• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I was going to ask you how the Chinese truffles were. After your post, I looked them up and they aren't recommended.

I have written more about them on the Mushrooms and Fungi in China topic here.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had a couple of humongous globe artichokes (like a pound+ each). So I decided to steam roast them:

IMG_9029.thumb.jpeg.b6c20c14a14ca91b3687346c9975e6f5.jpeg

In the Steam Girl, at 400℉ - for about an hour. They were really great, and we polished them off before:

IMG_9030.thumb.jpeg.0c39bc752c74b3a978cc6253580ce1f3.jpeg

Rigatoni all'Amatriciana.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I had a couple of humongous globe artichokes (like a pound+ each). So I decided to steam roast them:

IMG_9029.thumb.jpeg.b6c20c14a14ca91b3687346c9975e6f5.jpeg

In the Steam Girl, at 400℉ - for about an hour. They were really great, and we polished them off before:

Wow those are some hefty artichokes! Dipping sauce?

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

after the artichoke roast 

how did you clean them 

before eating ?

Well, I do most of the cleaning prior to roasting - all the trimming, etc.  Then, when they are fully roasted and cooled down a bit, I pull out the center pointier purple leaves with two fingers and literally go under the choke - it comes right out.  Any leftover choke, I use a grapefruit spoon.

This may be a little wordy, but it's essentially what I do...

image.thumb.png.3dd58a505c3c44bc7ca8e7593d54c831.png

https://www.foodiecrush.com/how-to-cook-artichokes/

OK - it's DEFINITELY wordy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Born in artichoke country and find it boggling to follow your method.   Not saying it's wrong or undoable, just that I've always found it simple enough to just pull off leaf by leaf until coming to the choke, spooning it out and proceeding to the heart.    Your spouse is well tended.  

ETA, that said, your blackened chokes look amazing.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Well, I do most of the cleaning prior to roasting - all the trimming, etc.  Then, when they are fully roasted and cooled down a bit, I pull out the center pointier purple leaves with two fingers and literally go under the choke - it comes right out.  Any leftover choke, I use a grapefruit spoon.

This may be a little wordy, but it's essentially what I do...

image.thumb.png.3dd58a505c3c44bc7ca8e7593d54c831.png

https://www.foodiecrush.com/how-to-cook-artichokes/

OK - it's DEFINITELY wordy.

Though I have never found when cooking artichokes why Richard Olney firmly directs "Do Not Steam".  If I can locate a good one while artichokes are still in season I would like to try the steam bake method.

My dipping sauce of preference for artichokes is an olive oil vinaigrette.  As much as I love Hollandaise on almost anything, Hollandaise or drawn butter is overkill with artichokes.  Your mileage of course may vary.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Born in artichoke country and find it boggling to follow your method.   Not saying it's wrong or undoable, just that I've always found it simple enough to just pull off leaf by leaf until coming to the choke, spooning it out and proceeding to the heart.    Your spouse is well tended.  

ETA, that said, your blackened chokes look amazing.   

I do and have used that method of course - but it would just mean that by the time Significant Eater worked her way down to the choke (I actually enjoy the pointy, purple-tip leaf bottoms), I'd be called into action at the dinner table, and eating an artichoke is already creating enough of a mess that to then deal with 2 artichokes at table - annoying. And almost boggling.

You were born in Castroville or Watsonville?

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Though I have never found when cooking artichokes why Richard Olney firmly directs "Do Not Steam".  If I can locate a good one while artichokes are still in season I would like to try the steam bake method.

My dipping sauce of preference for artichokes is an olive oil vinaigrette.  As much as I love Hollandaise on almost anything, Hollandaise or drawn butter is overkill with artichokes.  Your mileage of course may vary.

But Olney does not not say that in Simple French Food...in fact, he boils. So he must have changed his mind at some point. I would think the thought is that steaming or boiling  doesn't concentrate the flavor of the artichoke as well as roasting does; but tell that to the people who love Carciofi alla Romana, braised and well cooked!

When he changed his mind, he probably didn't have access to steam roasting at his residence like we do!

I'm not a fan of butter with artichokes either; I do like a simple vinaigrette, or an aioli. For these I mixed some mayo with yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, and seasonings.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I do and have used that method of course - but it would just mean that by the time Significant Eater worked her way down to the choke (I actually enjoy the pointy, purple-tip leaf bottoms), I'd be called into action at the dinner table, and eating an artichoke is already creating enough of a mess that to then deal with 2 artichokes at table - annoying. And almost boggling.

You were born in Castroville or Watsonville?

But Olney does not not say that in Simple French Food...in fact, he boils. So he must have changed his mind at some point. I would think the thought is that steaming or boiling  doesn't concentrate the flavor of the artichoke as well as roasting does; but tell that to the people who love Carciofi alla Romana, braised and well cooked!

When he changed his mind, he probably didn't have access to steam roasting at his residence like we do!

I'm not a fan of butter with artichokes either; I do like a simple vinaigrette, or an aioli. For these I mixed some mayo with yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, and seasonings.

Yes, he says to boil, but he is adamant not to steam.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had planned on cooking lamb shanks last night.
But we both decided we weren't hungry enough to do the lamb shanks justice.
So while we were out I stopped into Thrifty's Seafood/Fish counter and picked up fresh halibut again.
FreshhalibutpanovenroastedApril17th2023.thumb.jpg.48bb97027151c17e1f322b641002bf89.jpg
I think Moe would have been happy with just the halibut but the plate needed something else so I roasted potatoes.
Probably should have added something green.
FreshhalibutpanovenroastedApril17th20231.thumb.jpg.f29d1efa473faffb8978e460e307385c.jpg

Seared and finished in the oven. So moist and tender. Nothing is better than fresh halibut.
The lamb shanks will be on the menu tonight.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5

Beef stew with star anise and basil (thit bo kho), one of my absolute favorite Vietnamese dishes. Cubed beef chuck seared with annatto oil, shallots, and garlic before simmering with chicken stock, lemongrass, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Seasoned shortly before serving with more fried shallots and garlic, plus star anise, curry powder, Thai basil, and cilantro.

Thit_Bo_Kho_202304-1.thumb.jpg.40ee96dacb59bf2c6d55eb0f77bc5f35.jpg

Stir-fried bean sprouts, cucumber salad, and jasmine rice

Thit_Bo_Kho_202304-2.thumb.jpg.5c213e41fe36d00b99bad4ea0567b934.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

35 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Beef stew with star anise and basil (thit bo kho), one of my absolute favorite Vietnamese dishes. Cubed beef chuck seared with annatto oil, shallots, and garlic before simmering with chicken stock, lemongrass, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Seasoned shortly before serving with more fried shallots and garlic, plus star anise, curry powder, Thai basil, and cilantro.

Thit_Bo_Kho_202304-1.thumb.jpg.40ee96dacb59bf2c6d55eb0f77bc5f35.jpg

Stir-fried bean sprouts, cucumber salad, and jasmine rice

Thit_Bo_Kho_202304-2.thumb.jpg.5c213e41fe36d00b99bad4ea0567b934.jpg

Those look like mung bean sprouts. Have you done it with the sturdier soy bean sprouts?

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

Those look like mung bean sprouts. Have you done it with the sturdier soy bean sprouts?

Yes, mung bean sprouts. Good eye!

I have not tried other sprouts in this recipe, which takes no time to cook. Do soy bean sprouts cook as quickly?

10 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Yes, mung bean sprouts. Good eye!

I have not tried other sprouts in this recipe, which takes no time to cook. Do soy bean sprouts cook as quickly?

They are like a heftier relative of the mung beans amd to me had a heartier taste. A quick cook yes. I only see them in Asian markets  

• Like 1

Not ready for the roast chicken thread but I think it turned out pretty well, except the skin was a bit anemic. Dry brined in the fridge for about 6 hours. Served with carrots and smashed potato roasted in olive oil and brussel sprouts and beetroot roasted in whatever dripped down from the chook. Threw the potato and carrot in a pot of cold water and when it boiled, I put the sprouts and beetroot in a strainer in the water. Then they went in separate pans with the chicken on a rack. Everything into a cold oven and turned onto 205 C fan-forced. There was quite a bit of steam in the oven and the chicken was very moist. Next time I'll turn it to top heat + fan sooner.

Surprisingly, everything was done at about the same time and even more surprising at about the time I was aiming for.

image.thumb.jpeg.907526df5366fa7e7b54f1d25e509f76.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2f7b4f5f972a160ef07322c2e32f120e.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.