• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Bread at Home"

I opened the kitchen Manual and it opened at page 78, to a recipe for White Sandwich bread which calls for osmotolerant yeast.  So far, I have not been able to find a source for it.  At least, not by that name.  Advice?

Edited to add:  to be fair, it does state that you can use instant yeast but increase the final proofing time by 20 - 30 minutes.  I'd still like to know where to buy osnotolerant yeast.

Edited by ElsieD
Added second paragraph (log)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I opened the kitchen Manual and it opened at page 78, to a recipe for White Sandwich bread which calls for osmotolerant yeast.  So far, I have not been able to find a source for it.  At least, not by that name.  Advice?

Edited to add:  to be fair, it does state that you can use instant yeast but increase the final proofing time by 20 - 30 minutes.  I'd still like to know where to buy osnotolerant yeast.

Here, for example...

https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/saf-gold-instant-yeast

SAF yeast is available almost everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

does the book 

have a reference for ' Supplies ?'

ie  where to get ?

looks like my batteries will be here

Friday.  

MB@Home is hitching a ride.

• Thanks 1

@JoNorvelleWalker and @rotuts KAF does not ship to Canada, so I looked up supplies in the book and it told me that SAF Gold is osmotolerant.  I have ordered it from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.  Had to order a pound - that'll keep me going for a while!

I am very, very impressed with this publication and I've barely cracked it open.  It's a keeper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Ive kept SAF in an airtight container

in the refrigerator for quite some tome.

a mayo jar w some extra plastic wrap around the lid 

so it stayes air tight.

its gets very humid here , so I used the refrige.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@JoNorvelleWalker and @rotuts KAF does not ship to Canada, so I looked up supplies in the book and it told me that SAF Gold is osmotolerant.  I have ordered it from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.  Had to order a pound - that'll keep me going for a while!

I am very, very impressed with this publication and I've barely cracked it open.  It's a keeper.

I buy instant yeast by the pound.  I store the opened packages in a sealed jar in the freezer door.  Unopened, to my experience, the SAF yeast packages last forever at room temperature.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

0)I currently I keep a bit of yeast in the refrigerator door.  The rest I keep in a canning jar in the freezer.  Yeast arrives Friday.  My biggest dilemma will be deciding what to make first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my batteries arrived with MB@Home.

Im very pleased with it .

a home baker should keep this tome in mind.

• Like 2

I just received an e-mail from the Modernist people with an invitation to sign up for their bread classes.  The e-mail goes on to state that you don't need to own the books to sign up for the classes.

• Like 2

I also got the email.  I signed up for their emails but haven't purchased the book....yet!

Edited to add that the email also trumpets:  Modernist Bread at Home is on sale now!  I clicked through to learn that "on sale" doesn't mean there's a price break, it just means it's now being sold! 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

I decided that the first recipe I'd tackle is for hamburger buns but I will shape and bake them as hot dog buns.  How crucial is the malt syrup?  I don't have any, but I do have diastatic malt powder, can I use that instead?  If yes, what would the substitution  ratio be?  The recipe calls for 2 grams of the syrup.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed typo (log)

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I decided that the first recipe I'd tackle is for hamburger buns but I will shape and bake them as hot dog buns.  How crucial is the malt syrup?  I don't have any, but I do have diastatic malt powder, can I use that instead?  If yes, what would the substitution  ratio be?  The recipe calls for 2 grams of the syrup.

In her bagel book, Cathy Barrow says it’s OK to sub equal volumes non-diastatic malt powder for malt syrup. She does not recommend using diastatic malt powder but says honey, cane syrup, maple syrup or golden syrup can be used. 

2 g is a very small amount. A tablespoon of malt syrup weighs 21 g so 2 g would be around 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Missing word (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just on Amazon.com and saw that the price of MB@H has dropped to $126.  I bought my copy get yours now.

ETA: Delivery is today before 5PM.

Edited by dans (log)
  • Like 3

feeling a little ornery 

after all , Ive had the book

in hand , for only 5 days

I called Amazon

888 280 4331

and they were goi9ng to email me a shipping label and Id send the book back

and re order.  

I sugeested the book was very heavy , and energy costs etc and asked

the agent to check w a supervisor.

they did , and got the 14 $$ back on my CC.

they were very pleasant about it.

but you do have to use the Green Card.

politely.

• Like 4

For anyone curious about what the Modernist Cuisine online course is going to cover, here's an overview:

• Getting Started with Bread Basics—March 2024
  • Navigating Bread Making from Start to Finish—April 2024
  • Fitting Bread into Busy Schedules—May 2024
  • The Role of Different Bread Ingredients—June 2024
  • How to Start a Levain and Keep It Alive—July 2024
  • Mixing and Gluten Development—August 2024
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made hot dog buns as my first recipe from this book.  As you can see, my shaping skills leave something to be desired.  John has had two of the buns and rated them excellent.  That, from my perspective is the good news.  On the not-so-good side, I found the recipe a bit on the fussy side.  I had a look at Peter Reinhart's recipe and it is more streamlined.  I need to make a few more recipes from it before I decide whether or not to keep it.

20240315_122526.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone who signed up for the Modernist Bread At Home course started receiving the course? I signed up and received a confirmation email but haven’t received any other emails. Wondering when they will start….

23 minutes ago, curls said:

Has anyone who signed up for the Modernist Bread At Home course started receiving the course? I signed up and received a confirmation email but haven’t received any other emails. Wondering when they will start….

Yes, I've been getting them.  Did you get the email titled, "Introducing the Modernist Bread School" on March 11?

It contained a link to sign up for course 1, down at the bottom.  Once I clicked through and signed up, I received another email titled, "Confirm Your Subscription."  Check your spam/junk folder if you didn't get it after signing up. Once I clicked through on that one, I began receiving the course emails.  They've been mostly just short notes about basic equipment so you haven't missed much.  Yesterday, I got an email saying I'd completed course 1 and that course 2 would begin in early April.  

Edited to add that I still haven't purchased the book.  Modernist Cuisine at Home rolled out at the same price and eventually dropped below $100.  If the course starts to get interesting, it may lure me in before that happens.  Until then, I'm holding on to my 💰 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, I've been getting them.  Did you get the email titled, "Introducing the Modernist Bread School" on March 11?

It contained a link to sign up for course 1, down at the bottom.  Once I clicked through and signed up, I received another email titled, "Confirm Your Subscription."  Check your spam/junk folder if you didn't get it after signing up. Once I clicked through on that one, I began receiving the course emails.  They've been mostly just short notes about basic equipment so you haven't missed much.  Yesterday, I got an email saying I'd completed course 1 and that course 2 would begin in early April.  

Thank you @blue_dolphin! The "Confirm Your Subscription" email was in my trash folder. I have clicked thru on the confirmation email and hopefully will start receiving bread course emails soon. Also good to know that I haven't missed much.  🙂

• Like 1