• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

8 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious to hear more about this salad!

Me too since it is a salad that Ann actually likes. I love salad but for some reason, I hate making it.

• Like 2

The last of the braised ribs.

Meat taken off the bone, shredded , and mixed with sauteed mustard greens and mushrooms.

Incorporated into quesadillas with pepper jack and served with a romaine, cucumber and tomato salad.

RibGreensMushroomandPepperJackQuesadilla.thumb.JPG.465d5aa2351a93cddad090ff42b569b0.JPG

• Like 12

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Dinner continuing my Indian food craze.
There was left over butter chicken and today I also made a tomato based Brinjal/Eggplant curry and a coconut milk based Saag Aloo/ Potato and Spinach curry.
I’m pretty much all curried out for a while now Hah!

7C0450BA-DA8F-4533-8069-F5394F5626D6.jpeg.adf1a317a2ac14cc2f754c32b623949f.jpeg
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Greek flavors roasted chicken with carrots and watermelon radishes that roasted in the chicken pan, lemon roasted potatoes, and tzatziki.

greekchickenandpotatoes.thumb.jpg.92521d22ff91ff66b785691815108bc1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Posted (edited)

Had rather a large lunch so a light dinner. Mala shrimp with Chinese flat bread () to soak up sauce. The shrimp were live fifteen minutes before I took this photograph.

_20240503231912.thumb.jpg.44219f069edb9572d00caedcc6ce7c34.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Saw a recipe for homemade Hoisin sauce for ribs. Don't think it was better than using commercial Hoisin sauce. Might just check out the recipe again and see if I can just ramp up the can stuff.

HoisinPorkRibs4459.jpg.5b867b555b54b79065fd66527cc492f0.jpg

Coconut Curry Chicken eaten with fry at home Paratha

CoconutCurryChicken4472.jpg.1fbcc8b6534496fa5829373ecfd31dee.jpg

Had 4 small lamb chops. Not enough for a meal so I trimmed the meat and did a Cumin Lamb stir-fry with lots of fresh mint. Eaten with Basmati rice.

CuminLamb4463.jpg.b0b5eea3f4d82435f2a3c3bfeb782134.jpg

Haven't made Gumbo for quite sometime, so too the plunge the other day. The roux took the most time but worth it. Turkey sausage (no andouille to be had around me), chicken and shrimp.

GumboRoux4488.jpg.281be06aaa5f35b9372287e2d7a523e6.jpg       

ChickenGumbo4486.jpg.1123df837d765d49fb37d8c0d2e86995.jpg

Steamed ground pork with Shitaki mushrooms and Chinese sausage.

SteamedGroundPork4477.jpg.2cf75b172d337289b7111ac57f99c9b6.jpg

I had picked up a bundle of Ong Choy / Water Spinach. It was SO fresh and I loved it when we had it on our trips to Asia. But I have never been able to cook it properly. It always seems to come out stringy. Would appreciate any suggestions on technique! @liuzhou @liamsaunt and anyone who cooks this lovely vegetable.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

From last night, kalbi ribs (from Siesel's, my local butcher shop) with mizuna greens (from Specialty Produce).

Kalbi ribs with mizuna greens

From a couple of days ago, sushi grade Mt Cook salmon (bought at Catalina Offshore) with red sorrel butter; papillotte carrots with cumin, thyme, butter, and dry vermouth.

sushi grade Mt Cook salmon (bought at Catalina Offshore) with red sorrel butter; baked carrots with cumin, thyme, butter and dry vermouth.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, Honkman said:

Home-made (if yes, do you have a recipe) ?

Yes, home made. There is a recipe in the first post in this topic. Scroll down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

I have never made or eaten White Chili, so I ventured! Once I got the "red chili" out of my head, I quite enjoyed this. I added shredded cheese after the pic for hubby, and it melted in nicely. I enjoyed mine with a dollop of sour cream and dill.

whitechili4501.jpg.f63520ec96f5e72d66071a0b8ea9e6f6.jpg

A friend gave us a bag of frozen large shrimp, so I took the opportunity to make Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits.

The shrimp were large and had a lovely "crunch" with the bite.

Both the chili and shrimp dishes were quick meals, under an hour if you have the ingredients on hand.

ShrimpGrits4505.jpg.1747f2e7c214d2748666d5fef181275a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Several days ago I used half a chicken to make chicken noodle soup for my sick husband (he's down to a lingering cough now, thank goodness.) With no immediate plans for the other half, I roasted it off a day or two later. The night before last I turned it into more or less enchiladas suizas - enough for two dinners and a lunch. Here's my plate last night with "Spanish rice" and lots of garnishes to cover up that they fell apart when I plated it.  They were tasty if messy the second day. 

image.thumb.jpeg.77121a4f3d15e74ded27b2ccf05526e1.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Steak salad with a cilantro dressing. Salad included butter lettuce, cilantro, scallions, sliced shallots, pickled shallots, and sauteed zucchini. Dressing was cilantro, lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, garlic, and a little Hatch chile powder, all whizzed up in the blender.

NY strip steak was marinated for about an hour with garlic, black pepper, and soy sauce. I didn't feel like grilling in the rain so the steak was "reverse seared" - baked in a 275°F oven for 20 minutes, seared on a cast iron pan, and then rested before slicing. Very tender.

Steak_salad_202405.thumb.jpg.df373915fbd14d269528e15df29bfbb4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

20240504_184819.thumb.jpg.ab4f40e251787fedef6df82e926350a8.jpg

Steak au poivre with a touch of dijon and smashed baby Yukon golds. Apparently left the squash at the store or it would have been served with Ina Garten's squash au gratin. Steamed broccoli was no consolation 20240504_184928.thumb.jpg.cdcc242ea98bc8cf1d8d7b3481ca55d5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Had the granddaughters up for the day. They had a grazing tray for the afternoon, then we had medium rare beef tenderloin per their request.
They had only Cavendish fries done in the air fryer and a tomato.

Adults had the beef, leftover grits and shrimp, and a 3-peppercorn gravy with the beef.

This was a $38.00 Sterling Silver tenderloin that I got at Safeway, with a $10.00 off coupon!

BeefTenderloin4515.jpg.a5cd9806a0481a9753525d5c0db64cb7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is an attempt at recreating a dish I ate in a Thai restaurant in China owned by an Indonesian, so I'm calling it just S.E. Asian. I've done it before a few times and think I'm getting close to what I remember.

Mango beef. The cubed beef was marinated in Thai fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and chilli. The mango was cubed and set aside with more lime juice to stop oxidisation. Stir fried the beef, then added the fruit and scallions and heated through. Simple steamed asparagus and rice to keep it company.

mangobeef2.thumb.jpg.43c134ea557a447645ff0d3c9f75926b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1