• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you need to soak beans for a puree?

chef koo

I know it's standard to soak beans to cook since they'll split, take longer to cook... and I think that's it. but if you're making a puree, is it still a thing? I mean, they'll cook eventually and I don't really care if they split, since it's going to be a puree. Am I missing anything? The only reason I thought would be relevant would be to ensure the ratio of water wouldn't be effected since beans that split soak in more water, and particulate matter will float into the cooking liquid. But if I measure correctly, I should be good, right?

Also there is that oven method, which gives a good compromise of the structure of soaking but without the time commitment.

bork bork bork

I only soak really big beans like Royal Coronas or Christmas Limas as it seems to help them cook more evenly and still remain intact.  

If you know you're making a purée, the only advantage is a shorter cooking time - less energy used, less heating up the kitchen. 

Pressure cooking is another option, either in a stovetop pressure cooker or an electric multi-cooker like an Instant Pot. Lots of people swear by them for beans. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

I have not soaked since @russ parsons wrote about it in the L.A. Times https://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-dont-soak-dried-beans-20140911-story.html  How are you removing the skins if planning very smooth?

Pass it through a strainer or a food mill after cooking. Or even leave the skins and buzz it in a food processor. I'm making to yangaeng with different beans. I have a feeling they'll taste about the same. Either way the texture doesn't need to be super fine, but even if it does, there are ways

bork bork bork

1 hour ago, chef koo said:

Pass it through a strainer or a food mill after cooking. Or even leave the skins and buzz it in a food processor. I'm making to yangaeng with different beans. I have a feeling they'll taste about the same. Either way the texture doesn't need to be super fine, but even if it does, there are ways

Ok I was thinking maybe more fine dining puree. Long sory short soak or not as inclination and time allow but I don't know that affeces pureeresult.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I only soak really big beans like Royal Coronas or Christmas Limas as it seems to help them cook more evenly and still remain intact.  

If you know you're making a purée, the only advantage is a shorter cooking time - less energy used, less heating up the kitchen. 

Pressure cooking is another option, either in a stovetop pressure cooker or an electric multi-cooker like an Instant Pot. Lots of people swear by them for beans. 

I just cooked Royal Coronas for the first time. What a hoot! I typically soak my beans for 4-6 hours, starting in the morning the day off. These big babies could have used a longer soak I think, like overnight. As it was, they did take longer to cook than most any beans I've had from RG. I simmered them on the stove-top in a robust home-made vegetable broth with onion, garlic, fresh thyme and bay leaves and the resulting pot liquor was delicious.  I make a pot of beans frequently and do not own a pressure cooker or InstantPot. My 5.5 qt Creuset is the most hard-working pot in the kitchen. 

As for the op, I can't see how a soak would be any more  beneficial than it would for beans that are not headed for the blender. I would just make sure they are nice and soft and creamy before blending.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2023 at 8:25 AM, BonVivant said:

Also, soaking reduces oligosaccharides (so that it's easier to digest).

You can also do a "hot soak".

This was my rationale, but I think it's been called into question. 

Anyone checked out the latest research regarding soaking vs. farting?

Notes from the underbelly

39 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Anyone checked out the latest research regarding soaking vs. farting?

Many Central and South American peoples do not have trouble with excessive farting.

I have always been advised that one just has to eat more beans. 😂

I was a kitchen manager for a Mexican restaurant. We cooked 25 pounds of beans almost every day. Sometimes 50. Never soaked them. 

When they were soft, we drained them and mashed them until smooth in the big Hobart mixer. 

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Beans puree great in the vitamix. At home and growing up i would never soak. For a fine dining bean puree I only cook soaked beans in small quantities to last just one service, until just cooked through -no split beans, you want the starch and flavor in the bean not the water 

• Like 1

Interesting little tidbit from @rancho_gordo in a bean club discussion.  He said they monitor the moisture level in their beans as they are drying, targeting a level that's good for the home cook.  He described visiting Italy and seeing beans being dried much more than that because the farmers wanted to avoid even the slightest chance mold, etc. My take-home, without any actual testing on my part, was that there might indeed be beans that would benefit from a nice soak if the goal is a completely smooth, evenly creamy purée with no firm bits.

• Like 1

I sometimes/often pressure cook beans, but my goal is always for the beans to be quite underdone. That way, the beans can mosey on up to almost-done (my perfect bean texture).

So, the other day, I soaked one pound Rancho Gordo beans in an IP inner pot. In another inner pot, I put some ham hocks and veggies which I cooked on Slow Cooker Medium overnight. The next day, into the IP went the inner pot with RG beans which had now soaked 16 hours. Worried that the beans wouldn't be done in time, I went to switch the IP from Slow Cooker Medium to Slow Cooker High. Unknowingly, I switched the IP to 30 minutes High Pressure! Tasty, but mush.

So once again I relied on the fine advice of @weinoo and made this.

image.png.0c63495b3aa4c436ee166caf6d94578f.png

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1