• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help needed for marshmallow and artificial banana cake-filling

MaryIsobel

Twin daughters' birthdays are coming up. I have always made them each their own cake. This year I'm making 6", 3 layer cakes for each as their are only 7 of us to eat the cakes. I asked each what flavour they would like. One said "coffee/mocha", they other said "marshamllow and banana, artifical banana flavour." She (and oddly enough her fiancee) love fake banana flavour. The coffee mocha cake is easy, I have that covered. For the abomination cake, I'm thinking real banana cake layers with some type of fake banana/marshmallow filling. I have Lorann Banana Emulsion and Banana extract. I have made marshmallows many times but given that I will only need a cup or two, it doesn't seem worth it. Could I melt commercial marshmallows with a bit of butter, maybe a bit of powdered sugar and add the fake banana flavour if I had the cakes ready to fill? The things we do for our (adult) children!

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

For the abomination cake

This bit made me laugh out loud! 

You are a good mother, making any cake they want. I didn't know that much about melting marshmallows, but it seems to make perfect sense, that's what s'mores are basically made from, right? I did find advice to go low and slow when you do melt them. 

But melting marshmallows on the stove can be daunting for many home cooks as they sometimes don't know how to stop them from cooking too fast. The high sugar content means they caramelize fast, and it's all too easy to end up with a sticky mess, not to mention feeling like you've ruined your cookware in the process. If the marshmallows start to burn, you'll end up with caramel — which, delicious as it may be, isn't necessarily the result you're looking for.

Luckily, there are a few tips and tricks that will have you whipping up smooth melted marshmallows on the stove in no time. The secret is to use small marshmallows, a large pot, a little water, and to keep on stirring.

Read More: https://www.foodrepublic.com/1362521/how-to-melt-marshmallows-stove-caramel-mistake/

Edited by FauxPas
duplicate URLs (log)
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have the coffee/mocha cake layers baked and in the freezer, will do the banana cake layers tomorrow. The mocha buttercream is easy but I'm still struggling with the fake banana frosting and/or filling. I guess I just need to do a buttercream base and start adding fake banana flavour. I have freeze dried bananas, so thinking of pulverizing those and adding to the filling. Hopefully it won't taste too real...🤣

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/6/2024 at 10:54 AM, OlyveOyl said:

And to add to the abomination cake, faux banana pastry cream for the filling + the marshmallow fluff frosting with added mini marshmallows to top the cake.

If you are too lazy to make the banana pastry cream or you can't find artificial banana flavor I suggest calling your doctor for a Rx for Children's Augmentin syrup. That would be a win win: super artificial banana flavor and a healthy dose of antibiotics just in case.

• Haha 4