpg

HaHa! I found a mistake in your interior decorating.

When I was in my Chinese friend's home, I asked what was a decoration on her front door. She said it was a symbol for prosperity,  but it is the tradition for it to be hung upside-down. Yours is right-side up.

dcarch 😁

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

HaHa! I found a mistake in your interior decorating.

When I was in my Chinese friend's home, I asked what was a decoration on her front door. She said it was a symbol for prosperity,  but it is the tradition for it to be hung upside-down. Yours is right-side up.

dcarch 😁

No mistake. That decoration is on the fridge. Only the one on the outside of the front door is traditionally hung upside down. It is dying custom though. Most are right way up now.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I always wondered about your kitchen but you never really seemed to talk about it. What was it that you loathed so much about the previous one? 

Will you make any modifications to the new kitchen? 

The old one was tiny. Zero storage. Dark and miserable. The toilet was bigger! 

I don't think I'll modify anything. Maybe something will become apparent as I use it more.

One thing I forgot to mention. It has numerous power points, something most Chinese kitchens sorely lack. The old place only had one and it was temperamental.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

@FauxPas

Another thing, the worst thing, about the old kitchen was that I didn't realise until I moved in that the kitchen had no water supply. There was a tap* but it was seized closed. Not so uncommon in China. Plumbing is not their forte. I attempted to have it repaired but was told the whole system needed replacing. I wasn't willing to foot the bill for making the rental more lucrative for the owner.

The new place has both hot and cold water on demand. Hot water is still unusual in domestic kitchens other than the newest. My country home had no hot water anywhere until I had it installed. Neighbours visited to see this miracle.

* Sorry, I can't bring myself to use the American term, f*** it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Is dishwasher a common thing?

dcarch

Almost unheard of. The ony one I've ever seen in China in the 28 years I've been here belongs to a Chinese returnee after some time in America, with her American husband and his wallet in tow.

None of the white goods stores have dishwashers. I guess they imported it from Hong Kong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Another thing, the worst thing, about the old kitchen was that I didn't realise until I moved in that the kitchen had no water supply.

Wow, that's a long list of shortfalls for that old kitchen. Dark, no storage, small, no water and a dicey and limited electric supply. No wonder you loathed it! 

But now you have a much nicer space to work in, it must feel good! 

One other question - what is the set-up on the narrow counter, there's something there at the back on the left of the first photo. Maybe it should be obvious, but I can't figure it out.  

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Almost unheard of. The ony one I've ever seen in China in the 28 years I've been here belongs to a Chinese returnee after some time in America, with her American husband and his wallet in tow.

None of the white goods stores have dishwashers. I guess they imported it from Hong Kong.

They could have brought it back with them from the US with a transformer.  Lots of people moving overseas from the US bring their appliances with them.

9 hours ago, FauxPas said:

One other question - what is the set-up on the narrow counter, there's something there at the back on the left of the first photo. Maybe it should be obvious, but I can't figure it out.  

What you're seeing there is this cutting board.

IMG_20240120_092144.thumb.jpg.2b1a97088d667282ee8b0b2270dceec1.jpg

In the picture you mention, it's standing on its edge in a rack. Here's an enlargement.

Screenshot_20240120_070337_com.huawei.photos.thumb.jpg.c33a56cc9dfb8e785ef8f9f280802f71.jpg

with a couple other tool racks.

These chopping boards, slices of trees, are the norm here. There are now two as I brought my own.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

They could have brought it back with them from the US with a transformer.  Lots of people moving overseas from the US bring their appliances with them.

Could have. Next I time I see them, I'll ask.

Out of curiosity, I searched Taobao, China's largest online shopping portal and only found one source for dishwashers - in Shanghai.

It just doesn't seem to be something people are interested in. Also, the usual small size of Chinese kitchens is not supportive.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me, a strange thing to me looking at the picture above, the counter on the window side, what's under the counter? No drawers?

How can a kitchen function without drawers? I think something interesting is under the counter behind those door looking panels.🤫?

dcarch 

Edited by dcarch (log)

23 minutes ago, dcarch said:

It just occurred to me, a strange thing to me looking at the picture above, the counter on the window side, what's under the counter? No drawers?

How can a kitchen function without drawers? I think something interesting is under the counter behind those door looking panels.🤫?

I'm not sure what I'd want to put in drawers. I don't recall ever seeing drawers in Chinese kitchens. 

Underneath the counter are regular cupboards apart from that under the sink which holds the drainage system, just like everywhere else. It still has space for storing cleaning stuff etc. And a fire extinguisher.

One side of the cupboards under the stove holds the gas meters and again has additional storage space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not sure what I'd want to put in drawers. I don't recall ever seeing drawers in Chinese kitchens. 

I had the unfortunate and wild (to me) experience of moving into an apartment with NO DRAWERS in the kitchen some years back. This was in northern Minnesota, you understand, so a very different culinary perspective. I had to set up several baskets and bins that sat atop the kitchen counter to accommodate the flatware, napkins and cooking utensils (spatulas, stirring spoons, knives, etc.) that I felt I needed. If you don't use drawers, where do you keep those things? Do you really use so much fewer than we do? Please show where you store them, and what they are. I may have to reassess my kitchen.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 1/20/2024 at 12:51 PM, Smithy said:

I had the unfortunate and wild (to me) experience of moving into an apartment with NO DRAWERS in the kitchen some years back. This was in northern Minnesota, you understand, so a very different culinary perspective. I had to set up several baskets and bins that sat atop the kitchen counter to accommodate the flatware, napkins and cooking utensils (spatulas, stirring spoons, knives, etc.) that I felt I needed. If you don't use drawers, where do you keep those things? Do you really use so much fewer than we do? Please show where you store them, and what they are. I may have to reassess my kitchen.

I anticipated someone asking this.

First, I must say my kitchen and the average Chinese family's kitchen probably differ. I cook western food about 25% of the time which my neighbours don't. Different cuisines; different techniques; different tools.

For example, the most used tools, maybe the only tools in a Chinese kitchen are a wok scoop/spatula, a ladle and a strainer which normally hang on the wall beside the burner unit. Mine hang there, too for easy access, but my collection of 'essentials' is wider. Here is my kitchen wall in the rental before last.

IMG_20240120_142556.thumb.jpg.d03f10d9e9c637863540c1f025595111.jpg

The strainer on the left, the wok scoop on the right and the ladle right of centre would be enough for my neighbours. Most wouldn't even know what the others are for, especially the microplane. One tool is missing, I notice. My fish descaler. Must have been a fish night.

Smaller items usually sit on countertops in containers like this.

IMG_20240120_142951.thumb.jpg.b73b426db9024f2495a7138b1cab0ce8.jpg

This one is about 8 inches tall. It usually contains large spoons, a meat mallet, poultry shears etc. I also have a smaller one for teaspoons etc.

I have three of the larger ones, but my neighbours probably just the one. I'm a bit of a gadget addict.

Chopsticks live in dedicated boxes, either wall mounted or free-standing.

mmexportebeaa4d5462b6689bb19d83e3f548632_1705732543356.jpeg.099931f7ba092d86dc2f676f57460352.jpeg

Image from online shopping site, Taobao

Knives and one of my sharpening steels are in a couple of knife blocks like this. The other steel is hanging on the wall.

mmexport8bfa69729fcc407765d9d92c29b87db6_1705735244291.jpeg.4aaabf339e5aa73ba686c33fe0b9b472.jpeg

Image from online shopping site, Taobao

OK. I'm a kitchen knife fetishist, too. My neighbours make do with a cleaver and maybe a paring knife.

I like this system My tools are always to hand* and I don't need to go rummaging in drawers when I need something.

At the same time, I see some advantages to drawers. I guess it's what get used to that matters in the end.

* They aren't to hand at the moment. Emptying boxes with a (healing) broken back is a slow process. A friend is coming tomorrow to help.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your new kitchen is beautiful. It's obvious already how much you are enjoying it. I don't know how you lived 3 years without water. If I were you I would have been living on take out the whole time.

How typical is this kitchen? Is it upper class, middle class?

I can't imagine how hard it must be moving house with a broken, though healing, back. How were you even able to go apartment hunting.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How typical is this kitchen? Is it upper class, middle class?

I remember traveling to Hongkong, and Europe, size-wise, this kitchen is middle -upper class. Here in the US, of course that kitchen is considered very compact, if you include a refrigerator, a dishwasher, and a 4-burner stove/oven.

Eat-in kitchens? No such thing.

That's why entertaining at home is not a very often thing in other countries.

dcarch

Living without water in the kitchen was fraught, yes. There was water in the adjacent bathroom (including hot water for the shower if I remembered to turn on the heater 20 minutes before needing it.) Of course, that raised hygiene issues.

I was living on delivery for the last year, but that was more to do with my back than anything else.

I'd describe the kitchen (and the whole apartment) as middle to upper middle class.

I have seen some worse kitchens than my waterless example. Some places don't even have anything we'd recognise as a kitchen. I saw one young couple cooking every day on their balcony in the rain.

Also, I posted before this picture of an old woman cooking her lunch over a bucket of burning firewood in a sort of outhouse in the countryside.

I do love the new place so far, especially the kitchen and will love it more when I get all these boxes unpacked.

mmexport73773be6468bde2794093dd06ab2d4bb_1705753506617.jpeg.d51684b3066df5eb146dd0a19d69b2a7.jpeg

Apartment hunting wasn't so bad. First, I had an excellent property agent who actually listened to my requirements and didn't waste my time or energy viewing inappropriate choices. This was the second place I saw on the same day,

minutes apart as she had arranged for my convenience.

Also we have an excellent Uber-like ride hire service here to take me to the sites and back. (Actual Uber got kicked out of China for some alleged unethical practices.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dcarch said:

Eat-in kitchens? No such thing.

That's why entertaining at home is not a very often thing in other countries.

I don't agree that entertaining guests at home is because of the kitchens. If there is a connection, it's the other way round.

The main reason for not entertaining non-family members at home in Asia is that it is considered inhospitable and you're being stingy and unwilling to spend money on your guests, instead cooking at home to save expense.

As for your comments on Europe, in my experience, entertaining at home is not uncommon in most places.

• Like 1

@liuzhou, how long is your lease on this flat/apartment? Are you restricted from doing any changes to the kitchen or can you do things like add extra storage hooks and small racks to the walls, for example? 

Your fridge looks interesting to me. I'm not sure if there are 3 separate storage areas and 3 doors? If so, is it two freezer and one fridge or something else? 

Also, that looks like fabulous storage to the left of the fridge. How will you use it? Will that be for kitchen items or is that for clothing or just flexible space with shelving, etc? 

Edited to add: One of the most important questions to me about any kitchen is where to store spices, ha. How do you (or how will you) store yours? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@liuzhou, how long is your lease on this flat/apartment? Are you restricted from doing any changes to the kitchen or can you do things like add extra storage hooks and small racks to the walls, for example? 

Your fridge looks interesting to me. I'm not sure if there are 3 separate storage areas and 3 doors? If so, is it two freezer and one fridge or something else? 

Also, that looks like fabulous storage to the left of the fridge. How will you use it? Will that be for kitchen items or is that for clothing or just flexible space with shelving, etc? 

Edited to add: One of the most important questions to me about any kitchen is where to store spices, ha. How do you (or how will you) store yours? 

I have an annual lease on this apartment. That is the norm in China.The last place's three year deal was highly unusual. Normally, leases can be renewed. I renewed one annual lease 17 years until the landlord's business ran into trouble and had to sell my home to raise funds.

There are no specific conditions regarding alterations in the lease, not that I would consider doing anything major without consulting the owner as a basic courtesy.

Adding hooks or small racks wouldn't be a problem.

The fridge is strange. Top is a regular refrigerator, then two freezer compartments. I don't recall seeing that arrangement before.

IMG_20240121_104523.thumb.jpg.0c4724668610b0c43947548c1b117e5b.jpg

The storage units to the left are what I would call multi - functional.

IMG_20240121_104753.thumb.jpg.34b5c17e95325f292064969b38a3f39f.jpg

The left and right doors open to what could be used as wardrobes, whereas the centre section is shelves and drawers.

IMG_20240121_105050.thumb.jpg.65ade62a0fdd97b6225ddfa265ec0aab.jpg

I won't be using any as wardrobes - the three bedrooms all have fully fitted wardrobes and other storage space. The unit extends to the left to house a television and more low level shelves and drawers.

7IMG_20240121_104759.thumb.jpg.449dcffe7fa4bfcaef21543800c74821.jpg

At the moment, the right hand section nearest to the fridge and the kitchen is holding dried food goods, cans etc. This may change. As you can see, unpacking is still a work in progress.

Few spices are regularly used in Chinese cuisine and are sold in tiny quantities, so don't really present a storage problem. I have some star anise, fennel seeds, black cardamom and cassia bark all in small recycled honey jars.The one exception is coriander seeds, which the Chinese don't use, but I love. They are somewhere in one of those boxes in a jar like this.

IMG_20240121_110931.thumb.jpg.9341ff13fce8fba35f13b8b73f494e56.jpg

I can only buy them in 500 gram bags imported from Pakistan. One bag worth fits in that jar. 

I'll get there eventually.

IMG_20240121_105020.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Few spices are regularly used in Chinese cuisine and are sold in tiny quantities, so don't really present a storage problem.

Maybe I should have asked about where you will keep your soy sauces, cooking wine, flavoured oils, etc?