• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Last of the Easter dinners, and this time not according to the plan

Family decided that they got stuffed for three days in a row and wanted something „light“, not a full Spargel dinner with all-you-can-drink Hollandaise - well …

It does look „light“, no ? Meager, even …

0BBA8F8A-6B0A-47A5-BC93-3F0E0941047D.thumb.jpeg.70cb9e5635055a4009b93c85134fb5e4.jpeg

Made new hummus, new zaziki and reheated the cous cous from yesterday …

7E60FD54-1715-4149-9887-74028B1660D3.thumb.jpeg.dac204e1edc1c88a935f62307fff2697.jpeg

Olives, feta cheese and toasted flatbread …

1A8D762A-2A8C-4A79-8145-F9E0C0DAB7BD.thumb.jpeg.fb40aec08da8fe0c9581ee2d23cc512b.jpeg

And I turned part of the lamb & beef plus a bit of the roasted veggies into Giouvetsi with the help of a packet of Kritharakiserved with crumbled feta …

7048AB81-46BD-458E-9A60-73058BFEBFA3.thumb.jpeg.bcfc6d868df346ecb54bb829f8e3ebc4.jpeg

Despite the fact that all were sooo full to begin with, they did a pretty good job finishing it all 🤭

7139C92B-3EE3-4E79-B69C-2FD77075B985.thumb.jpeg.d0d083cb7e2c06bd2339f80f8d81e5d4.jpeg

As usual, no complaints 🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

It's nice to see someone else do that recipe, and apparently without the liberties I took with it. Did you have any trouble with burning the eggplant slices in the oven after you'd brushed them with oil, or are you attentive enough to avoid that particular problem? If you have a special tip (other than to pay closer attention) I'd love to hear it.

My eggplant did not burn.  I cooked it as described for the amount of time stated without checking on it before the flipping and pan switching time, but probably cut it closer to 1/2" than 1/4".  I had about three pounds of eggplant to cook, and that completely filled two sheet pans.  I am not sure how you could fit five pounds of 1/4" thick eggplant slices on two pans as the recipe states.

Last night we had hake roasted with sweet peppers and olives, mustard roasted potatoes, and broccoli.

roastedhake.thumb.jpg.1a5e0b7db1c8de48d61655bc540902a3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Okay, coconut beet puree catches my interest. I've done things with pureed beets, but "coconut" and "pureed" are words I seldom see together. How did you go about it? I've never paired them, but in my head it seems an interesting combination.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have a few (read: tons of) leftovers from the long Easter weekend, which my frugal wife insists I use up these days. 

I started today by using half of the potatoes as Bratkartoffeln. Had to buy some meat to make Schnitzel, because - well - Bratkartoffeln. Also got some Kochkäse and lingonberry jam, because of the Schnitzel

CA59EE63-4A5A-442C-8FF8-277FAF7278CF.thumb.jpeg.22ef2a53ba534af129ed2ac9b73af857.jpeg

My dear wife was initially not amused by me straying away from the „only leftovers“ path, but quickly decided that it’s better to enjoy this type of „leftover dinner“ than to complain. Especially with the bottle of Spätburgunder I bought today as well 🤗

So - almost no complaints !

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I started today by using half of the potatoes as Bratkartoffeln. Had to buy some meat to make Schnitzel, because - well - Bratkartoffeln. Also got some Kochkäse and lingonberry jam, because of the Schnitzel

The wife forced you into it!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I have a few (read: tons of) leftovers from the long Easter weekend, which my frugal wife insists I use up these days. 

CA59EE63-4A5A-442C-8FF8-277FAF7278CF.thumb.jpeg.22ef2a53ba534af129ed2ac9b73af857.jpeg

My dear wife was initially not amused by me straying away from the „only leftovers“ path, but quickly decided that it’s better to enjoy this type of „leftover dinner“ than to complain. Especially with the bottle of Spätburgunder I bought today as well 🤗

So - almost no complaints !

I always do the same when attempting to use leftovers or clean out the freezer... "I just need to run and get XXX protein to use up this leftover XXX. Either that or I do a fridge and freezer clean out and make a huge batch of something of which the leftovers take up more room in the freezer than what I cleared out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Improvised green curry with shrimp, broccoli, and green beans. Started with onion and green curry paste, freshened up with garlic, ginger, galangal, bird chilies, lime zest, and cilantro. Adjusted seasonings with brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and rice vinegar. Turned out very well, except the green beans were tough SOBs.Jasmine rice in ghee to go with.

Green_curry_shrimp_201304.thumb.jpg.653eb2b111ab731f9605a2563eaac8af.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Burger night. Elk with chipotle puree and guacamole on pretzel bun.

PXL_20230412_231649423.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e4e08faa7f682c34dd30b96fbd23c730.jpg

I've never had a pretzel bun so no clue except I'd imagine it as chewy whch to me is not comfortable with a burger.. Can you describe?

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I've never had a pretzel bun so no clue except I'd imagine it as chewy whch to me is not comfortable with a burger.. Can you describe?

Not really chewy. Texture is kind of like a soft pretzel - a slight skin on top of soft. It was fine for the burger but the guac not so much. Messy but tasty.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, chromedome said:

Okay, coconut beet puree catches my interest. I've done things with pureed beets, but "coconut" and "pureed" are words I seldom see together. How did you go about it? I've never paired them, but in my head it seems an interesting combination.

It was just beets that I roasted and then pureed with coconut milk, garlic, salt and pepper.   I've been making lots of purees lately to try and stay on top of the glut of root veggies from my farm box.  

Last night, rigatoni with sauce made from the leftover eggplant parmesan from Sunday.  

eggplantrigatoni.thumb.jpg.3d088f5f753b68c9a8b51d04a34aca8f.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

So this is from Page 379 of 1000 Indian recipes I've linked before. 

I've never made this before, but I will again, oh I will again!  

Chickpeas in Traditional Curry Sauce.

We used a can, because I decided to make this 2 hours before, and we don't have dry chickpeas on hand.  So it's 1/4 the recipe...

But I used way more tomato - likely 3x then required because it was an entire canned jar.  Also I used way more yogurt since I was trying to finish up a already opened container.

Oh and she says this is soupy cuz you add a lot of water, I was like nope - no extra water - cook the tomatoes down a lot but not totally dry.

I've done that to a ton of her recipes - add far less water then she calls for cuz that's how I like it.

BTW isn't this color awesome?

20230413_180544.thumb.jpg.b0e5ac4a36ad19c70066cd79dd27a299.jpg

But with those changes... this was AMAZING.  It's got paprika, cumin, garama marsala,  turmeric, lime juice and much more.

It had heat, acid, and complexity of flavor.  It's in the top 5 recipes easily of all the ones I've made from this book.

There was some left in the bowl after we ate all the rice (I added more then you see here while I had rice) I ate all that w/o any rice.

Edited by Raamo
bad { (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Tteokbokki mash up.  I used this recipe as a jumping off point: spicy tteokbokki  

I swapped out the beef for shiitake mushrooms, stock for water, and used pea shoots and mini red bell peppers instead of cabbage because that's what I had in the house.  None of us had tried Korean rice cakes before.  Husband loved them, I thought they were fine, and my sister hated them!  So we will probably never have them again haha.  We all liked the sauce and agreed it would be very good to enjoy on a vegetable stir fry minus the rice cakes and with regular rice to keep my sister happy.

tteokbokki.thumb.jpg.301db27388f930bd26de68a32feaa763.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1