• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

My parents decided to come over the weekend, much to the delight of little one (and us, of course). When I asked them what they would like to eat, as usual they said Abendbrot (bread & cold cuts). So … made a focaccia & a mixed rye …

IMG_0101.thumb.jpeg.7b9f55af1d9ac31963db5b716a08006b.jpeg

IMG_0102.thumb.jpeg.08fd1d6f84e970c4c4a09de9a0f49881.jpeg

Plus cheeses, cold cuts, otger snacks and some fresh Mett my father brought from my hometown.

IMG_0100.thumb.jpeg.c48f58b5c2a553a70a556acd580e9054.jpeg

Fresh bread and Mett - cannot get better than this !

IMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.46f20d737d00a211c579ec0b773d733b.jpeg

Happy evening 🤗

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I just noticed it was ten days ago when I last posted a meal and it was ribs.. spare ribs and today its ribs again,, this time baby back ribs.  It's not that I am getting a rut (I hope not anyway) it is just that most of what we have had in between, wasn't worth taking pictures.  Stuff like chili, deli cold cut sandwiches, KFC, etc. 

IMG_1044.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

22 hours ago, heidih said:

I intentionally buy Lacinto Kale (Cavalo Nero) about every 2 weeks and make a salad with it that I enjoy - heavy on garlic, olive oil, balsamic parmesan or similaar... The curly stuff - not so much.  I find it sweet that she is giving nephew the choice of menu for his last couple days.

He's actually here for a while now.  He was in Montana for two years, but has moved back to Massachusetts now.  He's planning on living with me for a year or so while he saves up some money.  The cost of living in our area is really high, and he's spent the past two years living on a very small stipend while volunteering as a math teacher on the Crow Reservation.

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

That's pretty much what came to my mind.  Who with all their wits about them chooses kale for anything other than composting?

I actually like kale, both raw and cooked.  The things that go to automatic compost for me are kohlrabi and swiss chard.  I dislike them both!

Last night, just burgers.  Beef for my nephew and husband, tuna for my sister and me (pictured here).  My niece pivoted off menu and had a gruyere, fig jam, and prosciutto panino.  The days of multiple dinners have returned!

tunaburger.thumb.jpg.23f5b2f82a6a1fd0c1e235ee207d25c5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

He's actually here for a while now.  He was in Montana for two years, but has moved back to Massachusetts now.  He's planning on living with me for a year or so while he saves up some money.  The cost of living in our area is really high, and he's spent the past two years living on a very small stipend while volunteering as a math teacher on the Crow Reservation.

Beef for my nephew and husband, tuna for my sister and me (pictured here).  My niece pivoted off menu and had a gruyere, fig jam, and prosciutto panino.  The days of multiple dinners have returned!

That Reservation work can be parlayed Into offsetting student loan debt!

So do you enjoy the challenge of multiple dinners or does it wear on you?

• Like 1

Beef_salad_202307.thumb.jpg.9f1656a2a24f34a84ab8a7269e666a8e.jpg

Porterhouse steaks, marinated with black pepper and soy sauce and then charcoal-grilled until “still mooing”. Sliced the steak and finished in a hot dressing of chicken stock, onion, bird chilies, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and anything green and herby in the fridge (basil, chives, and Chinese chives). Served over bagged chopped salad.

Jasmine rice with coconut milk, chicken stock, and a little sugar and salt.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I actually like kale, both raw and cooked.

You make so many amazing meals that it seems petty to judge you for liking kale. I simply cannot chew  it and hence find it quite dangerous on my plate. I want somebody close at hand who is familiar with the Heimlich maneuver. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, heidih said:

That Reservation work can be parlayed Into offsetting student loan debt!

So do you enjoy the challenge of multiple dinners or does it wear on you?

Yes, indeed.  All non profit teaching does actually, after 10 years of service.  His teaching job that he starts in the fall will also count, though he's actually getting paid now!

I usually don't mind making multiple meals, but sometimes it is wearing.  I may or may not have mentioned this here, but I also prepare all of my father's dinners since my Mom passed away last November.  He has an entirely different set of dietary preferences and restrictions!  At least for him, I prepare a week's worth at a time and freeze, so it's not a daily thing.  My brother, who lives with him, reheats the food and supplements the entrees I make with salads. 

Last night, chicken shawarma.

chickenshawarma.thumb.jpg.9d13cced2675121c51b1042b9e26ffd7.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

17 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I usually don't mind making multiple meals, but sometimes it is wearing.  I may or may not have mentioned this here, but I also prepare all of my father's dinners since my Mom passed away last November.  He has an entirely different set of dietary preferences and restrictions!  At least for him, I prepare a week's worth at a time and freeze, so it's not a daily thing.  My brother, who lives with him, reheats the food and supplements the entrees I make with salads. 

Gosh, you really have your hands full.  Hats off to you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Big ol' dinner salad last night. We used to do this at least once a week, but got out of the habit for some reason. I've been doing more salads lately, and decided to do this for dinner. I have a sous vide tri-tip that I was going to sear and add, but ran out of steam...so it was salami to the rescue for the meat portion. The greens are a mix of baby spinach, baby spring greens and baby arugula -- all purchased in clamshells at a preposterous price, but convenient and tasty.

Before tossing,

20230714_195027.jpg

and after.

20230714_195403.jpg

We have different dressing preferences, so it wasn't dressed until serving. I made too much anyway, so it's as well the entire batch wasn't dressed. The leftovers are in a container, and the only thing amiss will be soggy croutons.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

黄豆焖鱼仔 (huáng dòu mèn yú zǎi), rice paddy fish with soy beans. Also includes fresh bamboo shoots, garlic and chilli. A popular local peasant dish, especially among the ethnic minorities (Miao,Dong, Yao, Zhuang etc). Served with rice. Of course.

_20230715211428.thumb.jpg.f614a9ef925a77c932f400dfa3df1b9f.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

黄豆焖鱼仔 (huáng dòu mèn yú zǎi), rice paddy fish with soy beans. Also includes fresh bamboo shoots, garlic and chilli. A popular local peasant dish, especially among the ethnic minorities (Miao,Dong, Yao, Zhuang etc). Served with rice. Of course.

What are the rice paddy fish like?  It's hard to tell from the photo - how big are they?  Seems about 3-4" long.  I assume you eat the heads as well?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What are the rice paddy fish like?  It's hard to tell from the photo - how big are they?  Seems about 3-4" long.  I assume you eat the heads as well?

Yes. 3 to 4 inches long. They are eaten whole - head, fins, tail. These had been gutted but not boned. Smaller ones aren't normally gutted. Tastewise, they remind me of what I call whitebait (although those are salt water fish).

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

At first glance I thought the soybeans were corn.  I was frantically googling flights so I could get you the help you needed.

First BLT's of the summer.  I should have made bread but I didn't get to it.  Next time.

thumbnail_IMG_4722.jpg.567c16c5375746951c8684fc2b3d1627.jpg

Another first of the season--our okra.  I grew a different variety and I like it.  Pods seem more tender.  Fried crappie to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_4726.jpg.23bb1566f6e4b9a64880a74ab3b8e4e9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4727.jpg.c038d13f462edcd3943657d87140dcb1.jpg

Ronnie is having some dental issues so I've been trying to make softish foods.  Stuffed mushrooms and peppers with cajun chicken penne

thumbnail_IMG_4729.jpg.bba8f6a121222d04dac3c0f2544344f5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4730.jpg.8ca5fc61d18903b672ce20faa5a6e6a5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4731.jpg.76af94eb17e151033daf94962ba5c384.jpg

Last night was lasagna and squash carpaccio 

thumbnail_IMG_4733.jpg.11e58e455092958a80e9979bca786ae6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4734.jpg.0399e230851b634310cacfebb74ec79b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Grilled shrimp on a basil polenta cake with sweet corn soup (chowder would read better, but it was a soup).

20230714_182945.thumb.jpg.51ace64b2398e969d113716a21f4aa4e.jpg

That looks luscious. Got a recipe for the soup?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

That looks luscious. Got a recipe for the soup?

Thanks!

Its pretty simple.  Kernels from 3 ears of sweet corn, a tbsp of chopped shallot... high speed blend with cream to the right consistency. Salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes.  I add smoked paprika to taste and bacon bits.  I've occasionally added a splash of vinegar too.

Once I made it and popped it in the fridge without the simmer. A day later it had a little carbonation and a fermented taste. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

SF_cabbage_202307.thumb.jpg.2e7435ccb6c5b34c2cf95eacfd7c7204.jpg

Stir-fried Savoy cabbage with fennel seeds. Cumin and sesame seeds, sliced onion, jalapeno, bird chilies, cayenne, lemon juice, chives, and garam masala.

Finished with leftover steak from yesterday, sliced and warmed with the cabbage.

The only reason I had lemon was because younger son went to a restaurant last night and brought home a couple of lemon wedges with his leftovers. 🙂

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1