• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Part of last night's dinner. I tried again to get the perfect sear on my steak over a charcoal fire without overdoing the interior. I missed again... took the steak out of the freezer too soon, I think. The flavor was good but there wasn't any pink inside.

20240722_183550.jpg

The only time I've gotten the desired doneness and sear over an open flame was cooking a not-quite-thawed steak over a campfire. It was an accident then. When I've tried to plan ahead I've let the steak thaw too much and fluffed the result! Or maybe, as I speculated at the time, it was just dumb luck. 🙂

Just curious. How thick was that steak? 

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Just curious. How thick was that steak? 

Just a bit shy of an inch thick. My ruler says the leftover bit is about 7/8".

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pan-asian inspired ground beef and vegetables stir-fry - Using a mortar you make a paste out of ginger, fresno chili, garlic and brown sugar and afterwards add some rice vinegar and fish sauce. Sautéed some broccoli, onion, scallions and tomatoes. In a second pan sautéed ground beef and added the vegetables and paste before adding sake and reduce it first a few minutes. Finished with some mint and served either jasmine rice.

IMG_0015.thumb.jpeg.84c68aea572314cbf43756f3d2084c8b.jpeg

• Like 6

Got a great deal on chicken this week.

Thrifty's, where I buy most of my meats had big roasting chickens on for buy one get one free.

So I bought four.  All weighing over four pounds, between $22 and $24 each.   So it ended up costing 

less than $48 for about $100 worth of chicken.

BreakingdownchickensJuly21st2024.thumb.jpg.469ac5ff60510c275c8897fbfa05eb3c.jpg

I left one whole and broke the remaining chickens down into legs, left one breast whole with the wings attached

and cut the other two whole breasts in half, with wings

VaccumSealedchickenJuly21st2024.thumb.jpg.ca0f647fd76d3f8730bd4e76df6dfb0e.jpg

and vacuum sealed and froze all but the whole chicken.

RoastchickenjustoutoftheovenJuly23rd2024.thumb.jpg.45964652f11776c59f1896c78af4bdb8.jpg

Last night's dinner was a roast chicken dinner,

RoastchickendinnerJuly23rd2024.thumb.jpg.af10e482e58e9621ae149227837d3fcc.jpg

with dressing, mashed potatoes, rutabaga, green beans and lots of gravy.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 7

@Ann_T, your freezer must be ginormous!

Another hot weather/bad pain meal for me. Cottage cheese with a healthy glop of tzatziki (a delicious combo and went perfectly with tomato) and my sister and BIL's home grown tomato. Ate some potato chips with, but I was really wishing I had a nice hot, buttered biscuit.  (Too hot to even think about turning on the oven.

image.thumb.png.ec75db456dde3d34312239b1caa4620c.png

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 7/24/2024 at 5:57 AM, Maison Rustique said:

@Ann_T, your freezer must be ginormous!

I love my freezer. 

image.png.ba79cc1bea86a1873f3e817b2a7fcfa5.png

I replaced a small chest style freezer that didn't get used much with a LG freezer with shelves and drawers during Covid when

was buying and freezing more than in the past.

I recently bought the matching LG all fridge that Moe calls my bread /baking fridge.  

Our favourite way to use leftover roast chicken breast.

HotChickenSandwichJuly24th2024.thumb.jpg.ed1edf58a03dbbf9ec3d9d86dc017e2d.jpg
Hot chicken sandwiches on homemade bread, twice fried fries, peas and gravy.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

bachelors dinner.  I found some chicken tenders in the freezer so I spiced and crumbed them, added some potato and realized that I have been craving a caeser salad.

I did what I could with what I had.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4c689a59d6316230657eeaea15e8327.jpeg

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

OK, I will embarrass myself and tell you what I did. In another topic I posted about a friend gifting me a huge quantity of chicken drumsticks which I don't like. I portioned them up and stuck them in the freezer to deal with when weather cools down and I'm not in such pain. In the meanwhile, he brought me THREE MORE drumsticks that he had smoked. I tried to eat one of them night before last and I think I got about 4 bites before I tossed it in the trash. I may try making some sort of smoky broth with the other 2. Or not. They might end up being raccoon food.

So last night I really wanted something more than tomato and cottage cheese and definitely did not want a chicken leg. I went online and ordered eggplant parmigiana from Olive Garden (just about 5 minutes away) with a bowl of their zuppa toscana and a second carry-out entree of 4 cheese ziti. So, last night I had half the eggplant and half the spaghetti that came with it. I still have half of that, the bowl of soup and the pasta entree. Enough to last me 3-4 more  days and including tip, I think it was only around $25. I'm not that wild about Olive Garden, but I felt like I have not been eating enough and I need to do better, so there you have it.

Didn't bother with photos--nothing spectacular to see, though I do like their eggplant.

I still have a homegrown tomato from my sister and my friend is bringing me some local bacon that he just featured on a TV spot he does. Just keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't bring me more chicken legs!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

IMG_2498.thumb.jpeg.9fcb95643e4c3157d8c8c93d02ae1ed9.jpeg

Lamb, roasted carrots and potatoes, corn - yogurt dipping sauce.

IMG_2508.thumb.jpeg.f4a807e2b0c179faff8bf5eba1b11940.jpeg

Pan fried striped bass, mashed potatoes, corn.  Cucumber salad and cole slaw alongside.  Giant corn for @Duvel to make up for small striped bass!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

So last night I really wanted something more than tomato and cottage cheese and definitely did not want a chicken leg. I went online and ordered eggplant parmigiana from Olive Garden (just about 5 minutes away) with a bowl of their zuppa toscana and a second carry-out entree of 4 cheese ziti. So, last night I had half the eggplant and half the spaghetti that came with it. I still have half of that, the bowl of soup and the pasta entree. Enough to last me 3-4 more  days and including tip, I think it was only around $25. I'm not that wild about Olive Garden, but I felt like I have not been eating enough and I need to do better, so there you have it.

I think this is so smart! I really like having a treasure trove of leftovers in the fridge when I need a break from cooking. I'll sometimes intentionally throw in extras to a delivery order just to have leftovers

My husband was out last night so I tried my hand at cooking mussels for the first time, using the recipe that came with my built-in CSO. They were fine - not great but definitely not the worst I've had. I don't know how much of that was me and how much was the product. What surprised me was that the cooking process watered down the broth - I'm not sure if that was the steam (it was cooked on 100% steam) or juices from the mussels? 

image.thumb.jpeg.014f2cefb1b90928e0146dbac1e8af2e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

15 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

OK, I will embarrass myself and tell you what I did. In another topic I posted about a friend gifting me a huge quantity of chicken drumsticks which I don't like. I portioned them up and stuck them in the freezer to deal with when weather cools down and I'm not in such pain. In the meanwhile, he brought me THREE MORE drumsticks that he had smoked. I tried to eat one of them night before last and I think I got about 4 bites before I tossed it in the trash. I may try making some sort of smoky broth with the other 2. Or not. They might end up being raccoon food.

Didn't bother with photos--nothing spectacular to see, though I do like their eggplant.

I still have a homegrown tomato from my sister and my friend is bringing me some local bacon that he just featured on a TV spot he does. Just keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't bring me more chicken legs!

Eat whatever you want! Calories in will likely make you feel better all around. We spend so many years watching our calories and fat and carbs... I'm 64 and while I eat relatively healthily for the most part, I feel no guilt in eating anything I get a craving for. I've worked long and hard for the right to be fat and sassy.

• Like 1

I got home exhausted from work after a particularly busy day. Didn’t really want to spend hours cooking so threw a couple of Marks & Spencer rose veal sirloins on the Weber traveller.

IMG_5355.jpeg.e3025d6eb722a347b127ceaedbb5bc7d.jpeg

Some oven chips coated in beef dripping, frozen peas, all served up with English mustard and a hefty splodge of home made toum on the chips. 

IMG_5356.jpeg.b8b47bd2cfb00b4ad858af7eb1954015.jpeg

Quite a hands off dinner, spin the steaks on the bbq once and turn the oven chips once.

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Having reluctantly come to the conclusion that, depite this ridiculous heat (40℃ +), I can't really survive on beer and ice cream, I made some fried noodles with chicken, straw mushrooms* and Asian herbs. The usual aromatics were in there too, along with Shaoxing and soy sauce. Exhausting to cook; exhausing to eat!

_20240727190204.thumb.jpg.ad2fd864d23770ef0cef0426d4a86422.jpg

* The Chinese is 草菇 (cǎo gū) which means 'grass mushrooms'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto