• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panettone: Do You Hate It or Love It?

gulfporter

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's a taste test of a bunch of brands from last year: 

Watch with the subtitles if you want a good laugh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had to laugh at the emphasis on cooling time.     The one time I made panetonne, I followed the directions and suspended it upsidedown to cool and drop from the mold.    Dear husband came in and, not understanding the process, decided to "help" by whacking the mold a few times and nudging the loaf out with a spatula.    Of course, it was so delicate that it collapsed and tore apart.   Other than the fact that it was utterly unpresentable, the texture and flavor, and, yes, moistness were superb.    I never revisited the recipe.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've only had it once.  It was dry dry dry.  

Sounds like you got a dud.  Dryness has never been an issue... stuff is so rich that adding butter on top after toasting seems like too much. 

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I don't believe I've purchased a panettone myself but have often received one as a gift.  If it was a small one, I'd keep it, big ones, I re-gifted but all this talk has me thinking I'll get one this year. 

I'm definitely up for the French toast and I have to say that this recipe for Panettone Panzanella with Pancetta and Brussels Sprouts from the recently departed Michael Chiarello sounds like it might be fun to play with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't believe I've purchased a panettone myself but have often received one as a gift.  If it was a small one, I'd keep it, big ones, I re-gifted but all this talk has me thinking I'll get one this year. 

I'm definitely up for the French toast and I have to say that this recipe for Panettone Panzanella with Pancetta and Brussels Sprouts from the recently departed Michael Chiarello sounds like it might be fun to play with. 

Makes wonderful bread pudding as well!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

@Alleguede does. During the development stage we got pannatone from all over the place. We went to Rulli, visited with him and toured the kitchen. I paid an outrageous price for a couple of Roy loaves that I brought back from the states. By far the best was one we got in Italy - Simone DeFeo - Rodney wanted to go and do a course with him.

I'm going to recommend that if you are down in the area closer to the holiday that you let me know and I'll get one of Rodney's for you. It really is one of the best in Toronto - Blog TO

In the BlogTO list, which is @Alleguede's bakery?

Edited to add: I love pannettone.

Edited by TdeV (log)

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's a taste test of a bunch of brands from last year: 

Regardless of quality, I could never eat or even taste panettone in the way he just stuffs wads in his mouth.    I also don't enjoy it cut in the traditional/correct way.    I like it cut crosswise into 1/2" circles.    And IMHO it should be heated slightly.    We just pass it through hot non-stick pan, not quite long enough to toast.

We go through several large ones a season, so all of this reminds me that it's time to bring (a good) one home.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

I love good panettone. Down here it's maybe yes and maybe no and the quality varies even within the different companies. Once in a while we can find it imported but it is usually so stale that you can't eat it.

I have tried making it various times so I am well acquainted with mediocre panettone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

@Alleguede does. During the development stage we got pannatone from all over the place. We went to Rulli, visited with him and toured the kitchen. I paid an outrageous price for a couple of Roy loaves that I brought back from the states. By far the best was one we got in Italy - Simone DeFeo - Rodney wanted to go and do a course with him.

I'm going to recommend that if you are down in the area closer to the holiday that you let me know and I'll get one of Rodney's for you. It really is one of the best in Toronto - Blog TO

Thank you for the offer.  I'll certainly keep it in mind.  I had a look at his web site also the pictures on that blog site.  Everything looks delicious.  I also noted he has a location just off the 401 and John goes down every few months to see his mom so I may put in an order (Kougin Amman anyone?)  and have him pick it up on the way back.  Hard to find in these parts.  I know you are familiar with Pasticceria Gelateria here (Joe Calabro) and I'm going to see if he makes Pannetone.  That might be a source if John doesn't go down there around Christmas.

Bunch of enablers.

To my knowledge I've never tasted panettone.  I guess at my age it is time to try.  I enjoyed the video @blue_dolphin posted, and I noted the Maina brand recommended was quite inexpensive.  That's not what I ordered though.  I like chestnuts more than candied fruit, and though it may be a sacrilege I purchased Filippi Panettone ai Marroni.

What brands do other people recommend?

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you for the offer.  I'll certainly keep it in mind.  I had a look at his web site also the pictures on that blog site.  Everything looks delicious.  I also noted he has a location just off the 401 and John goes down every few months to see his mom so I may put in an order (Kougin Amman anyone?)  and have him pick it up on the way back.  Hard to find in these parts.  I know you are familiar with Pasticceria Gelateria here (Joe Calabro) and I'm going to see if he makes Pannetone.  That might be a source if John doesn't go down there around Christmas.

Joe might make pannetone - I don't recall when I was there last many years ago. Rodney's Bathurst shop is easy to get to off the 401 for sure. Closed Monday and Tuesday though so keep that in mind. 

• Thanks 1

I think this is Rodney's store Goûter which seems to say they don't ship but I haven't asked. There is no panettone on that webpage but I'm thinking maybe in December?

Is it reasonable to hope that shipping panettone across Canada will arrive still fresh tasting?

48 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I think this is Rodney's store Goûter which seems to say they don't ship but I haven't asked. There is no panettone on that webpage but I'm thinking maybe in December?

Is it reasonable to hope that shipping panettone across Canada will arrive still fresh tasting?

Because of the fermentation process it's kind of like a sour dough and has a much longer time fresh. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I know that I have certainly shipped them for him - it’s probably not routine, more like special people.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Aah, @Kerry Beal, and how does one become a Special People? ☺️

Well - if one is in Canada - one only needs to know me! A little more challenging in the US. 

On 10/15/2023 at 8:27 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Well - if one is in Canada - one only needs to know me! A little more challenging in the US. 

Apparently online ordering will be available in a couple of weeks for shipping within Canada.