• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

I love green beans, especially the Romano ones. Hubby only likes green beans when they are stir-fried with FuYu. Kids all love that umami too. Using up more of the trimmings from the beef tenderloin.
The local Chinese store brings in beautiful cilantro, cleaned, big bags with lovely stalks (my favourite part) along with the Romano beans.

RomanoBeansBeef0753.jpg.184cd40ac7992092c37138bd33cf4353.jpg

Still protein from the freezer: Italian hot sausages on red and green cabbage, sweet potato, Bush Pork and Beans, and my Cranberry Apple Chutney.

ItalianSausage_0762.jpg.3b61a443fcc48bd08177d6bc3f33c730.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pizza night. Clam and cubed crispy bacon ends. For houseguests, like next Friday night, I'll take the minute or two to 'shuck' most of the clams onto the pie. Just leave. 5-7 in the shell for the visual. Just the two of us, I just want it on the table and share. Second pie in the oven while consuming the first. More traditional, for us, ---olive, prosciutto, artichoke. 

IMG_5985.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

A bit of (utterly needed) comfort food: pop (octopus), calamares a la romana (fried squid rings) and navalles (razor clams) with garlic & parsley. Plus some sides …

610741ED-E145-4A3D-B9B4-5384355429B2.thumb.jpeg.90f2d780a6d38753eefb6cca3147cec2.jpeg

And a nice & reasonable blanc de noir from the company …

C0C3AACC-5E1B-46E1-9248-89EE16DBE3E0.thumb.jpeg.ea046e71ebc453097f510cc6ff78ce78.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Made a quick pasta with leftover charred cherry tomato/portobello/capers/kalamata melange, grilled an Italian sausage then  topped with good parm and toasted pine nuts.  As I served it last night I said, "Wish we had some fresh Italian basil."  My plant died several months ago and when I've look for a new plant, all I've seen is Thai basil.

Well, sure enough I spotted some Italian basil this morning and will pot it later today.  

penne.jpg

basil.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Went out for dinner to a little water side restaurant and seafood market not far from the house.  6 oz grouper sandwich  with chips and a nice local porter  to wash it down with.   The food, drink and water views (sunset) were excellent 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

A bit of (utterly needed) comfort food: pop (octopus), calamares a la romana (fried squid rings) and navalles (razor clams) with garlic & parsley. Plus some sides …

610741ED-E145-4A3D-B9B4-5384355429B2.thumb.jpeg.90f2d780a6d38753eefb6cca3147cec2.jpeg

And a nice & reasonable blanc de noir from the company …

C0C3AACC-5E1B-46E1-9248-89EE16DBE3E0.thumb.jpeg.ea046e71ebc453097f510cc6ff78ce78.jpeg

We need a drool button... x2 for the blaufrankisch!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started a same day "Pizza Dough" early this morning at 5:00 AM.
Left out on the counter all day while I was at work and was ready to use by the time I got home at 5:30.
Divided the dough into three pieces. One that was 450g for Matt and two at 235g each for Moe and I. 
Made two individual pizzas.
PineappleHampizzasamedaydoughApril27th20232.thumb.jpg.0efc92f7a1ae7a43b1bad7e729139dc7.jpg
About once every couple of years I make Moe a pineapple and ham pizza.
PineappleHampizzasamedaydoughApril27th2023.thumb.jpg.909a3c1f9ff118a19d90b2c6c962ca45.jpg
I had a pineapple and leftover ham from last night's dinner so tonight was the night.
MargheritaPizzaSamedaydoughApril27th2023.thumb.jpg.c93cff91fac2306134ab541c612ea3b6.jpg
I made a Margherita pizza for me.
MargheritaPizzaSamedaydoughApril27th20232.thumb.jpg.c095727130a7285122a078dca96cb9a4.jpg
Baked in the Ooni.
The dough was 500g of flour, 1g of yeast, 15g of salt and 340g of water. Autolyze Stretch and Fold Method.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6

In-laws are staying in DC so we drove down to National Harbor for a meal at the Voltaggio brothers’ Steakhouse.

I started with a crabcake done right (all crab, no filler, set on a base of something pickled and tangy). Main course was BBQ beef short rib (spoon-tender with a kiss of smoke and a BBQ sauce glaze). Carrot cake for dessert. All quite delicious.

We ordered appetizers to share: sherry mushrooms, broccolini, and a fancy potato salad. The mushrooms were particularly nice.

Afterwards we drove down to the Pentagon 9/11 memorial, which is quite moving at night.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

In-laws are staying in DC so we drove down to National Harbor for a meal at the Voltaggio brothers’ Steakhouse.

I started with a crabcake done right (all crab, no filler, set on a base of something pickled and tangy). Main course was BBQ beef short rib (spoon-tender with a kiss of smoke and a BBQ sauce glaze). Carrot cake for dessert. All quite delicious.

We ordered appetizers to share: sherry mushrooms, broccolini, and a fancy potato salad. The mushrooms were particularly nice.

Afterwards we drove down to the Pentagon 9/11 memorial, which is quite moving at night.

Can you tell me more about how you think the sherry mushrooms were done? I love that combination. 

I live about 20 miles from Manhattan and haven’t been since November 2019 for my anniversary (ugh not anymore).

That said Manhatta was good then, they’ve made a lot of changes since and my ass isn’t getting on a NJ Transit train any time soon! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Can you tell me more about how you think the sherry mushrooms were done? I love that combination.

The mushrooms were firm and not mushy. I prepare mushrooms that way by stir-frying in a dry pan (no oil) until a good bit of their water is driven off and they start to "squeak". Maybe the Voltaggios have some modernist way to accomplish similar results.

The sauce was light - no cream - so I would guess something like sherry, butter, clear broth?

I was hoping for something like the mushroom terrine with sherry-cream sauce they used to make at Hagan's Tavern, a (sadly closed) restaurant in the foothills near town. This was lighter but still hit my taste buds nicely.

Does that help?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

The mushrooms were firm and not mushy. I prepare mushrooms that way by stir-frying in a dry pan (no oil) until a good bit of their water is driven off and they start to "squeak". Maybe the Voltaggios have some modernist way to accomplish similar results.

The sauce was light - no cream - so I would guess something like sherry, butter, clear broth?

I was hoping for something like the mushroom terrine with sherry-cream sauce they used to make at Hagan's Tavern, a (sadly closed) restaurant in the foothills near town. This was lighter but still hit my taste buds nicely.

Does that help?

Yes thank you!

I also dry fry mushrooms. They release a lot of water! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

I used to make mushrooms like this. Just used butter and cream sherry and garlic. 

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 4/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, scamhi said:

@shain

Here's a passover dish my husband saw on instagram and made.

Bureks filling made with eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, and mild shredded mozzarella. Topped with egg wash and everything but the bagel seasoning

Yeah, that's a thing. Potato filling is also common. Looks decedent, if messy :)

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Making amends after a vegetable-deficient breakfast:

Zucchini with chorizo, tomato, white onion, garlic, red chilies, and Mexican oregano, topped with feta cheese.

Green rice with spinach, cilantro, Thai basil, chicken stock, and leftover coconut cream.

Zucchini_green_rice_202304.thumb.jpg.f2cd5a75613a19e923e7aad41932f05d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Third night back home, and since I'm not in the mood for cooking, we went to Cafe Katja; more spargel for moi...

IMG_9181.thumb.jpeg.19aae46f1909c6eb9d38dd4d13dbfd15.jpeg

We often start by sharing one of these with our cocktails...

IMG_9184.thumb.jpeg.d2a22a43819c7133afca99d7bfe36dc6.jpeg

Damn good pretzel, with butter and liptauer.

IMG_9186.thumb.jpeg.6d89ca4bbefeeced4d8f2587d86d2ab8.jpeg

Spargel with new potatoes (and green garlic sauce in the ramekin).  Added a side of hot-smoked salmon, which mostly got taken home to use on bagels this morning.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?