• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 7/21/2023 at 10:52 AM, Shelby said:

You're still nicer than I would be!

What kind of sausage is that?  Looks good!

Davio's brand hot Italian sausage.  

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I vowed I would never make dinner time a battle,  forcing someone to eat a food they disliked. 

Life is too short. 

Exactly!

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I wish you and Moe were my parents!  I can't say how many times I sat at the dinner table as a kid, for hours, because my parents wouldn't let me leave until I finished everything.  I could have sat there all night!

Oh, me too.   The worst kid-parent food battle I remember was a summer day when my mother gave me a hot dog for lunch.  I hated hot dogs, and she had given me hot dogs for the prior two days.  I flat out refused to eat it.  I sat at the table for hours before she let me leave.  At dinner, the hot dog was back.  I still refused to eat it, and was promptly sent to bed.  Breakfast was normal, but at lunch, the hot dog was back.  I still refused to eat it.  Things continued with the same drill as the day before including hours at the lunch table, the return of the hot dog at dinner and straight to bed routine.  This went on for three days before she gave in.   To this day, I have not eaten another hot dog.  

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

My dreaded foods were roast and steak.  I once hid all of my bites of steak under the rim of my plate.  What a dumb thing to do--what did I think was going to happen when the table was cleared.🤣

My childhood trick at large family dinners at my grandmother's house was to hide the meat under my mashed potatoes.  It was OK to leave mashed potatoes behind, but not meat, so it got the plate into the kitchen without issues.  Once the plate was in there, there was no proving which cousin did it.  None of us would rat each other out.  My oldest cousin had me beat for ingenuity though--there was a little drawer in the table by his chair, and he stuck his meat in there.  He also put it behind the radiator that was behind his chair.  Don't ask me how, but he didn't get caught for months.

Last night, mutter paneer, naan and maharajah rice.

mutterpaneer.thumb.jpg.a27c1c83ede5f9191534b4dfb6929aba.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

i used to take my pieces of liver and throw them behind the refrigerator...imagine my mom's surprise when she moved the fridge to clean!

Now this is the perfect example of why every family should have a dog that is allowed to hang around under the table. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Now this is the perfect example of why every family should have a dog that is allowed to hang around under the table. 

The classic toddler in the highchair scenario except both dog & kid start to make it a game and adult finally catches on.

Visiting my sister. While they & little one were enjoying Cologne, I had to work a bit. They requested a „light dinner“ upon returning, so I made do with what I could get in the vicinity … 

IMG_0189.thumb.jpeg.de415d38142de0a2d7b5d4d07b0c247d.jpeg

Enjoyed with a Bavarian beer …

C1784DDC-7B98-4834-BA4E-4587D76AFF8B.thumb.jpeg.6ca6a88e6a9cc79e11263ce3db0df605.jpeg

BIL was so happy with the focaccia I had to write him down the „recipe“ 🤭

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

The classic toddler in the highchair scenario except both dog & kid start to make it a game and adult finally catches on.

Dropping food on the flour is a great scientific experiment, dog or no dog. With no dog it's more of a learning experience as to how much your mother will tolerate picking it up. My daughter sent me a hilarious video of her twins: One was in a high chair. The other was on the floor just below, eating the stuff that was dropped. 

I have to say, these stories about our younger selves hiding unwanted food behind the fridge or in a drawer or behind the radiator are more sad that funny when you think about it. That any kid feels they should have to resort to such measures must make for a lot of anxiety.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Dropping food on the flour is a great scientific experiment, dog or no dog. With no dog it's more of a learning experience as to how much your mother will tolerate picking it up. My daughter sent me a hilarious video of her twins: One was in a high chair. The other was on the floor just below, eating the stuff that was dropped. 

I have to say, these stories about our younger selves hiding unwanted food behind the fridge or in a drawer or behind the radiator are more sad that funny when you think about it. That any kid feels they should have to resort to such measures must make for a lot of anxiety.

Not part of my personal experince. Mom good cook, I love all veg - my problem was not being allowed a second serving even of veg cuz I was "fat".  but when my son worked in an eating disorder clinic for juveniles the stories teetered on almost  funny but mostly sad. Finding a "stolen"burrito under a kid's pillow kinda stuff.  Anorexics on verge of hospitalization staff had to sit and watch eating. Like a strawberry cut in thin slices over 10 minutes... 

• Sad 3

Zucchini_parm_202307.thumb.jpg.0c55049634852fbc342015b717fe5e5f.jpg

Parmesan-crusted zucchini and yellow squash with melted butter to make the Parmesan stick.

Neighbor's teenage son has developed an interest in cooking. He had sliced up squash for ratatouille but the family left on vacation before he had a chance to cook it. Bonus for us - one of the easiest meals I have ever cooked.  :smile:

• Like 14

I haven't done any serious cooking since before we went on vacation.... soooo sick of takeout and delivery (ours doesn't look nearly as good as @liuzhou's).... I haven't made this dish in a long time - Yunnan style elk with herbs, with 5 different herbs (2 from the garden). With sticky rice and cucumber salad.

PXL_20230723_000421614.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.f44ee05c723a37a9abb680ea105b7a1d.jpg

BTW - the CSO is probably the greatest tool for making sticky rice!

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

麻辣无骨酸菜鱼 (má là wú gǔ suān cài yú)Mala (hot and numbing), boneless grass carp with pickled mustard greens. A Sichuan classic, the fish and greens are served in a (very) spicy soup with Sichuan peppercorns and raw garlic. With rice, of course.

suancaiyu.thumb.jpg.f16715256f16a55a25ca476b33c570a7.jpg

grasscarp.thumb.jpg.044f283df226870a4f9d92071d6db330.jpg

Grass Carp

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

God bless my mama, she never made me ear stuff I detested. In all fairness, I generally didn’t like things my father didn’t like, so she didn’t serve them.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Grilled pork tenderloin with grilled radicchio with cherry-chipotle dipping sauce.  The white blobs are instant mashed potatoes leftover from my recent dental issues (don't ask!).  

One of the first meals made at our home in Tucson that we are gradually moving into.  

tenderloin.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

My parents never made my brother and I eat anything we didn’t want to eat.  I was a vegetarian from about 5 to 12 and it was fine.  Vegetarian only because I didn’t like the taste and texture of any meat.  Funnily enough now, almost 60 years later, I’m visiting him and his wife, he’s a meat and potatoes eater and I’m not so much.  

• Like 3

Picked up Nagano Red Wine Pork Shanks at Safeway sale. They were fully cooked, so quick to have ready. We had mint sauce to cut the richness. Mashed new taters, bets,  and yellow beans from farmers market: 

PorkShanks1546.jpg.3c6318f610d6eefe3136b2c2a9ff00b4.jpg      

Chorizo sausages, savoy cabbage, Jasmin rice

ChorizoSavoycabbage1516.jpg.e9a0728f3790433bb54bcdebe780a574.jpg

Beets are plentiful, so I made my first ever batch of Ukrainian Borscht. It was chock full of vegetables (celery, potato, yellow beans, peas, onion, beets0. Added a can of pork and beans and leftover roast pork. It was good, especially with sour cream and fresh dill. Enjoyed it with crusty rolls, followed by cherry pie a la mode!

Borscht1514.jpg.3581f62e346b3062f2fc22cb8dba9c39.jpg     CHerrypie!1553.jpg.a29ddc0fff0999d28188e80a4d764c65.jpg

Panko coated pickerel, green beans, beats, rice, and quick pickle (English cuke in sushi seasoning)          

PickerelBeetsBeansRice1561.jpg.0dfaf6042e82cd962d95808c3555ce4a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 minute ago, Dejah said:

Picked up Nagano Red Wine Pork Shanks at Safeway sale.

Ready made??  In deli, in freezer??  I'm intrigued!

22 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

our younger selves hiding unwanted food behind the fridge or in a drawer or behind the radiator

It makes me sad because it means you guys were a hell of a lot smarter than I was with the under the plate method

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Ready made??  In deli, in freezer??  I'm intrigued!

It was in the meat cooler with other pork items, not frozen. They had other cuts, but these were BOGO. I vowed never to buy marinated meat in cryovac after a couple of disappointing purchases, but I can never resist a sale. LOL! It was $17.99 for two, and they were quite meaty. We had some meat leftover and had that with crusty buns for lunch next day.
They turned out pretty good. I was in the store a couple of days later and they were all gone.  Took the shanks out of the package with the wine "jelly", put them into the oven at 350 for 20 minutes while I cook the rest of the supper. There was fat, so I made mint sauce for them. It worked.

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

While in Philadelphia last weekend, we had a couple of nice dinners. Pre-show, early at a.Kitchen + Bar.

a.kitchenscallop07-14-23(1).thumb.jpeg.7eee8cdf280f15922e1a5fe638b18dd5.jpeg

RAW SEA SCALLOP  cherries, sugar snap pea, garlic scape + makrut lime brown butter 

a.kitchenveg07-14-23(1).thumb.jpeg.13335070f4887ada082aa92ca59b7b1d.jpeg

CHICKPEA PANISSE  burnt eggplant tahini, shiso vinaigrette (and some roasted veg)

Mains were a cheeseburger for Significant Eater, and some lovely pork spareribs for me (with a sour cherry sauce that was great).  All good enough for an early, pre-show dinner.

The following night we were able to eat at a more civilized time (for us), as nothing was scheduled other than dinner. So based on a recommend from @gfweb, we hit Vernick Food and Drink.

Arriving about 30 minutes early for an 8 o'clock reservation, started off downstairs at the bar, and had a couple of nicely made cocktails - Martini for me (3:1, twist, olives on the side) and a cocktail recommended by our bartender, a Water Lily for SE.  I'd have the Martini again. 

Vernick is an a la carte menu (though a separate tasting menu can be reserved for up to 4 guests). In any event, they started us off with an amuse:

Vernick07-15-23.1.thumb.jpeg.48abc82fad2340568426925d22904f0c.jpeg

Apricot "gazpacjo" and a mini corn muffin. Very good.

VernickCrabtoast07-15-23.thumb.jpeg.5801851eb009f0c7ff912a56e605b702.jpeg 

Blue crab toast. What could be bad?

VernickCucumberpanzanella07-15-23.thumb.jpeg.2d0196e4449d5ef0c6e0641ebd324639.jpeg

Cucumber panzanella. This dish didn't work for me, as I found it too soupy.  Also shared a pasta...

VernickPasta07-15-23.thumb.jpeg.e8544cf81f7b87d43a866e6d02c67b6c.jpeg

Fettuccine w/ dayboat scallops, in a tomato/white wine sauce.  Really perfectly cooked pasta, great sauce (and not too much of it).

Moving on to main courses...Significant Eater:

Vernickschnitzel078-15-23.thumb.jpeg.53ad128254dc247a320b6f3aee172ecc.jpeg

Fantastic pork chop Milanese. Which we could eat basically 1/2 of. It was huge. Seafood for me:

VernickHlibut07-15-23.thumb.jpeg.72c81b1c4786a4f9aee7554f64524a5e.jpeg

A lovely piece of Atlantic halibut, in a light crab broth with fresh corn, herbs. Fantastic.

Drank this with dinner:

MagicofJuJuWine.thumb.jpeg.474080fc062674fa1a639a8f769810cc.jpeg

A couple of scoops for dessert:

VernickIcecream07-15-23(1).thumb.jpeg.47e1f4757c10d674c766ce03f62224a9.jpeg

The one on the right - blueberry, and I have no idea about the other one.

This is a fabulous place.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

It was in the meat cooler with other pork items, not frozen. They had other cuts, but these were BOGO. I vowed never to buy marinated meat in cryovac after a couple of disappointing purchases, but I can never resist a sale. LOL! It was $17.99 for two, and they were quite meaty. We had some meat leftover and had that with crusty buns for lunch next day.
They turned out pretty good. I was in the store a couple of days later and they were all gone.  Took the shanks out of the package with the wine "jelly", put them into the oven at 350 for 20 minutes while I cook the rest of the supper. There was fat, so I made mint sauce for them. It worked.

Alas Señor Google tells me the item is only available in Canada 😡

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

Alas Señor Google tells me the item is only available in Canada 😡

Yeah, the Nagano pork is exclusive to Sobeys up here (like the Sterling Silver beef that Ann T uses frequently). Rival chain Superstore "got there the first with the most" as far as premium store brands in our market, but Sobeys is catching up.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Do you think there's any chance of a copycat recipe?

I dunno. We have 1/10 the population of the US, so 1/10 the number of people cranking such things out.

Having had it, Dejah might be able to give you a best-guess combination of ingredients as a starting point. We know the woman's got some serious chops... :)

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My favorite summer dinner tonight!  All from the farmers' market; really delicious corn on the cob, okra cooked on the barbie (not that  Barbie!) and good early girls, sliced with olive oil, salt and pepper. Some kind of baby plums for dessert. Fool proof.  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I was an extremely picky eater and my father has a chicken/ white fish allergy so more often than not my mom was already cooking two meals. 

But when my brother and I were made to sit at the table? Forget it. We’d throw food at each other and laugh and the pup would eat it all. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I was an extremely picky eater and my father has a chicken/ white fish allergy so more often than not my mom was already cooking two meals. 

But when my brother and I were made to sit at the table? Forget it. We’d throw food at each other and laugh and the pup would eat it all. 

And to make this even more awful, I would hoard boxes of cake mix and mix them with a little water and eat it. 

I was a very skinny kid. The cake/ water mix came from failed attempts with kids baking “machine”. 

• Haha 2