• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Went to a friend's place for dinner last night. His family is Vietnamese and he made some amazing stuff.

PXL_20240127_233252644.thumb.jpg.717d224c6c40f3ec81e699216983aad3.jpg

Dungeness crab and pork cha gio (spring rolls). His parents go crabbing near Vancouver/Seattle every year. They steam them, pick the meat then bag and freeze. They catch enough to last the year! Now I see what the fuss over dungeness crab is all about - these were amazing and the wrappers were super crispy - his parents bring home a bunch of rice papers from Vietnam every year. Dipping sauce of fish sauce and garlic.

PXL_20240128_002120760.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.86e98d352868ff33e1ef5e9d8c1b499e.jpg

My favorite vegetable - rau muong, morning glory.

PXL_20240128_002349808.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.bab64a5f2f644f1bc529ce0f8f17dabe.jpg

Bo kho is a beef stew, he made with oxtail. Really good, we had it for breakfast every day in Saigon.

PXL_20240128_002203529.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e8dc280a989f0c8a0daea393e312a43c.jpg

He also made banh mi from scratch. The inside was so soft and fluffy. Herbs from my garden.

PXL_20240128_020326864.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.1f2f07207594e1b6e702d6aa2caa9f95.jpg

We brought Lady Wong for dessert - this is their mango/sticky rice tart. We also brought a bunch of kuih but they were devoured before I could get photos.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 9

Friday night I made stir fried noodles with peppers, soy braised oyster mushrooms, and omelet 

ramenveggiestirfry.thumb.jpg.04d6712f39b53c7b471a5d6dacb634f8.jpg

Last night we had baked cod with aioli from Melissa Clark's cookbook Dinner in French, served over warm marinated tomatoes and sautéed spinach

codwithspinachandtomato.thumb.jpg.3bd185e42ced0a99298ad743a4f35a6a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

38 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Went to a friend's place for dinner last night. His family is Vietnamese and he made some amazing stuff.

Wow!  What a feast!  

• Like 2

I made a very similar dinner today as I did yesterday :

IMG_3163.thumb.jpg.57861f47d8911cbe2c62349a4b46ea1d.jpg

there were a few changes :  i added one more Campari  , one more green onion , and at least twice as much EVOO

.but the bigger change was i usb the no added salt CollegeInn beef stock.  I was not impressed with it

very little roast beef aroma when opened , and not much beef flavor.  it did have a secondary flavor of tomato paste.

indeed , its the second ingredient.  im not sure why tomato paste is fixed at the hip w beef  ( stock , stew etc ) 

of course the Profession Pundits @ ATK  point to when they add it to beef stew , mushroom stew , etc

they add it " For the Umami "  ,  adside from their pontification  , for me tomato paste has a very distinct taste 

not a bad taste , but its a pronounced taste .  very different from fresh tomato , or canned crushed.

and for me , its very different from Mushrooms  ( ' for the umami ' )  , beef  ( ' for the umami ' )  those tastes , w my palate

have very little in common.

I think tomato paste is added to many dishes , because it always has been.   well before the advent of Umami .

any way .  I added a little bit of low salt turkey base I have in the freezer   which improved the taste of the stock.

in the future Ill pass on no added salt beef base , but Ill check to see if the other brand has a no salt beef stock.

and BTW  I do have a container for Minors low salt beef  base paste in the freezer .  but you guessed it :  serious flavors of tomato paste .

Ive go nothing against tomato paste , but its flavor ends up being prominent.

I leafed that the extra Campari  added significant fresh tomato flavor , unsure about the extra green onion , but it did not detract

and extra EVOO rarely hurt anything.  Im pleased all the items are readily available , and the dish is so easy to make .

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

It really has been a while since we had a pizza & movie night … 

Tonight at least we had the pizza. I drove up north today to pick up my father, who will be staying with us for a week. He was looking forward to the pizza, but as today was the finals & the match for 3rd place of the European handball championships we had (much to the dismay of little one) „European handball finals & pizza night“.

I was so busy juggling witty comments on the game, appeasing a disappointed kid and dishing out a dough-based dinner I forgot to take pictures. Luckily with my father around I could get away with making three large pizzas and thus take a picture of the (plenty) leftovers 🤗

IMG_2485.thumb.jpeg.6a1544fe2c1d224b0a8b80fb9647fffd.jpeg

Ham, salami & mushroom - spinach & gorgonzola - spicy beef, bacon & mushroom.

No complaints 🥳

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 4

Shrimp in red curry sauce (sauce via a Trader Joe's jar).  I jacked up the sauce with fresh garlic, grated ginger and Thai birds eye chile.  Sauteed an onion, sweet red pepper and slivers of carrot.  EZ PZ.

shrimp curry.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Chicken stew with biscuits from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Family Style.  This is one of my nephew's favorite dinners.  All the non-green brightly colored chunks are carrots.  My farm box had some interesting colors of carrots this week.

inaschickenstewwithbiscuits.thumb.jpg.83e20dc82b6197e436a83c85a4c9cec0.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

Not to worry , one last time :

new Mise :

IMG_3168.thumb.jpg.902847cdbe217cb44c52cf462f939930.jpg

this is the last set for now , finishing up the beef stock , and the last of the Tort's

note the Penzey's Singapoe seasoning.  no added salt .  I love all things Singapore.  

a yellow curry mixture w citrus  rotes.  Singapore Rice Noodles is one of my favorite dishes.

IMG_3172.thumb.jpg.70bb7f9e90e56d41fef4a50ae9e49eed.jpg

blooming the seasoning mix in EVOO

IMG_3175.thumb.jpg.18d5804ec44a5dd55462d6ce6cd716a3.jpg

and the final dish :

IMG_3183.thumb.jpg.f9bdc231a7e005647b31ce7fe6fa10d5.jpg

this dish has never been ' a looker '   it might look better w the tomato's diced finer , but haven't gotten to that.

this was astonishing good.  used a heaping Tbs of the curry mixture.  plenty of Singapore flavor , w nice glow.

big time keeper for me.  possibly w finer dice on the Tomat's next time.

Im calling this :  Singapore Tort's

just pretend the tomato was diced to the proper Chef-ie size.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Early dinner as I haven't eaten since breakfast 8 hours ago.

Salmon filet portion over shrimp roe noodles pan fried with long beans, king oyster mushrooms and chili crisp oil and topped with green onion and pepper.

Tomato, cucumber and lettuce salad on the side.

SalmonShrimpRoeNoodleswithLongBeansandKingOysterMushroomwithChiliOil.thumb.JPG.46f20cf87f223b6b9473bdfb4caa8aa9.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

On 1/28/2024 at 9:58 AM, KennethT said:

PXL_20240128_002120760.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.86e98d352868ff33e1ef5e9d8c1b499e.jpg

My favorite vegetable - rau muong, morning glory.

Never had it...and an hour ago almost bought some, but wasn't sure how best to cook it so I didn't.  Any preparation hints?

13 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Never had it...and an hour ago almost bought some, but wasn't sure how best to cook it so I didn't.  Any preparation hints?

It's a little long, but this video compares the results of a couple different methods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_1406.thumb.jpeg.dd976ce4410b726cef37b75f4315b5a9.jpeg

Made these 2 pizzas yesterday during the game (1). ON top, about a 9" round, baked in cast-iron frying pan, topped with Bianco crushed tomatoes (fantastic product), mozzarella, Parmiggiano, olive oil, and salt. Baked at 500℉ for almost 20 minutes.

Bottom pizza was stretched thinner on a sheet pan as if it were focaccia, with olive oil above and below. Topped with a bit less tomato, oregano, olive oil, salt and Parmiggiano. Baked for about 10 minutes atop a baking steel. 

Both doughs were bought, as frozen dough balls of 250 grams each for $3 per, at the bakery across the street (Party Bus). Allowed to rest and rise in olive oil coated bowls, at room temp, until about doubled in size. Best frozen dough I've ever used.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

IMG_1406.thumb.jpeg.dd976ce4410b726cef37b75f4315b5a9.jpeg

Made these 2 pizzas yesterday during the game (1). ON top, about a 9" round, baked in cast-iron frying pan, topped with Bianco crushed tomatoes 

Thanks for the tip on the Bianco Crushed....I've been enabled, yet again,

Weino the Influencer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Big green salad with apple, walnuts, St. Agur and a perfect avocado. We had it with a lemony vinaigrette.

Cacio e Pepe ravioli with a little more cacio e pepe.  A few tablespoons of lemon sauce with some pasta water, evoo, Parmesan and pepper provided the sauce.

Rum raisin topped ice cream with an extra spoonful of rum.

IMG_5508.jpeg

IMG_5496.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

It's a little long, but this video compares the results of a couple different methods.

Awesome, thank you.  Would have been where I looked first but that makes me feel even better!  That guy is absurd in what he can pull off.

...and now for less well executed.  

Moo shu & yu choy

hj2SGIw.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, OlyveOyl said:

Big green salad with apple, walnuts, St. Agur and a perfect avocado. We had it with a lemony vinaigrette.

Casio e Pepe ravioli with a little more casio e pepe.  A few tablespoons of lemon sauce with some pasta water, evoo, Parmesan and pepper provided the sauce.

Rum raisin topped ice cream with an extra spoonful of rum.

IMG_5508.jpeg

IMG_5496.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

Makes me want to tossed my planned dinner!

• Like 1

Still learning my new phone - guess it was on Portrait mode so my meatloaf looks like an afterthought. It was good though; ground beef, panade, finely diced onion, thyme, salt pepper. Glaze was a bit of ketchup, hoisin, gochugang and worstershire sauce. Baked potato and decent greent beans.

dinner - 1.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1