• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panettone: Do You Hate It or Love It?

gulfporter

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I see From Roy has a website for Canadian orders: https://www.thisisfromroy.ca

For those with deep pockets!

Expensive, but not entirely out of line with the Filippi panettone I ordered.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Okay, I'm ready for holiday presents for Canadian relatives.

But what about me me me me?

@JoNorvelleWalker, from where did you buy your panettone?

supermarketitaly.com

I order from them often.  In addition to the panettone I got my favorite Paesano olive oil, Maitz cockles, and Maitz mussels.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I see From Roy has a website for Canadian orders: https://www.thisisfromroy.ca

For those with deep pockets!

That is a bit dear. I thought the 50 odd bucks I spent for it in the US was a bit usurious. 

• Like 3

My panettone arrived today!  I'm thinking it's better to eat it sooner rather than later.  My guess is that these things freeze well.  Does anyone have experience freezing leftovers?

32 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yesterday I showed a friend the product page for the panettone I purchased.  They were sold out.  I guess I ordered just in time.

I kind of wonder if October panettone are first arrivals of this year's bake or the last of the previous year.

eGullet member #80.

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I kind of wonder if October panettone are first arrivals of this year's bake or the last of the previous year.

I highly doubt these panettone are last year's.  Supermarket Italy is good about prominently indicating old product and marking down the price.  But you may have uncovered the great panettone scandal.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Costco has started carrying it.  A question that has often baffled me is why would anyone buy it 2 months before Christmas?  Do you freeze it?  If so, why not wait until a day or two before Christmas so it's reasonably fresh?  Assuming it hasn't sat on a store shelf for weeks, that is.

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I see Costco has started carrying it.  A question that has often baffled me is why would anyone buy it 2 months before Christmas?  Do you freeze it?  If so, why not wait until a day or two before Christmas so it's reasonably fresh?  Assuming it hasn't sat on a store shelf for weeks, that is.

So we can EAT it.     We don't consider it only a Christmas bread, but a breakfast and tea bread.     I remember a French hostess near t4e Italian border serving us panettone at breakfast during the summer.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

I was at Costco today and saw this.  Seeing as they were minis and came in various flavours, I bought one.  For the price, I don't expect them to be top-notch ones, but at least I'll get an idea of what they are like.  Hopefully, I'll like them better than my recent try for the first time in my life pop-tarts.  Nah, nothing could possibly be as bad as those pop-tarts.

20231102_174950.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 10/14/2023 at 7:10 PM, Kerry Beal said:

@Alleguede does. During the development stage we got pannatone from all over the place. We went to Rulli, visited with him and toured the kitchen. I paid an outrageous price for a couple of Roy loaves that I brought back from the states. By far the best was one we got in Italy - Simone DeFeo - Rodney wanted to go and do a course with him.

I'm going to recommend that if you are down in the area closer to the holiday that you let me know and I'll get one of Rodney's for you. It really is one of the best in Toronto - Blog TO

Thanks for the love

oh my… so many messages to read.

panettone is unique. If it’s artisan it needs to Be eaten within 30 days. We try to use the best fruits accessible within our country. Roy’s panettone is great at 95$ very exclusive.

we make at least 200 per year. And ours have very little aging because we don’t have time to mass produce just yet.

we do our best to make a good product within the guidelines. Our sourdough is in the making.

i think Bianca has posted on our instagram the process of making if you wanna watch it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

bought some - typical supermarket stuff - usually low end, according to the video critique above . . .

and . . . yeah not worth the stamp to write home about . . .

Amazon is sold out on his 'best' Maina brand but I did snag a Balocco - his second choice.

we have both Lidl and Aldi in the area - I picked up a stollen at Lidl - Favorina brand - I was stunned at how good it was - very moist.

usually stollen is rather dry by the time it makes it here.

. . . . actually,,,, we've eaten most of it, so I'll have to do a second trip for Christmas . . .

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 4:23 PM, gulfporter said:

The mini ones arrived last month to my local Walgreens Drug Store.  They are $1.29 each.  Perfect size to go with my morning coffee.

How much do I love panettone???  

We get $10 store coupons for every vaccine we get (for free, thank you Medicare).  We've had a total of 4 vax between us. 

I have used used all the $40 store credits on panettone.   

My husband hates panettone.  

I have returned to Tucson after being SOB (South of the Border) for a month. 

Today I spotted the same cheap small panettones at the 99 Cent store....for .9999 (a buck).  I love these (and yes I have had  expensive ones in the past).  

The ones at Walgreen's last month also came in chocolate chip....I bought one for mi esposa and he liked it!  Sorry but no choco-chop at the 99 Cent Store.  

• Like 3

Finally got the frozen since January panettone out and had a French toast making marathon earlier this month.  Before cooking:

IMG_4652.thumb.JPG.3514e00471faa800a407cba08295d48e.JPG

This is about half of what I cooked.  It is all cooked and back in the freezer and has make a few breakfasts and dinners since:

IMG_4704.JPG.760569bb92cb0c5af2a22cba90197d7b.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG.1fbbb75834365f815b4ad12e30697307.JPG

IMG_4728.JPG.c959df90ec66e5adb83f3c7d61b40332.JPG

Jessica has even taken some to a friend who is giving birth any day now and needs something easy to prepare.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Sicilian pannetone provided by my BIL, he gets it from one of his card playing buddies, this is the real deal. Very light, lightly sweet, that crispy shell on top is the best.

605827F3-AC6E-4B4A-88FF-A96ECCB89E6B-COLLAGE.jpeg

• Like 9

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

follow-up to the Balocco . . .

[[[please note:  no one in this house is any kind of expert on panettone - our experience is limited to the crummy cardboard supermarket stuff - bought once, never went back . . .]]]]

got the Amazon order of the Balocco panettone.  excellent stuff - fresh, moist, tender, good taste and texture.

I really can't name a 'common pastry' in USA that is similar.

obviously, no cardboard was harmed in the baking of this brand.

tad pricey - but good stuff. 

• Like 2

I'm late to this rodeo, but when I think of panetone I  remember that when I was in college I tried to make it one year for Xmas. The operative word is "tried," because the result resembled building materials. It was my first effort with yeast baking, and shall we say it wasn't a success. If I tried it again I'm confident it would turn out well, but buying it seems to be the most common way to experience it.

• Like 4

Formerly "Nancy in CO"