• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

last garden tomatoes

Summer has flown by fast :( 

Ronnie smoked a ton of ribs to put in the freezer--will probably do some when our hunter friend is here.  Kept a few out for our dinner

thumbnail_IMG_5010.jpg.c348560341068fa91e17b95caaff18b9.jpg

Strawberry/blueberry galette for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_5014.jpg.7121afcdaf3d9962164d331e3adea30d.jpg

First Teal of the season

thumbnail_IMG_5015.jpg.1ab8d8fe95f788477129cd4f656a178e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5016.jpg.f58d68669c739b322af1abd6fa12b649.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5017.jpg.e3ee18b771472dca23e33caecf46983f.jpg

Shishito peppers and smoked turkey paninni

thumbnail_IMG_5019.jpg.1ff3ff0c2029962ac0aa1ef414aa306a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5020.jpg.06a091851e29bcac59652cf34b7bd76f.jpg

Chicken tenders, fries, stuffed mushrooms, salad

thumbnail_IMG_5029.jpg.9692249e59070f354b94d33038546c54.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5031.jpg.cd1c87571f2ca8d1726b17d923a24737.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5033.jpg.a936cdae3f9b86470339a849eb5c159a.jpg

Needed to use some tomatoes before they went bad so made sauce and meatballs

thumbnail_IMG_5036.jpg.91515ee3d7e2bc3f6b999c327f7127a0.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 8

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Summer has flown by fast :( 

Ronnie smoked a ton of ribs to put in the freezer--will probably do some when our hunter friend is here.  Kept a few out for our dinner

thumbnail_IMG_5010.jpg.c348560341068fa91e17b95caaff18b9.jpg

Strawberry/blueberry galette for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_5014.jpg.7121afcdaf3d9962164d331e3adea30d.jpg

First Teal of the season

thumbnail_IMG_5015.jpg.1ab8d8fe95f788477129cd4f656a178e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5016.jpg.f58d68669c739b322af1abd6fa12b649.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5017.jpg.e3ee18b771472dca23e33caecf46983f.jpg

Shishito peppers and smoked turkey paninni

thumbnail_IMG_5019.jpg.1ff3ff0c2029962ac0aa1ef414aa306a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5020.jpg.06a091851e29bcac59652cf34b7bd76f.jpg

Chicken tenders, fries, stuffed mushrooms, salad

thumbnail_IMG_5029.jpg.9692249e59070f354b94d33038546c54.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5031.jpg.cd1c87571f2ca8d1726b17d923a24737.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5033.jpg.a936cdae3f9b86470339a849eb5c159a.jpg

Needed to use some tomatoes before they went bad so made sauce and meatballs

thumbnail_IMG_5036.jpg.91515ee3d7e2bc3f6b999c327f7127a0.jpg

Do you ship to NY? I'm happy to trade but I don't have much... homemade curry powder, kencur plants (you can be the only one in Kansas to have it!) Ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Stir fried eggplant with ground pork from Woks of Life - first stir fry Chinese eggplant, then ground pork with garlic, ginger, dried chili. Finish with sauce made from water, corn starch, light and dark soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, roasted sesame oil, oyster sauce, Shaoxing rice wine and white pepper

IMG_8280.thumb.jpeg.484f742f54f120db4b9846ca003f6860.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Been busy clearing and cleaning up the flowerbeds, getting ready for fall.

Quick meals are in order"
So handy to have the jars of KFI sauces on hand:

Chicken in Vindaloo sauce, and Romano beans in coconut milk.                    

ChickenVindalooplated2155.jpg.715af116452ab82b5abf4084a8294deb.jpg

Put the sous vide to work on a couple of Sterling Silver sirloin tip roasts. They were on sale at Safeway. It was sold as SS Sirloin Tip Royale: marinated and fat cap tied on. I figured they'd be a tough cut, so I experimented with the sous vide. One had a bit more fat and gristle, so it was done at 135F for 8 hours. After cooling and in the fridge overnight, it was fine sliced thinly for sandwiches.
The second one looked leaner, so I did it at 135 overnight for 12 hours. Gave it to my grandson and he said it was good - tender. He liked it because it fit his diet. I had a little piece and it still had a little bit of chew. Won't be buying anymore sirloin tip roast, but a good experiment, and the grandson was rewarded for his help in the garden.

8hoursousvidetip2134.jpg.ab3d937c02886a9ce78513ad9171d3c8.jpg12hoursousvide2135.jpg.3f0643f6d5866dd7f7b69bb7e9887d0b.jpg

I also had a boneless leg of lamb, a sales item again from Safeway. Rubbed it with Harissa and into the sous vide for 4 hours.The "membrane" was still chewy but the meat was fine. Used up the remainder of the Chicken Vindaloo sauce and green beans from previous meal.

Sousvidelegoflamb2161.jpg.376592707f1d3b9462bc1e8836578832.jpg

My sister had sent us a bag of large dehydrated shrimp for making joongzhi. Had a few leftover and cooked it with Fun See (mung bean thread). Added some large "fresh shrimp" sauteed in spicy ketsup.

Shrimp2waysFunSee2122.jpg.630d47709f4b259098736173685279c0.jpg

A cousin sent over his Chinese version of Beaver Tails". I reheated one and sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar. It was good, but pretty heavy. Hubby and I shared the smallest one.

ChineseBeavertail2159.jpg.53844d3469cb00bf4994deb3cc981193.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 18

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Smoked a few boneless chicken thighs the other day.  Have two more to smoke.   My smoker was acting like its on its last leg which it is.   House is on the market with a contract.  Will be temporarily living in a one bedroom condo on Sand Key Florida.   This should be interesting 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Smoked a few boneless chicken thighs the other day.  Have two more to smoke.   My smoker was acting like its on its last leg which it is.   House is on the market with a contract.  Will be temporarily living in a one bedroom condo on Sand Key Florida.   This should be interesting 

Never had them smoked - need to. Good cooks always wend their way thru challenges like your move. Prompts innovation ;

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Never had them smoked - need to. Good cooks always wend their way thru challenges like your move. Prompts innovation ;

I have my chosen knives, maybe more than I need, and a couple of pots and pans picked out to take on this journey.  The rest are heading to a storage unit.  And chicken thighs are excellent on a smoker.  The extra moisture in thighs plays well in that application.  

As for the move, the beach takes the sting out of leaving my big house on an acre lot.  That much land is a rarity where I live in Florida.  A somewhat unique neighborhood 

• Like 4

I am really getting tired of delivery meals, but have no real choice. Tonight, I went with one I've had many times, but it arrived with a twist. 海鲜炒饭 (hǎi xiān chǎo fàn) seafood fried rice with extra shrimp to help out the squid, mussels and scallops. It came topped with an unordered or charged for 烤鸡腿 (kǎo jī tuǐ) grilled chicken thigh. Bonus.

_20230921183825.thumb.jpg.97abe686c008b7181d7261f8d5755ca0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Being on vacation means eating out a lot, which we don't do often at home. We are in Highlands NC.  Our first splurge dinner was a popular place called "Wild Thyme."  They had a special of pan-fried grouper. I'm a grouper groupie, so that was a no-brainer choice. It was the best piece of fish I've eaten in ages. It came with a humble sauce that was a little lemony with capers that was really good. I ordered the sauce on the side because I like my fish fairly plain and usually find sauces  too heavy handed.

We are trying to eat half our meals in our airbnb, so two days later we ate at "Gracious Plates," a restaurant in nearby Franklin that bills itself as "farm to fork." The star of the meal was the fried green tomatoes. They had a light crispy tempura batter. The tomatoes were sweet-tart and the slices substantial. I was in heaven! Whenever I'm in the south in the early fall I order fried green tomatoes, but typically they are battered with a thick cornmeal crust that dwarfs the tomatoes and taste like cardboard. These were ethereal. The rest of the meal was just okay, although the wine was a major good deal: apparently every Wednesday is half-price wine night. A glass of delicious minerally rose was like five or six dollars.

We did have an appetizer earlier in the afternoon. A roadside stand was advertising hot boiled peanuts, which I can never resist. These were cooked perfectly. It's the next morning and I'm already craving more. This is a "cabin in the woods" kind of vacation. We are at 4000 feet elevation and surrounded by dense trees. It's so dark as a result we are sleeping in late every day. The residents of these mountain towns are hearty folk. At "Wild Thyme" we opted to eat dinner indoors. They told us they don't drag out the patio heaters until November, when there's a chance of snow.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Being on vacation means eating out a lot, which we don't do often at home. We are in Highlands NC.  Our first splurge dinner was a popular place called "Wild Thyme."  They had a special of pan-fried grouper. I'm a grouper groupie, so that was a no-brainer choice. It was the best piece of fish I've eaten in ages. It came with a humble sauce that was a little lemony with capers that was really good. I ordered the sauce on the side because I like my fish fairly plain and usually find sauces  too heavy handed.

We are trying to eat half our meals in our airbnb, so two days later we ate at "Gracious Plates," a restaurant in nearby Franklin that bills itself as "farm to fork." The star of the meal was the fried green tomatoes. They had a light crispy tempura batter. The tomatoes were sweet-tart and the slices substantial. I was in heaven! Whenever I'm in the south in the early fall I order fried green tomatoes, but typically they are battered with a thick cornmeal crust that dwarfs the tomatoes and taste like cardboard. These were ethereal. The rest of the meal was just okay, although the wine was a major good deal: apparently every Wednesday is half-price wine night. A glass of delicious minerally rose was like five or six dollars.

We did have an appetizer earlier in the afternoon. A roadside stand was advertising hot boiled peanuts, which I can never resist. These were cooked perfectly. It's the next morning and I'm already craving more. This is a "cabin in the woods" kind of vacation. We are at 4000 feet elevation and surrounded by dense trees. It's so dark as a result we are sleeping in late every day. The residents of these mountain towns are hearty folk. At "Wild Thyme" we opted to eat dinner indoors. They told us they don't drag out the patio heaters until November, when there's a chance of snow.

Sounds awesome.

And it is always enchanting and mystical to wake up deep in the woods surrounded by nature. 

48 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Sounds awesome.

And it is always enchanting and mystical to wake up deep in the woods surrounded by nature. 

Well, yes, but this cabin in the woods is deep enough in that it doesn't see sunlight. So it's problematic sitting out on the deck as September is chillier than I expected. Next time I do a mountain vacation it will be in high summer. I'm more of a seaside or desert person, so this is novel for me. The darkness in the cabin isn't a problem for my husband, but I have a particular retinal condition that demands a lot of light. Every Friday thru Sunday will be spent at my daughter's place in Decatur, GA, where it is currently 80 degrees. The rest of the week will be spent looking at waterfalls and checking out small towns. This is Cherokee country. There must have been a lot of Scots settled here, because the Tartan Museum is in nearby Franklin. Besides the museum, for which they charge, there's more merch than you can shake a stick at, especially if you need to wear a tie showing your clan pattern. If you love plaid, this is your happy place.

• Like 4

@Duvel re: German Oktoberfest.

When I was a grad student at U. of Toronto in the early to mid eighties one on our must do annual road trips would be to the Waterloo Kitchener Oktoberfest (always had a place to stay with someone, since there was usually as many as could fit into a car, one of us had gone to school with).

One food item that was new to us was slow cooked and roasted pig tails with a mustard dipping sauce. Like a happy marriage between chicken wings and feet. Crunchy skin.

Are these typical?

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

12 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I caught a cold Charlie just got over. I didn't feel like doing anything yesterday but I had all the stuff to make these Fajitas and some bean cakes with salsa.  IMHO it wasn't worth the effort. I may go to bed early.  Charlie cleaned up the kitchen.

IMG_1180.jpg

Sorry you eel like crud. The bean cakes sound interesting. When you eel better maybe you can explain. 

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sorry you eel like crud. The bean cakes sound interesting. When you eel better maybe you can explain. 

The pinto bean cakes recipe  with the avocado salsa are on my food blog listed below. They are mashed pinto beans mixed with corn meal, red onion, salt, pepper, onion powder and smoked paprika.  They are formed into cakes and sauteed in oil until crispy on the outside.

• Like 1