• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pulses: beans, peas, lentils - love 'em? hate 'em?

Anna N

Yes, I'm extremely spoiled by the use of good dried beans. I can't remember the last time I bought a can of beans.To tell the truth,  it's a little embarrassing. If I wasn't in such pathetic denial about earthquakes in the Bay Area I would fix up an EQ kit and buy some cans of beans. If need be they could be eaten right out of the can. I've got enough tinned seafood already, so I'm halfway there w/ re to food.

In response to the original post, I love most legumes. I like those little green French lentils but lentils don't agree with me, which is weird. 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2016 at 10:43 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Kay,

I could just about live on beans and cornbread too, and that memory of the fresh picked purple hulls is very old and very cherished. I was so disappointed. I screwed up every single dish in the dinner that night, and most of it was my fault. I haven't thrown out the other half of the package and will report back when I cook it.

Whenever I hear this song, I always thinks that modern day prisoners would be glad to be fed well-prepared cornbread and beans. I know I would anytime. :D

I recently bought and cooked some Pict Sweet speckled butter beans, and they were just about perfect. It was probably the evil cold I'm still trying to shake/kitchen spirits when I tried to cook the purple hulls. I will try again. I will also go back for some Pict Sweet fresh frozen crowders and more butter beans.

Yes yes to fresh butter beans! When we were in North Carolina last September they were sold at the farmer's market, shelled and refrigerated and were heavenly.

• Like 1

Many fond memories shelling beans with family. I grow a lot of pink eye purple hull peas most years (4 to 6 60ft to 70ft rows is not uncommon.

20210707_082709.thumb.jpg.00cf983ddb59f34923ee78717e1f3a9d.jpg20210708_081814.thumb.jpg.eca25f9aaed04139a2caf7861aac7f43.jpg

I miss butter peas a lot. I have grown them a time or two, but I always associate them with my grandmother. She would cook them and other limas with milk and butter.  

Rattlesnake pole beans are a favorite.  I ran a small test pilot with black beans that did fairly well.

We eat beans and lentils weekly, sometimes more.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billyhill said:

Many fond memories shelling beans with family. I grow a lot of pink eye purple hull peas most years (4 to 6 60ft to 70ft rows is not uncommon.

20210707_082709.thumb.jpg.00cf983ddb59f34923ee78717e1f3a9d.jpg20210708_081814.thumb.jpg.eca25f9aaed04139a2caf7861aac7f43.jpg

I miss butter peas a lot. I have grown them a time or two, but I always associate them with my grandmother. She would cook them and other limas with milk and butter.  

Rattlesnake pole beans are a favorite.  I ran a small test pilot with black beans that did fairly well.

We eat beans and lentils weekly, sometimes more.

Rattlesnakes! I absolutely love them and for several years my major source, Purcell Mountain, has dried up. I like them for a basic southwestern bean pot, in place of pinto beans, which really pale in comparison, as far as I'm concerned. Only once have I stumbled on fresh ones, at a local farmers' market, but the fellow never returned.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Rattlesnakes! I absolutely love them and for several years my major source, Purcell Mountain, has dried up. I like them for a basic southwestern bean pot, in place of pinto beans, which really pale in comparison, as far as I'm concerned. Only once have I stumbled on fresh ones, at a local farmers' market, but the fellow never returned.

I was wondering when I read your original post about rattlesnake beans if we were talking about the same variety. The one I raised is a dual purpose pole bean good for snap beans or shelling. Mottled green and sort of purplish pods. Sound familiar?

I usually.got seeds from Baker's creek/RareSeeds.com.

Looks like they might be the same.

Edited by billyhill
spellling and additions (log)

5 hours ago, billyhill said:

I was wondering when I read your original post about rattlesnake beans if we were talking about the same variety. The one I raised is a dual purpose pole bean good for snap beans or shelling. Mottled green and sort of purplish pods. Sound familiar?

I usually.got seeds from Baker's creek/RareSeeds.com.

Looks like they might be the same.

The dried beans I bought for several years from Purcell Mountain Farms were a brownish mottled bean, deeper in color than a pinto.. The one time I found the fresh ones in the pod the pods were perhaps a mottled greenish color but I don't remember well. When cooked everything about them was perfect: they held their shape, the pot likker was dark and flavorful, and the beans  held their shape and were delicious. My gardening days are barely visible in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The dried beans I bought for several years from Purcell Mountain Farms were a brownish mottled bean, deeper in color than a pinto.. The one time I found the fresh ones in the pod the pods were perhaps a mottled greenish color but I don't remember well. When cooked everything about them was perfect: they held their shape, the pot likker was dark and flavorful, and the beans  held their shape and were delicious. My gardening days are barely visible in the rear view mirror.

What few dots I can connect, make me think we are talking about the same bean.

3 hours ago, billyhill said:

What few dots I can connect, make me think we are talking about the same bean.

And given what a terrific bean the Rattlesnake  is, why isn't it more available? When we had a supply we used to call them Snakes in a Pot. What I use now for most pot beans is Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojo. Makes for great red beans & rice and is fine for any southwestern style pot. I spent many years in New Mexico, and no one cooked anything besides pinto beans. Okay, but once I tasted Rattlers it was true love. May be you joined the forum later than me, but I've been whining here about this for years! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

And given what a terrific bean the Rattlesnake  is, why isn't it more available? When we had a supply we used to call them Snakes in a Pot. What I use now for most pot beans is Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojo. Makes for great red beans & rice and is fine for any southwestern style pot. I spent many years in New Mexico, and no one cooked anything besides pinto beans. Okay, but once I tasted Rattlers it was true love. May be you joined the forum later than me, but I've been whining here about this for years! 

I cooked a pot of Domingo Rojo a couple of nights ago.  Leftovers may be tomorrow.  Good beans they are.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am eating White Beans in Sauce with fried eggs on top.  I am very happy, considering that I overslept and will not be going skiing on a bluebird day when it's actually snowed not all that far from me.  

I think I am straying off topic, though.  

Edited by SLB
completeness (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1