• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

When you place your order you have to check a box to indicate if you want the utenil pack or not. You get one no matter what you select!

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We have the same thing (minus the toothpick).  You get the utensils whether you want them or not.

Opposite experience here. I was traveling and grabbed a takeout curry to eat in the hotel. No utensils whatsoever.

That was a very good but very sloppy meal. 🙄

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We have the same thing (minus the toothpick).  You get the utensils whether you want them or not.  My wife says that one of the reasons she loves going to Asia is that you can pick your teeth at the table and not offend anyone...

So long as you use one hand to hold the stick and the other to cover your mouth.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Opposite experience here. I was traveling and grabbed a takeout curry to eat in the hotel. No utensils whatsoever.

That was a very good but very sloppy meal. 🙄

I carry a small bamboo utensil in my bag. It's not a spork, because one end is a fork and the other end is a spoon, but every once in a while it proves to me how indispensable it is. And how clever I am. I also carry a tiny tube of good salt. That started because once in an artisan ice cream store I ordered sweet corn ice cream. The were charging 25 cents for a sprinkle of salt and that pissed me off no end.

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

that pissed me off no end

That reminds me of when Nathan's Hot Dogs came to Costa Rica. We made a special trip to their first location just get a good hot dog. They were over $6 a piece but what the heck. When we were served they asked us if we wanted onions on ours, sure, would you like some dill pickle, sure, Etc. When we went to pay for them they were each over $16 a piece with tax. It seems like the only free condiment that you got was mustard, everything else was over a dollar a piece. That was the last time we went and within a year there were no more Nathan's Hot Dog franchises in Costa Rica.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Made a batch of baked bao yesterday for a 'grazer's pot luck': pork, mushrooms and caramelized onions in a mildly spicy mustard sauce.

A lot of good food however no photos. I made twelve, taste tested one, saved one for myself and brought the remaining ten.

PorkMushroomandRoastedOnionBuns1.thumb.JPG.be325d5a2a5a0b3ca9600919065b9252.JPGPorkMushroomandRoastedOnionBuns2.thumb.JPG.c6fc5e722022cb896520361d9947e3e5.JPGDSCN1003.thumb.JPG.b72aeb55120d962b9044d693d19eeb0e.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Those piparra peppers are singularly dellicious. One jar doesn't last long chez moi.

They are.  Wish I had discovered piparra peppers earlier in life.  Three more jars arrived from Supermarketitaly.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Pretty adorable - little bear sausage.  About the ony thng I can think of here are Mickey Mouse pancakes - you make a regular pancake with round ears added - maybe eyes , nose and smile out of raisins,chocolate chips...

• Like 1

Pesto_shrimp_202307.thumb.jpg.71c67ad9212870844e67aa5e55aa5176.jpg

Pasta with pesto, shrimp, and feta cheese (we just finished a nice block of parmesan, dangit). Shrimp were tossed with smoked paprika and black pepper before searing, and then set aside to rest. Peas with butter and tarragon.

Not sure there are many pantry meals left - I might need to break down and get groceries.  🙄

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

My son is leaving in the morning to meet friends for a float trip in the  Ozarks. Three friends are riding with him and will spend the night here to leave early. To feed them I made a larger version of shrimp with pasta, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach in a cream sauce.

IMG_1069.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 6

14 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

My son is leaving in the morning to meet friends for a float trip in the  Ozarks. Three friends are riding with him and will spend the night here to leave early. To feed them I made a larger version of shrimp with pasta, sun-dried tomatoes in a cream sauce.

Kinda like carb loading before a marathon. Hope his trip is joyful.

• Thanks 1

I was having a dinner meeting with my staff to plan an upcoming conference, and since we're in the Southern Hemisphere, my brilliant wife suggested we do 'Christmas in July.'

I can take credit for precisely zero in this - I was busy on other things, but in no particular order:

Bacon Candy, by my wife:

1.thumb.jpeg.49cc23f1d2573f471926b1549d516f1f.jpeg

She cooked it slowly with brown sugar, fresh orange juice, black pepper, and some chili flake. This was a hit and disappeared immediately.

Eldest daughter knocked herself out on desserts:4.thumb.jpeg.268f7e4a6d5a747e26c8c3805d59f223.jpeg5.thumb.jpeg.c44feb43d1dc77220de7f0d60feaf9c0.jpeg

Banana loaf, lemon loaf, orange loaf, chocolate chip cookies, and ginger cookies.

As for the ginger cookies (star shaped ones in the white dish): The recipe said ground ginger, and she (a naturally gifted baker) had a brain fart and though they meant literally 'ground fresh ginger' rather than the ginger you use from the spice jar. However, it was amazing. They were very spicy (I'm eating one now), and somehow ended up with a deep molasses-y flavor as well.

My wife made the pumpkin pie, which is a huge hit here. 

Charcuterie boards by my eldest daughter:

2.thumb.jpeg.3689f758958a27f0794ad4337aca3dc9.jpeg3.thumb.jpeg.c9ed875430af48a3f9085ab2ce09d03d.jpeg

And...I didn't even get picture of the 'real' food.

My wife made an amazing sweet ham, others brought: 2 different curries, a leg of lamb, a very traditional South African chicken stew with dumplings, beet-root salad, potato salad, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. By the time we were eating I was stuffed on the charcuterie and headed toward a food coma.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 8

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

5 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

I was having a dinner meeting with my staff to plan an upcoming conference, and since we're in the Southern Hemisphere, my brilliant wife suggested we do 'Christmas in July.'

WOW!!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

I can take credit for precisely zero in this - I was busy on other things, but in no particular order:

Bacon Candy, by my wife:

1.thumb.jpeg.49cc23f1d2573f471926b1549d516f1f.jpeg

She cooked it slowly with brown sugar, fresh orange juice, black pepper, and some chili flake. This was a hit and disappeared immediately.

Eldest daughter knocked herself out on desserts:4.thumb.jpeg.268f7e4a6d5a747e26c8c3805d59f223.jpeg5.thumb.jpeg.c44feb43d1dc77220de7f0d60feaf9c0.jpeg

Banana loaf, lemon loaf, orange loaf, chocolate chip cookies, and ginger cookies.

As for the ginger cookies (star shaped ones in the white dish): The recipe said ground ginger, and she (a naturally gifted baker) had a brain fart and though they meant literally 'ground fresh ginger' rather than the ginger you use from the spice jar. However, it was amazing. They were very spicy (I'm eating one now), and somehow ended up with a deep molasses-y flavor as well.

My wife made the pumpkin pie, which is a huge hit here. 

Charcuterie boards by my eldest daughter:

2.thumb.jpeg.3689f758958a27f0794ad4337aca3dc9.jpeg3.thumb.jpeg.c9ed875430af48a3f9085ab2ce09d03d.jpeg

And...I didn't even get picture of the 'real' food.

My wife made an amazing sweet ham, others brought: 2 different curries, a leg of lamb, a very traditional South African chicken stew with dumplings, beet-root salad, potato salad, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. By the time we were eating I was stuffed on the charcuterie and headed toward a food coma.

It all looks amazing!  I would love those ginger cookies.  The spicier the better.  Most ginger cookies are too sweet for me.

Last night, coconut rice bowls with chicken in peanut sauce and cucumbers.  

chickensatay.thumb.jpg.1cd2a85d1ce6ed486624f9422d046c2c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Chicken curry (from Kevin's) with rice and green beans.  My wife liked the curry but I did not.  They must have used a lot of cilantro in the sauce (which wasn't visible) because I am one of those where cilantro tastes like soap.

chicken-curry.jpg.dbf03ab8eca8e54bc5e48e2aa6389729.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Small piece grilled salmon with Trader Joe's Corn Relish.  I found the relish too sweet....next time will add fresh squeezed lime.  

salcorn.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Chicken curry (from Kevin's) with rice and green beans.  My wife liked the curry but I did not.  They must have used a lot of cilantro in the sauce (which wasn't visible) because I am one of those where cilantro tastes like soap.

chicken-curry.jpg.dbf03ab8eca8e54bc5e48e2aa6389729.jpg

If it's a Thai curry, it's common to use cilantro roots in the paste.

• Like 1

A rather busy week draws towards its end. On a Friday I feel a bit more relaxed to cook, but still comfort food is needed …

In preparation, using my panko import from Japan …

IMG_0228.thumb.jpeg.33e60e4c59a93f07ab352f57ff2d3b8c.jpeg

Schnitzel, mixed mushroom sauce (I love those dried death trumpets), tomato basil salad and a mix of oven fries and tater tots (both commercial, adjusted oven times) …

IMG_0230.thumb.jpeg.6ed0033569f615f7a8bd3d6eadd2e6f3.jpeg

The manifestation of the whole ensemble on my plate …

IMG_0231.thumb.jpeg.c5063be66edbc2e85ce9e03db46115eb.jpeg

Little one requested Schnitzel Hawaii, so on went a pineapple slice and some provolone cheese, broiled over with a blowtorch …

IMG_0232.thumb.jpeg.54ece1d7297d0113ed706eb5d8ea9e18.jpeg

Three Schnitzel left for a Schnitzelbrötchen tomorrow … no complaints 🤗

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

51 minutes ago, Duvel said:

A rather busy week draws towards its end. On a Friday I feel a bit more relaxed to cook, but still comfort food is needed …

In preparation, using my panko import from Japan …

IMG_0228.thumb.jpeg.33e60e4c59a93f07ab352f57ff2d3b8c.jpeg

Schnitzel, mixed mushroom sauce (I love those dried death trumpets), tomato basil salad and a mix of oven fries and tater tots (both commercial, adjusted oven times) …

IMG_0230.thumb.jpeg.6ed0033569f615f7a8bd3d6eadd2e6f3.jpeg

The manifestation of the whole ensemble on my plate …

IMG_0231.thumb.jpeg.c5063be66edbc2e85ce9e03db46115eb.jpeg

Little one requested Schnitzel Hawaii, so on went a pineapple slice and some provolone cheese, broiled over with a blowtorch …

IMG_0232.thumb.jpeg.54ece1d7297d0113ed706eb5d8ea9e18.jpeg

Three Schnitzel left for a Schnitzelbrötchen tomorrow … no complaints 🤗

I'm not trying to be snarky at all - just curious - what makes  provolone and pineapple Hawaiian?  I understand the pineapple, but the provolone? Is that a German thing?

• Haha 1