• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shellfish fans, I need help.

Matthew.Taylor

OK, my mother, and father

They LOVED Shrimp, They LOVED Lobster.

And they can't touch them anymore.

Yes, some years back, Mom got severely sick after eating a plate of shrimp. Her doctor revealed she is allergic to shellfish. Dad is allergic to fish in general, denying him the right to enjoy his favorite Fish Spread whenever we go down to St. Pete Beach.

I want to surprise them with something similar enough to the stuff they loved, the texture, the seasoning (Old Bay?), something that can bring back a bit of that feeling, with none of the potential for swelling up and going to the hospital. What can I do?

@lemniscate's comment brought to mind lobster mushrooms. I've had them and they're very good.  From Wikipedia:

"They are commercially marketed and sometimes found in grocery stores; they have been made available at markets in Oregon.[2] They have a seafood-like flavor and a firm, dense texture."

• Like 1

Not exactly where you were headed but if thwy were fond of tuna salad there are many recies that sub chickpeas/garbanzos. It is the tratuinak flavorings and the mouthfeel of the beans that scratch the itch. From Melissa Clark in NYT "Scoop about 3 to 4 tablespoons of your mayo of choice into the bowl with the chickpeas. Now add whatever you usually add to tuna salad. I like a chopped celery stalk, 2 tablespoons or so of chopped onion (or scallion or shallot), a scant teaspoon of mustard, and a drizzle of brine from the pickle jar" 

Also  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/move-over-fake-meat-its-time-veggie-seafood-180973080/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

What were their favorite shrimp or lobster dishes?  If it's all about the garlic butter, lobster mushrooms would work great.  Sea vegetables like nori, sea beans (glasswort) or kombu could help add sea flavor.

What's notable about the fish spread?  Is it smoky, tangy, spicy?  I've seen plant-based tuna at grocery outlet, could be worth experimenting with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

What were their favorite shrimp or lobster dishes?  If it's all about the garlic butter, lobster mushrooms would work great.  Sea vegetables like nori, sea beans (glasswort) or kombu could help add sea flavor.

What's notable about the fish spread?  Is it smoky, tangy, spicy?  I've seen plant-based tuna at grocery outlet, could be worth experimenting with that.

Mom seemed to just love Shrimp in general, though judging by her tastes, I imagine Shrimp and grits would be a favorite. Dad just loved lobster and butter (he’s NOT a condiment person.) As for the fish spread, this video shows how it’s made (starts at around the 3:00 mark.)

Edited by Matthew.Taylor (log)
  • Like 1

In addition to the already recommended king oyster mushrooms for hot, buttery dishes, you could try chopped hearts of palm as a substitute for the fish in mayo based seafood salads.  It would be more of a texture substitute than flavor (and I would sample it first before serving to your folks!).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would seem to me you could sous vide chicken breast, cube it, pan sauté in butter with Old Bay, and serve over grits with a pan sauce and at least get the idea across. Ditto shrimp in Mornay sauce.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

If they can eat fish but not shellfish, you could look into surimi shaped like shellfish. Surimi puts the "K" in "krabstick." Mushrooms are a good call too. In addition to oyster and lobster mushrooms, I think lions mane has some good seafood-y flavor. Enoki might be worth playing around with if you're going to cook them first and them make them into a "crab cake." There's a tinned faux snow crab product made from enoki from Seed to Surf that's supposed to be pretty tasty, but at around $10 a tin, it may seem like kind of a lot to spend on canned mushrooms. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

If they can eat fish but not shellfish, you could look into surimi shaped like shellfish. Surimi puts the "K" in "krabstick." Mushrooms are a good call too. In addition to oyster and lobster mushrooms, I think lions mane has some good seafood-y flavor. Enoki might be worth playing around with if you're going to cook them first and them make them into a "crab cake." There's a tinned faux snow crab product made from enoki from Seed to Surf that's supposed to be pretty tasty, but at around $10 a tin, it may seem like kind of a lot to spend on canned mushrooms. 

Interesting about the mushroom idea. I really need to play with mushrooms more. But isn't surimi a form of fish? 

18 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Dad is allergic to fish in general, denying him the right to enjoy his favorite Fish Spread whenever we go down to St. Pete Beach.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Am I the only one who thinks that this is just a bad idea? Kudos to @Matthew.Taylorfor wanting to surprise his parents and give them something approximating that which  they can no longer enjoy. It is a fine sentiment. But as someone who is deathly allergic to one shellfish I can assure you life goes on without it. To eat fake crab, fake lobster or fake anything else does not strike me as something that appeals.  No mushroom, no matter how expensive or rare, is ever going to even come close to the texture or taste of lobster. I only see disappointment ahead both for him and his parents. I say treat them to something else that they really enjoy and that is real. Just one person's opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Surimi is sometimes flavored with bits of crab. Be very careful about giving it to someone with a seafood allergy.

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

• Like 1

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Am I the only one who thinks that this is just a bad idea? Kudos to @Matthew.Taylorfor wanting to surprise his parents and give them something approximating that which  they can no longer enjoy. It is a fine sentiment. But as someone who is deathly allergic to one shellfish I can assure you life goes on without it. To eat fake crab, fake lobster or fake anything else does not strike me as something that appeals.  No mushroom, no matter how expensive or rare, is ever going to even come close to the texture or taste of lobster. I only see disappointment ahead both for him and his parents. I say treat them to something else that they really enjoy and that is real. Just one person's opinion.

I understand what you’re saying, and I thank you for saying it. But I want to at least try, especially for the fish spread. I have a few possible ideas to use. 

but again, thank you very much for this.

• Like 2