• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Although we were  only in 90% eclipse path, it was still a very amazing event. Even dogs in the area were barking when the sky was getting darken. It's been known that some animals (humans? 😊) behave strangely during a solar eclipse.

When eggs were on sale, I bought a few dozens. They are taking too much room in the fridge. Have been trying to find ways to use them up. So made this dish for a quick dinner.

Sunny Side Up Eggclipse

Fried sunny-side-up eggs on squid ink pasta, painted with home made black garlic sauce.

dcarch

Eggclipse2024.thumb.jpg.8e3278b4aaeb88401228054f3036b4d1.jpg

Eggclipse2024a.thumb.jpg.3356e01613810119cb10aa248b762974.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 11

On 4/8/2024 at 12:33 AM, Dejah said:

Have had this jar of Za'atar hiding in my pantry for some time. Rubbed it under the skin and on the skin of a spatchcock chicken with some stuffing underneath. Roasted in the oven, and the stuffing was great with all the juice and spices.  We had some of the cranberry apple orange chutney that I made.                  

ZaatarRoastChicken4233.jpg.800756caa07f203d75c10c0fb946e6f9.jpg       

ZaatarRoastCHicken4237.jpg.0a6e570809f1a3f9e7e6a55c12a74c21.jpg 

A good friend has had a couple of falls, so I cooked supper for her and her husband. Made enough to feed the two of us as well. A favourite of theirs is Sesame Chicken. I obliged.

SesameChicken4247.jpg.491d8db5761be54767bba6440e6167be.jpg

Also did up some mixed vegetables with shrimp as well as Jasmine rice

ShrimpVeg4242.jpg.5710e8de6984aa276167b08f73b5e8ed.jpg

Just got our supply of pickerel today, so it was Fish'n'Chips day!  As usual, we had curry gravy for the chips and malt vinegar for the fish.

FishCHips_4257.jpg.39a7298a72fa10bffeed9178d751ccba.jpg

What do you coat the sesame chicken with?  Flour or starch  or a mixture?

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What do you coat the sesame chicken with?  Flour or starch  or a mixture?

I use a mix of flour, cornstarch. Add the chicken to beaten egg then into the flour mix. Then each piece is coated with cracker meal (soda crackers whizzed in a little blender)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using up the leftover paella rice for Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls: FajitaChickenRiceBowl4292.jpg.6fd5c99e05b5ca3b4e43ca5abc0445b9.jpg

Steamed Black Bean Garlic ribs and Mung Bean Noodles with Siu Choy and re-hydrated dried shrimp

SteamedBlkBeanRibs_4299.jpg.15f32b9f89d0cb25e031b8537e2d8520.jpg                                                                                                                       MungBeanNoodles4304.jpg.cc613813d68ce648d524d4282f88d64e.jpg

And FINALLY! Safeway / Sobeys have fresh halibut in. It's expensive but I splurged: $27.00 / lb. The tail pieces were slightly cheaper. The Scene points came in handy!

Halibut4326.jpg.45bb3f61c84032fa9cf8313e09e1fc9b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On Monday for dinner I made this simple sheet pan meal - Harissa chicken with leeks, potatoes, and yoghurt from Dinner by Melissa Clark. Chicken (I used thighs) and cubed Yukon gold potatoes are mixed with cumin, olive oil, and harissa (I used Trader Joe's), let to stand for 30 min at room temperature, and cooked on a sheet pan in a 425F oven for 45 minutes. Twenty minutes in, thinly sliced leeks are sprinkled on top (seasoned with lemon zest and olive oil). The dish is served with garlic yoghurt and a pile of fresh herbs (I used cilantro, parsley, and mint) + a squeeze of fresh lemon juice - delicious!

Harissa Chicken With Leeks, Potatoes, & Yogurt (Melissa Clark)

Minor modifications I would do next time: cut the potatoes smaller (recipe said 1.5 inch and they were just cooked; smaller cubes would have cooked more thoroughly), cook the chicken a bit longer (it was cooked but not crisp), use slightly less harissa (it was spicy!), and make more of the garlic yogurt because it is delicious!

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Alaskan salmon with a Cajun rub in the air fryer, and a Tartar-ish sauce, courtesy of Mrs. C.

Dry-fried green beans with chorizo, garlic, ginger, dried bird chiles, Tianjin preserved vegetable, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, and sesame oil.

Salmon_dry-fry-GB_202404.thumb.jpg.fec82ee9ad8896417fdf02d53f672648.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Can't forget bird chiles (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Korean-inspired tacos with red cabbage slaw - boneless country-style pork ribs were cooked in a glaze made from gochujang, garlic, ginger, scallions, chicken broth and corn starch. Topped with red cabbage slaw with snow peas, scallion greens, canola oil, rice vinegar and sugar

IMG_9173.thumb.jpeg.cb71e4799235dcfbe1c2b71d27a3dc05.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@rotuts I cooked up the second Cottage Roll for supper tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take a pic before I simmered the roll. But I did after the 2 hour simmer with bay leaf and onion.I coated it with VH Mango Chili sauce as I was too lazy to make a glaze!

It was lovely, tender, and not too salty. I cooked the Chinese cabbage and carrots in the broth and it was perfect salt-wise. Eaten with Jasmine rice and Cranberry Apple Orange Chutney that I made.

CottageRollbag4333.jpg.49b29dfdc3d9c1fa310207481d7e538a.jpgCottageRoll4331.jpg.6fe34c4f253d7ae06aef196e753f2e10.jpg

CottageRollplated4337.jpg.6fa792d73f7dd1f8056bebd208d7ba90.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 4/8/2024 at 5:07 AM, Honkman said:

Shepherd’s Pie - ground beef, carrots, peas, onion, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, flour, chicken broth and obviously topped with mashed potatoes made with russets, milk, egg and melted butter

IMG_9141.thumb.jpeg.216692a2de1375bd248dcb840b4046b2.jpeg

Was this finished under the grill or all in the oven? You really got the mince quite dry - perfect. If it's beef, I'd call it cottage pie. Lamb for shepherd's pie. No garlic in mine as I'm pretending to be an English shepherd in 1920, but that's just me!

My wife's cousin and her husband stayed with us for a few nights on a visit to Europe from Australia. Nepalese family get together= mo:mo!

Screenshot_20240413-1114352.thumb.png.d1c2177199bdc19573391ccc82d3f693.png

Different levels of expertise forming the mo:mo

Screenshot_20240413-1114482.thumb.png.6710e2854e49989ce40b08ae609d2f30.png

But it all tasted great!

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Kerala said:

Nepalese family get together= mo:mo!

During our years in Bangalore, we fell in love with momo's. So many options and variations. One restaurant served only momo, each flavor in a different shape, and a unique sauce.

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I first  ate momos about 40 years ago in a now long-gone Nepali restaurant in London. Ten years ago I ate them in Nepal. I've also eaten them in Tibet, where they actually originated, although today they are more eaten in and associated with Nepal. I first visited Nepal about 50 years ago but never saw them then.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My husband was out last night so I took the opportunity to cook some seafood, which is not his thing. Eric Kim's Pesto Risotto for One with Shrimp. This may be the first time I've ever made risotto, and is certainly the first time this century as I never got around to perfecting it. This wasn't perfect, a bit underdone and a bit salty, probably the fault of the store bought pesto. But the shrimp, which cook in the residual heat of the risotto were perfect, though I had to give them two more minutes than the recipe called for. It's so easy to overcook shrimp and since I seldom cook shrimp, I've never found my perfect formula. This one worked. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d454c2759d3043f743d3d5145b852cd4.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dinner last night was Pappardelle with Creamy Chicken Sauce.  The recipe called for 7 chicken thighs but I used 4 and made up the remaining volume with mushroom caps.  While I had seen this pasta on the shelf before I never paid much attention to it. Until now I didn't know there were Italian egg noodles.  The side is shellie beans

IMG_1561.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Dinner last night was Pappardelle with Creamy Chicken Sauce.  The recipe called for 7 chicken thighs but I used 4 and made up the remaining volume with mushroom caps.  While I had seen this pasta on the shelf before I never paid much attention to it. Until now I didn't know there were Italian egg noodles.  The side is shellie beans

We love Pappardelle pasta, especially for stroganoff. So glad our local store now stocks these. I was ordering from Amazon before.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 minutes ago, Dejah said:

We love Pappardelle pasta, especially for stroganoff. So glad our local store now stocks these. I was ordering from Amazon before.

You use it for stroganoff,,, what a great idea. One or our local stores started carrying Bucatini.  I hear is hasn't been available since before the pandemic.  Its Charlie's favorite pasta.

• Like 4